Scotland squad next month

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

If Shankland starts against Russia, the game is a bogey.

I’d have no issues playing him against San Marino, but I’d imagine he’ll be encouraged to leave Dundee United in January.

I don't think he will start or even feature at all against Russia.

I'd start him against San Marino and see how he/us is/are doing at half-time.

Quite tempted without even knowing if he'll start, play or be used at all in both games to stick a few quid on him to score 2 or more goals (once that becomes available)

________________McLaughlin

O'Donnell___Devlin___Hanley___Mulgrew___Taylor

_________Jack_____McLean_____Fleck

____________McBurnie___Shankland

Or:

___________MacGillvray

Palmer___Devlin___Cooper___Taylor

__________Jack___McLean

Burke________Christie_______Russell

___________Shankland

...are possible starting 11s from a squad (with no call-offs or replacements yet) for qualifiers 🤮

If a handful of key players get injured, that's the kind of line-up we could be looking at in Russia. 

Couldnt care less if Shankland plays in the Championship, if he is better than options playing in higher leagues then it is a no brainer for me.

FWIW I thought McBurnie was excellent for Sheff Utd against Liverpool, but as more of a hard working nuisance rather than main target man type striker. I think he'd be good in a front two and hope he gets that chance against San Marino.

No idea how Devlin can be in the squad ahead of Liam Lindsay or someone in form like Declan Gallagher.

Used to leave a wild card place in my Scotland squad on Football Manager when fucking about, for the player banging in goals regardless of level..

Fans used to slaughter me for calling up someone not good enough from a low level.

Good to see Steve Clarke adopting the fannying about approach already.

30 minutes ago, Kejan said:

What is there left to lose? You can argue about the Championship's level etc, but in what is basically 4 friendlies now and the coaching staff will (well, hopefully) realise how he deals with the step up.

We don't score goals ; he seems to - albeit at a poor level. Féck it and give him a go, and fair dues to Clarke - I don't think Strachan or Eck would have called up a Championship player.

Cue the ''How awful must we be to be calling up Championship. No, SCOTTISH Championship players,''

Apart from that squad picks mostly itself. Is Matt Phillips out? Or way out of from? No call up for Karlan Grant - as some were suggesting he is eligible ; but then I read he has an impending court case?!

Imagine he made his debut against San Marino and scored a hatrick or even more - Yes I'm getting carried away with that ; but I think a fair few of us would be about him if that was the case.

Strachan called up McGinn, Wallace, McKay and Morgan from the Championship. Possibly even some others I've missed.

18 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Couldnt care less if Shankland plays in the Championship, if he is better than options playing in higher leagues then it is a no brainer for me.

FWIW I thought McBurnie was excellent for Sheff Utd against Liverpool, but as more of a hard working nuisance rather than main target man type striker. I think he'd be good in a front two and hope he gets that chance against San Marino.

No idea how Devlin can be in the squad ahead of Liam Lindsay or someone in form like Declan Gallagher.

Glad to see it is not just Motherwell fans. Gallagher has performed better than Devin imho and should have had a call up with injuries to Souttar and McKenna. Of course not having played for Kilmarnock is a bit of a hindrance. 

Either that or like previous Managers playing for Motherwell automatically rules you out of contention.

Still keeps him fresh and fit for Aberdeen after International break. Silver linings and all that. 

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Strachan called up McGinn, Wallace, McKay and Morgan from the Championship. Possibly even some others I've missed.

This.

There is no doubt Shankland is too good for the Championship, just like McGinn was when he was playing for Hibs and getting games for Scotland. But there's no OTT reaction there just because he was a midfielder and wasn't expecting to bang goals in against "absolute tripe"

How can Phillips go from starting XI to not being the squad at all? While I don’t think there are too many players who have been overlooked, I do think that Clarke’s getting a relatively easy ride for some of his idiosyncratic picks.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

How can Phillips go from starting XI to not being the squad at all? While I don’t think there are too many players who have been overlooked, I do think that Clarke’s getting a relatively easy ride for some of his idiosyncratic picks.

He's having an operation during the international break.