Scotland v Belgium (Match Thread)

King Kebab

4 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

Looking back at the game we started well up until their first goal, how they were 2 v1 more or less from our set piece is criminal, amateur stuff.

Mulgrew is finished at international level and somehow only knows how to play it square acorss to the other centre half or hoof it as hard as he can up the park.

McTominay hasn't shown himself in a great light the last 2 qualifiers, game totally passed him by.

Snodgrass asks questions with his deliveries from set pieces and general crossing ability but he's got zero pace, doesn't take players on.

Christie looked interested and wanted to make things happen but didn't affect the game all that much.

Phillips did okay kind of but make no mistake he should never start up front for Scotland.

Rest of the squad I can't even be bothered mentioning.

I can't believe I found myself agreeing with Kris Boyd after the game too.

Brutal Stuff...

also Kevin De Bruyne is currently the best Midfielder on the planet. Tremendous footballer.

Agree with most of this, and with a lot of the comments about the atmosphere.  I reckon that's the first time I've ever been to a game completely resigned to a thumping and just feeling completely meh throughout the whole 90 minutes.  Could only stand and applaud de Bruyne after the 4th goal even though some around me felt the need to boo him for whatever reason.

I think the only upside I took from last night was that Christie at least tried to get involved and showed some decent touches and looked somewhat of a threat, and the only other positive was that Belgium took it easy in the second half and spared us an even bigger gubbing (that and Marshall making some really good saves).  Other than that we were absolutely pedestrian at times, taking 15 passes to do what the Belgians could do to us in a couple of passes.  They ripped us open at will, while they could sit by and watch as we just passed with no real urgency whatsoever.

The defence was atrocious.  Mulgrew is done and had it not been for injuries would have been nowhere near the starting XI.  The second goal in particular pissed me right off, Vertonghen had all the time in the world to score and if he didn't, there were at least 2-3 others unmarked and in acres of space queueing up to score, with our central defenders completely posted missing.  And for the fourth, O'Donnell was positionally naive and is miles off international class.

Today's cup draw farce sums up the state of Scottish football for me right now.  We have clueless wonders in the corridors of power who couldn't tell their arse from their elbow, a set-up that has been woefully underfunded to the point of negligence and no-one with any ideas about how to sort it out.

Still at least the next home game will show us fans how to shitfest a scraped win against inferior opposition.....

34 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Agree with most of this, and with a lot of the comments about the atmosphere.  I reckon that's the first time I've ever been to a game completely resigned to a thumping and just feeling completely meh throughout the whole 90 minutes.  Could only stand and applaud de Bruyne after the 4th goal even though some around me felt the need to boo him for whatever reason.

I think the only upside I took from last night was that Christie at least tried to get involved and showed some decent touches and looked somewhat of a threat, and the only other positive was that Belgium took it easy in the second half and spared us an even bigger gubbing (that and Marshall making some really good saves).  Other than that we were absolutely pedestrian at times, taking 15 passes to do what the Belgians could do to us in a couple of passes.  They ripped us open at will, while they could sit by and watch as we just passed with no real urgency whatsoever.

The defence was atrocious.  Mulgrew is done and had it not been for injuries would have been nowhere near the starting XI.  The second goal in particular pissed me right off, Vertonghen had all the time in the world to score and if he didn't, there were at least 2-3 others unmarked and in acres of space queueing up to score, with our central defenders completely posted missing.  And for the fourth, O'Donnell was positionally naive and is miles off international class.

Today's cup draw farce sums up the state of Scottish football for me right now.  We have clueless wonders in the corridors of power who couldn't tell their arse from their elbow, a set-up that has been woefully underfunded to the point of negligence and no-one with any ideas about how to sort it out.

Still at least the next home game will show us fans how to shitfest a scraped win against inferior opposition.....

The second goal was Kenny McLean's fault. Cooper was struggling with his man but might have got a foot in, McTominay prevented Lukaku from getting into the cross, and McLean was ball watching and let Vermaelen run off him to score. 

This group was fucked from the first game, between us and Russia for second spot we would have to match their results, they have took 6 points off Kazakhstan and we got beat 3 nil.

The players are dire, no creativity or imagination, just a bunch of shitebags scared to pass  across the halfway line, O'Donnell getting 11 caps sums us up. That useless p***k mcburnie running about like a headless chicken, and playing a winger as a lone striker last night, Clarke is playing worse football than levein.  Thought this guy was suppose to organise teams, Belgium didn't score against San Marino until 43 minutes at the weekend but where 3 up on us by that point without breaking sweat.

We make average teams look like world beaters, we are down there with Malta and Andorra and the like. And to top it off sfa charge ridiculous prices so you get to watch in a half empty stadium. You can get cheaper tickets to watch the world champions France.

Same chat after every defeat.  Something, and not just one thing is very wrong.

However, we all know that no one in a position of power who makes decisions will take responsibility and resign. My god, even some of the shysters in the parliament have resigned at the state of the Brexit process, but not anyone near the SFA etc.

Many of these players are making very good money and are nowhere near the top of their profession - not many industries are structured like that.

The comments above about class are just crass, and actually helps to exemplify the chip on the shoulder / inferiority complex which is all too prevalent in modern Scotland.

I personally do not know the answer, but I do think it is linked to the early years where winning at 'non - competitive' football is still first priority for many - not the teaching and continuous improvement. After that it could be alcohol and teenagers, the stranglehold of the Old Firm in Scotland including the fascination the people and media have with the OF as well as the money going there. Add to that a lack of vision and a risk free position whilst people are 'employed' at the SFA as results appear only to affect managers and some players & not the Board.

I could not even name more than a couple of SFA Board members.

All been said before - plus ca change. 

Unless some very difficult decisions are taken around how football is operated, we will be reading threads like this in 2, 5 and 10 years.

Under 21s currently 1-0 down v Croatia so it's looking like another bad week for us on the international front.  Hornby back up front and looked decent and we've had some chances, but again we seem to be technically inferior (could probably apply that statement to most match descriptions right now...)

for anyone interested

5 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Those in the football world who dismiss rugby as 'only for posh Tories' need to take their heads out of their arses and get a grip on the reality and current health of both sports in Scotland. 

Rugby might not be to everyones tastes, but the Scotland rugby team currently puts the football team to shame in terms of performance.

Under 21s currently 1-0 down v Croatia so it's looking like another bad week for us on the international front.  Hornby back up front and looked decent and we've had some chances, but again we seem to be technically inferior (could probably apply that statement to most match descriptions right now...)
 for anyone interested
1-1 Connor McLennan

Just now, Gordopolis said:
37 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:
 for anyone interested

1-1 Connor McLennan

Yep, some finish as well.  Middleton has looked lively since he came on, just when I thought we were going to fall to a mundane 1-0 loss as well, given Croatia haven't offered huge amounts in the second half

Yep, some finish as well.  Middleton has looked lively since he came on, just when I thought we were going to fall to a mundane 1-0 loss as well, given Croatia haven't offered huge amounts in the second half
I take it that was Middleton who made the run and beat a few of their players down the left in the build-up?
Always liked the look of him

Just now, Gordopolis said:

I take it that was Middleton who made the run and beat a few of their players down the left in the build-up?
Always liked the look of him

It was.  As I say he's offered something different in terms of pace that they've struggled to deal with so far, looks like McCrorie been right back as well and he's been quite assured there.  Must say the one who's impressed me in both u-21 games so far has been the lad Johnston at the back

3 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

And now McLennan makes it 2-1.  Hornby did outstanding until the finish there but McLennan scored from the follow up

Hornby actually did utterly honking imo two poor touches, should have been looking to.square it and his attempt at a finish was pathetic.  Lucky it worked out.  Quality result though.

Hornby actually did utterly honking imo two poor touches, should have been looking to.square it and his attempt at a finish was pathetic.  Lucky it worked out.  Quality result though.
Bullied the defender off the ball to get the run thru on the keeper. The only thing he did wrong imo was letting the ball run too long and allowing the angle to narrow. Finish should have been more powerful too I suppose.

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

As I said until the finish I thought he did well, considering he created the chance.  He did well at the physical stuff throughout the game and although at times he had a few poor touches, by and large he performed the lone striker role well.  He's got a bit of pace for a big lad as well

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
4 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Bullied the defender off the ball to get the run thru on the keeper. The only thing he did wrong imo was letting the ball run too long and allowing the angle to narrow. Finish should have been more powerful too I suppose.

The Croatian channel has just shown multiple replays of both goals and I am struggling to see where the 'honking touches' are.  I agree, he could have got the shot away sooner but his initial work was good.  Great cross from McCrorie (at least I think it was him) for the second goal

4 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

The Croatian channel has just shown multiple replays of both goals and I am struggling to see where the 'honking touches' are.  I agree, he could have got the shot away sooner but his initial work was good.  Great cross from McCrorie (at least I think it was him) for the second goal

Both his touches when through were abysmal, one too heavy one too soft.  You probably can't see it.  He should have squared it too, tap in at the far post.