Scotland squad next month

5 hours ago, DAFC. said:

McBurnie is absolutely dreadful, and is only being chosen because he's went for big bucks to the EPL. He is still garbage, and I'd much rather see in form players get a game than him. 

And you’ve seen Sheffield United play how many times?  Definitely never saw Swansea play.

19 hours ago, DAFC. said:

McBurnie is absolutely dreadful, and is only being chosen because he's went for big bucks to the EPL. He is still garbage, and I'd much rather see in form players get a game than him. 

Scotland have barely ever went with form players, maybe Clarke will change that

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I'm not sure if it'll be Palmer or Taylor making way for Tierney. Whichever one it is will tell us where Clarke will play him. 

You may be right, although Taylor’s hardly kicked a ball so I’m  not sure he’d be in anyway.

Well, have to say I was wrong about Shankland (unless Glenn "Kane" Jacobs also got called up).  I hope I can also say I was utterly wrong about him being out of his depth too in a few weeks.  And I really, really hope that we don't just throw him on against Russia and then get mad when he doesn't score a hatful.  Maybe he'll bring something different, maybe he'll really step up a level and be someone that teams just don't know how to deal with.  Or maybe he'll do nothing against Russia and score 10 against San Marino.  Remains to be seen.  Good luck to him.

I highly doubt he'll go with Shankland against Russia, likely McBurnie or Burke given his physicality. He looked to have a decent game at the weekend for Alaves, though one decent game doesn't change the fact he's barely looked like a footballer the past few times I've seen him. 

Not too bothered about Shankland getting called up; I don't think Clarke will have him there to lead the line against Russia. He'll be there to see how he fits in with the squad, a sub appearance against San Marino, and if it goes well might look to get a move for himself somewhere where he'll be considered more seriously. No harm in seeing how he does, not like we're blessed with a lot of strikers finding the back of the net (and hopefully we don't have to dip into the SPFL Championship too often to do so.)

Shankland didn't do anything against us (a part time team) last week for 88 minutes, then banged in two excellent striker's goals out of nothing, there is absolutely no doubt that he is a premier league striker and arguably better than Brophy.  I was astonished that no premier league team wanted him or it may be the money that United are paying him is a lot more than what was on offer in the premier league or down south.

The sad reality is whilst Naismith and Griffiths are out and Fletcher seems to not want to play we are thin on the ground. I would still say Philips, Russel and Burke are better options than SHankland and McBurnie.

Edited by Smokerson

What is there left to lose? You can argue about the Championship's level etc, but in what is basically 4 friendlies now and the coaching staff will (well, hopefully) realise how he deals with the step up.

We don't score goals ; he seems to - albeit at a poor level. Féck it and give him a go, and fair dues to Clarke - I don't think Strachan or Eck would have called up a Championship player.

Cue the ''How awful must we be to be calling up Championship. No, SCOTTISH Championship players,''

Apart from that squad picks mostly itself. Is Matt Phillips out? Or way out of from? No call up for Karlan Grant - as some were suggesting he is eligible ; but then I read he has an impending court case?!

Imagine he made his debut against San Marino and scored a hatrick or even more - Yes I'm getting carried away with that ; but I think a fair few of us would be about him if that was the case.

Shankland will score a gazillion goals against San Marino and be completely anonymous against Russia.

If Shankland starts against Russia, the game is a bogey.

I’d have no issues playing him against San Marino, but I’d imagine he’ll be encouraged to leave Dundee United in January.