RRFC vs. Peterheed

Allan does have the pace and works hard. His link up play is decent as well. But he never looked like scoring. He should have just went for power across goal in that clip above. Nitpicking though really. Everyone had a part to play yesterday and everything just clicked nicely.

Allan is like a better built Graham Weir. 

I really like him despite the fact that I don't think he'll score for fun. His ability to hold the ball up front and let us push out will be particularly valuable when we're holding on to slender leads. 

We have tremendous quality playing off him too. 

I really like him despite the fact that I don't think he'll score for fun. His ability to hold the ball up front and let us push out will be particularly valuable when we're holding on to slender leads. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Baird take Anderson's place in the new system. Although Ando has scored more goals, it's Allan's all-round play that's likely to pay dividends for a predator like Baird.

I've seen a few people calling him useless on twitter but I'm presuming they're just looking at stats rather than watching him play.

Allan can be a little bit of a dumpling, see his failed chip and ballooned shot in acres of space on Saturday for evidence of that. And I’m still haunted by that weird miss at Dumbarton on opening day.

But he’s made a positive contribution this season. I suspect he’s in the mould of a player you suddenly miss when he’s not playing. I thought he played very well on Saturday overall.

One thing’s for sure, with Anderson/Vaughan/Baird/Bowie/Smith/even Victoria competing for his place up front, if he isn’t playing well he won’t be playing.

I think Allan will split opinion amongst fans throughout the season. I really like him. I think he’s a good footballer, his hold up play is generally excellent, he works hard and he appears deceptively quick. I think he is pretty key bringing the midfield into play and creating space for others.

However, he definitely lacks a natural goal scoring instinct. I missed the Montrose game but against Clyde and Peterhead we have dominated both teams and scored 9 goals. He has not been on the scoresheet and to be honest didn’t look particularly likely to in either game. There has been occasions where we have the ball wide and midfielders are tearing into the box and he is still 20/25 yards from goal. 

Saying that, I am definitely in the camp that thinks he brings a lot to the team and is underrated. I would add MacDonald and Grant Anderson to the underrated list as well. MacDonald has a great engine and has contributed at both ends, although he is better going forward than defending. He ended up with 3 assists from wingback on Saturday and has barely been mentioned. Grant Anderson has been miles better than I thought he would be also, great to see him playing so well, his attitude on the park makes him really likeable. 

Weir had the look of a chipmunk on steroids.