Scotland squad next month

12 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

McTominay. McGinn. McGregor. McLean. Fleck. Christie. Armstrong.

There you go...7 players that are better CMs than Ryan Jack. Each playing at a higher level than him, or at least playing to a better standard at the same level in the case of McGregor and Christie.

So clearly not bollocks.

So chuck in a player not in a squad and add in others who couldn't play the holding role that Jack could?

As I said, bollocks.

Jack certainly deserves his place in the squad, whether he should start in central midfield ahead of others is another matter.

Given our poor options at right back, I wouldn't be adverse to him playing there.

4 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Just as well you're not Scotland manager then!  

Jack's having a terrific season both in the league and in Europe and, given our defensive frailties, would have him playing in front of the back 4 vs Russia.

I couldn't agree more, that he is having a great season so far.  I thought there was issues when he was in the last squad and I was thinking Chlarke would have dropped him.

Carry on.

Doesn't matter who is in the team . As long as we are set up not to lose rather than trying to win , then we are on a constant decline. 

I feel really sorry for Shankland .  He will be left up front on his own , expected to run his arse off chasing shadows  which is not his style .  The fans and media will then crucify him as being a lower league flop which could really knock his confidence on the domestic front. 

Scottish football never learns. 

I'm at the stage of beyond caring now.

Mulgrew and Hanley weren't good enough to get us to tournaments years ago. Liam Cooper is a good defender but is in his late 20s and will take him 20-30 caps to get up to speed.

We look average at the back and front, our strongest area is the midfield which ironically cost us the game against Russia.

I'm past caring as well and think the group is gone. Good on Clarke. It's effectively a glorified friendly tournament now so why not experiment a bit. The only way we'll know if Shankland and others are in fact good enough is to give them a shot. We are absolutely gutter with what we currently have so I'd rather a gamble like this to see if it pays off.

I'm skeptical he'll be a success as he hasn't done anything at a level anywhere near International standard yet but hopefully he can prove doubters wrong.

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Doesn't matter who is in the team . As long as we are set up not to lose rather than trying to win , then we are on a constant decline. 

I feel really sorry for Shankland .  He will be left up front on his own , expected to run his arse off chasing shadows  which is not his style .  The fans and media will then crucify him as being a lower league flop which could really knock his confidence on the domestic front. 

My only worry, he's forced Robbie to be more adventurous, hopefully Clarke realises this.

17 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

We've moved on.

We have one player likely in the Northern Ireland squad,and one in their under 21 squad. Not to mention our Estonian and Canadian internationals.

Scotland are now recruiting from the part-time leagues.  We want no part of this nonsense!

Giving up isn't the same as moving on.

7 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Actually he's very good at this, he's much more than a penalty box striker and even when he wasn't scoring for us he'd be the first name on the team sheet for his tireless running, movement off the ball and the way he'd constantly annoy and close down defenders.

Being an Ayr fan I'm maybe biased, however Shankland may just surprise a few of his doubters if given a chance and let's face it there's not many great options at the moment..............

McBurnie starts for me all day long in both games.

Yes he hasn't shown up well in his games so far but he is only 23.

He scored 22 goals in the English Championship last season and 9 in 16 games for Barnsley the season before.

Do we just toss away players if they have had a few shit games? Calling up Shankland shows we don't have a wealth of talent to choose from up front.

Fair enough he was filmed saying stuff about playing for Scotland but do folk not realise players talk shite all the time in dressing rooms. Look at that Lingard c'nt ffs.

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Actually he's very good at this, he's much more than a penalty box striker and even when he wasn't scoring for us he'd be the first name on the team sheet for his tireless running, movement off the ball and the way he'd constantly annoy and close down defenders.

Being an Ayr fan I'm maybe biased, however Shankland may just surprise a few of his doubters if given a chance and let's face it there's not many great options at the moment..............

I have no doubt that you are right . He has proven himself in two different environments  , especially with Dundee United who were really struggling as an attacking force.   I hope beyond hope that he is a success at international level and he is given the support he needs to express himself freely as he does week in week out.

What I do worry about are the football snobs within the both national and social media who will be all out to bring him down because he has not played above Scottish championship level.

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I have no doubt that you are right . He has proven himself in two different environments  , especially with Dundee United who were really struggling as an attacking force.   I hope beyond hope that he is a success at international level and he is given the support he needs to express himself freely as he does week in week out.

What I do worry about are the football snobs within the both national and social media who will be all out to bring him down because he has not played above Scottish championship level.

I don't reckon it counts as snobbish to criticise the inclusion of a player who hasn't proven himself at a higher level than the Scottish second tier. It's not a standard that compares to international football. 

I hope he does well and that we have an absolute star on our hands, but I'm fine with people calling it into question.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I don't reckon it counts as snobbish to criticise the inclusion of a player who hasn't proven himself at a higher level than the Scottish second tier. It's not a standard that compares to international football. 

I hope he does well and that we have an absolute star on our hands, but I'm fine with people calling it into question.

Ironically there's some who would belittle Shankland wanting Billy Gilmour called up even though he's only been playing at youth level.

We really are a strange nation...........

2 hours ago, velo army said:

In Scotland's case I seriously question that statement . ;):lol: