Scotland v Belgium (Match Thread)

King Kebab

There was clearly a chasmic gulf between the two sides tonight, and I was going to say something along the lines that we just need to wait for a better generation of players, the same way Belgium have had to (when was the last time Belgium were world class? Early 80s?). But then I thought a wee bit, and as another poster mentioned, even when we were shite before, you still felt we could nick a result against the top sides. Even with the obvious gap between our player pool and that of the English, you always fancied we could turn them over or at least scare the shite out of them. Now, I'd be surprised if England didn't give us the same treatment Belgium just have.

57 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Ngl, we're playing the best team in the world tonight and given outside of the importance of this result, it's about what I would expect sadly.

I will say this however (although I know I will get disagreements which is fair), we have a back up plan which literally asks us to beat either Finland or (hopefully) Bulgaria at home once without a reverse fixture, and then either Norway or Serbia at home once without a reverse fixture. We have home advantage in any game we play in the play-offs, and I feel like we can handle these teams. I am happy to be the only one not devastated after tonight, as Scotland are in a way better position as my club is in terms of achieving their goals.

Serbia would have me rather worried.

Need to get at least half the team sorted out , we might even have to consider going back to a BACK THREE

( sorry ) Bates or Souttar , Mulgrew , McKenna , Tierney

Fraser , maybe Forrest up front. Liam Henderson in midfield , goodness knows who else

4 minutes ago, Boaby Fisher said:

There was clearly a chasmic gulf between the two sides tonight, and I was going to say something along the lines that we just need to wait for a better generation of players, the same way Belgium have had to (when was the last time Belgium were world class? Early 80s?). But then I thought a wee bit, and as another poster mentioned, even when we were shite before, you still felt we could nick a result against the top sides. Even with the obvious gap between our player pool and that of the English, you always fancied we could turn them over or at least scare the shite out of them. Now, I'd be surprised if England didn't give us the same treatment Belgium just have.

You could be right

( Magnus rules GOAT )

51 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
1 hour ago, GiGi said:
Clarke was never going to reverse this campaign. This group of players lost 3-0 to fucking Kazakhstan. 
Clarke is not the problem. We have no right back, no credible centre halves, no credible centre forward and other than Fraser limited accomplished wingers. f**k is he meant to do with that group of shite? 
Other shite teams seem to have an attacking talisman that get them results almost single handedly. We don't, so we won't win games. This campaign and maybe even the next are a write off until the manager has a generation of players that give him a fucking chance.

Same goes for every other manager since brown.

Brown did have some rather good defenders

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

There's nothing insipid about our midfield tonight. We're pressing them high and popping it about well.

We just have no protection for a very weak back four.

the defensive midfielders are supposed to protect them

13 minutes ago, greenockraver said:

What are northern ireland then ?  and why couldnt we be at least that?

Michael O'Neil won 1 game out of his first 15 matchs as northern Ireland manager! Yes that's 1 win out of 15

Maybe worth giving the manager more of a chance than writing him off after defeat in his 4th game to the no1 ranked team in the world eh.

Going to that game tonight put me in mind of the rugby team in the years immediately after the sport turned professional.

Football seems to have completely changed in the last 10-15 years, and we've been left miles behind. I've no idea watching the gulf between those two teams how we can bridge it, but the whole atmosphere around the game was one of resignation and submission. Terrible. 

I don't think it's something that the SFA are capable of fixing now. There are structural issues within the Scottish game that seem to be drawing us further and further back.