Scotland v Belgium (Match Thread)

King Kebab

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Stevie Clarke should have stayed at Killie. One more decent season there, and he’d have gotten a good gig at a club down South.

I get this is shite but we were also shite before Clarke appeared and he doesn't have much to work with. We'll just need to bear the inevitable shite results for at least a couple of years before anything changes. No other manager is going to magically have us punching above our weight without a massive slice of luck.

Clarke was and I think is the right man. We just need to be realistic about how long it's going to take to reverse 20+ years of garbage.

Edited by GiGi

Just now, GiGi said:

I get this is shite but we were also shite befote Clarke appeared and he doesn't have much to work with. We'll just need to bear the inevitable shite results for at least a couple of years before anything changes. No other manager is going to magically have use punching above our weight without a massive slice of luck.

Clarke was and I think is the right man. We just need to be realistic about how long it's going to reverse 20+ years of garbage.

To clarify, I am not saying he should have stayed at Killie because I think he’s shite and a dud as Scotland manager. I am saying he should have stayed at Killie because the Scotland job could destroy him, destroy anyone.

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

Is there actually people here that expect we should be beating Belgium tonight?

Probably no, but we should expect us to be capable of not being 3 down so easily, and looking so poor at the back. Other teams, like Northern Ireland, Wales, etc, are disciplined and at least have a coherent gameplan.

Aye, we’re doing a great job eh? 0-3. Muppet.
You obviously can't read contributions and follow a discussion particularly well.

Our defending has been very poor but our general play has been quite slick. We lack penetration but then we don't have a great striker - and the Belgians are fucking brilliant in defence as well as attack.

If you're looking at the score and basing everything on that then I'd politely suggest that you are the muppet.

We have been much, much better than Friday night.

We're pressing them exactly where Belgium want us to press them. Which makes it very easy for them to get through it. It's weak. The movement in possession has been nowhere near good enough either. 
I'm not necessarily defending the high press tactic tonight but we've done it reasonably well.

Our problem is that we have a lot of tidy, attacking midfielders, and we don't have the players who can shit-fest games. That takes time to develop but will probably be Clarke's best option.

This weekend has proved that we lack both the defensive ability and the cutting edge up top to go toe to toe with teams.

I'm not entirely convinced that mctominay is a great defensive midfielder. There's no Paul Lambert out there, that's for sure.