Scotland v Belgium (Match Thread)

King Kebab

This is true.  The problem is we aren't very good at it. 
According to morons like you what you are supposed to do is pass it forward all the time, otherwise known as giving the ball back to the opposition and resulting in a pumping. 
Did you.not learn anything even from watching Belgium tonight?  Some people will just never get it.

Leicester City won the Premiership with inferior players by giving the ball back to the opposition

You obviously don’t get it

I had a quick look back over 75 years of results and we've not been beaten by 3 goals at home in a competitive match, never mind 4.

We can't meekly accept that because it was a top Belgium side. It was nowhere near good enough. We know that we need better players, but we didn't even put up a decent fight. 

It was not so much we got beat but the manner of the defeat. We did not make Belgium work for the 3 points. We were never going to match Belgium for ability (they are a really good team) but in the past we used to make up for that with work rate and fight but we showed none of that. We looked beaten from the start of the game. These players have no belief they can compete. As for Clarke he is not getting any more from this team than McLeish did. 

Scotland rarely used to get beat at home even the very best teams had to fight for it.  The excellent spain team a few years back only came away with a 3-2 win.

To get horsed 4 going on 8 nil last night was just piss poor. There was absolutely no fight in that team and no direction or signs of a cohesive unit.

10 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Scotland rarely used to get beat at home even the very best teams had to fight for it.  The excellent spain team a few years back only came away with a 3-2 win.

To get horsed 4 going on 8 nil last night was just piss poor. There was absolutely no fight in that team and no direction or signs of a cohesive unit.

Circumstances play a part. If we win on Friday, we're still in contention, Hampden is full(er) and we're on a decent run of form then Belgium don't roll us over like that.

Last night was an absolute dead rubber and everyone knew it.

Edited by Dons_1988

6 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Alcohol helps with that one. Rugby is daytripper central for a lot of folks. 

The 'week of football' TV pish has ruined the attendances. 

As one of the rugby day-trippers, I agree. Going to the rugby is a much better and more enjoyable experience. It’s nearer to where I live, with handy trains, alcohol in the ground and it’s usually played at the weekend. They even win quite regularly.

Compare that to Monday night football in Glasgow, where I drive there then drive home after a heavy defeat.

Belgium simply set us up for counter attacking football. Any thought that we might have looked good at times needs weighed against the fact the Belgians were happy with that.  Mertens and DeBruyne ran us ragged.

When they went 4 up they suddenly decided to up the pace in the last 10 minutes and took the game to us  They could have scored at any time in that period.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I'm not sure we should be comparing, but you know with rugby that even when the team loses the players have put in a 100% shift. 

There's no hiding place in rugby.

What I saw last night were 11 players that were scared. Guys that strut and preen when racking up 7 goals a game against St Johnstone and Hamilton turned into nervous schoolboys when up against some of the best players in the world.

And the rest of the side are Championship level players, at best. 

It's soul-destroying stuff this. 

7 hours ago, Lurkst said:

They did have a plan to be fair, they wanted Michael O'Neill.

No, they were that arrogant and stupid they thought one phone call to O'Neil and he would've accepted the job, when he knocked it back they had absolutely no plan at all and started phoning up Walter Smith and McLeish, Utter morons in charge of our game

I think that the McLeish era did more damage than it looked like it did because the players look absolutely shot of all confidence once we fall behind.

We played well in the first half for 10-20 mins again then when they got the second goal you could see the nerves creep in and the players were scared to go forward, passing it to keep possession rather than anything else.

I hope that Clarke gets the time he needs as I do rate him as a manager.

14 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think that the McLeish era did more damage than it looked like it did because the players look absolutely shot of all confidence once we fall behind.

We played well in the first half for 10-20 mins again then when they got the second goal you could see the nerves creep in and the players were scared to go forward, passing it to keep possession rather than anything else.

I hope that Clarke gets the time he needs as I do rate him as a manager.

My thought from the first minute was that Belgium were setting a trap and we were falling right into it.

Belgium scored from our set piece when they had everyone back in their own box. That was also a trap that we fell into. 

We were incredibly naive. Anything that looked decent enough from a pressing or energy perspective just seemed so poor from a tactical perspective. Martinez played us for fools. 

5 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

My thought from the first minute was that Belgium were setting a trap and we were falling right into it.

Belgium scored from our set piece when they had everyone back in their own box. That was also a trap that we fell into. 

We were incredibly naive. Anything that looked decent enough from a pressing or energy perspective just seemed so poor from a tactical perspective. Martinez played us for fools. 

Agree with that. It was glaringly obvious that we had the ball in the opening 6 minutes because they were letting us have it. The breakaway goal was predictable and utterly laughable, the fact that we didn't see it coming is an absolute embarrassment. 

On a more positive note when we managed to get the ball to Robertson in the second half we looked threatening and he gave Meunier a game. I thought Philips did okay up front, without much support and against a big, experienced defence. We didn’t look completely shite, we were just outclassed.

20 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Exactly, and this is the period of the game where people are stating we looked good.  We were playing the way the Belgians wanted.  Same in the second half where they are 3 up and coasting so suddenly we claim we are causing them problems and playing better.

Russia was no different - every time they broke forward we looked in trouble.

That isn't just a defensive problem as some claim, it goes through midfield as well where players are either being overwhelmed and losing posession or giving it away.

Are we in danger of dropping into another pot, or does the Nations' League thing impact on that?
Not sure if anyone else has replied but after these results we're now borderline pot 3/4 for the next WC draw.
I think there's still 9 or 10 games (?), not including main Euro's, to go before the draw though. We really need to be winning games like Cyprus away and Kazakhstan at home if we want to stay in pot 3.