Stenhousemuir -vs- Cowdenbeath

Luke is a signed player believe it or not. Another quality piece of recruitment.
Loan players should be starting players who enhance the first eleven not just squad filler. What a complete waste of time.
Scullion has looked alright in patches but the fact he can't get in the worst team in my lifetime is alarming.

Thought the same yesterday about loan signings. Yesterday, two of the best players on the park were Cowdenbeath’s 9 and 10, both loans. Meanwhile, as you say, our loans aren’t good enough to get in our team. What a waste.

48 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Thought the same yesterday about loan signings. Yesterday, two of the best players on the park were Cowdenbeath’s 9 and 10, both loans. Meanwhile, as you say, our loans aren’t good enough to get in our team. What a waste.

Archie Thomas isn’t on loan.

That was a horror show yesterday, a thoroughly depressing 90 minutes and one we deserved nothing from. We looked alright in the first half and knocked the ball around well enough but there was no penetration, no opportunities to get in behind Cowdenbeath and I don't think we forced Kevin Dubrowski into a serious save until we were three goals down. The opposition we good - they looked solid at the back and kept our limited attack quiet and they were dangerous whenever they bounded forward. Connor Smith in particular was excellent and I thought he was the best player on the park.

The said, the three goals we lost were dire, particularly the second and third goals. Where was the concentration? Where was the midfield to support the defence and mark the Cowden runners coming from deep? Pathetic stuff. I think the only Stenhousemuir player who looked half decent was Thomas Halleran but he was removed midway through the first half (albeit he might have been injured). As others have commented, our loan signings have just added depth to the squad, they haven't improved us and it's pretty dispiriting to see Cowden field boys like Smith, players of genuine quality who improve the starting XI, while we have Dylan Dykes on the bench.

Three league home matches, three miserable performances, nine goals conceded. Other than a 20-minute spell against Albion Rovers and a brief period against Edinburgh City, we've been rubbish. Why is this? I can't explain it. We don't really have a clear way of playing - we have boys in the team who should be good enough knocking it about the deck but instead we play neck-high balls to a striker who, while willing, needs balls into his feet. I worry about Colin McMenamin (why do so many of our supporters struggle to spell his name?) If we fail to get wins against Brechin City and Stirling Albion, the end could be nigh. A damn shame as he's been a superb player for the club, but it's yet to really work out under his management.

32 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

That was a horror show yesterday, a thoroughly depressing 90 minutes and one we deserved nothing from. We looked alright in the first half and knocked the ball around well enough but there was no penetration, no opportunities to get in behind Cowdenbeath and I don't think we forced Kevin Dubrowski into a serious save until we were three goals down. The opposition we good - they looked solid at the back and kept our limited attack quiet and they were dangerous whenever they bounded forward. Connor Smith in particular was excellent and I thought he was the best player on the park.

The said, the three goals we lost were dire, particularly the second and third goals. Where was the concentration? Where was the midfield to support the defence and mark the Cowden runners coming from deep? Pathetic stuff. I think the only Stenhousemuir player who looked half decent was Thomas Halleran but he was removed midway through the first half (albeit he might have been injured). As others have commented, our loan signings have just added depth to the squad, they haven't improved us and it's pretty dispiriting to see Cowden field boys like Smith, players of genuine quality who improve the starting XI, while we have Dylan Dykes on the bench.

Three league home matches, three miserable performances, nine goals conceded. Other than a 20-minute spell against Albion Rovers and a brief period against Edinburgh City, we've been rubbish. Why is this? I can't explain it. We don't really have a clear way of playing - we have boys in the team who should be good enough knocking it about the deck but instead we play neck-high balls to a striker who, while willing, needs balls into his feet. I worry about Colin McMenamin (why do so many of our supporters struggle to spell his name?) If we fail to get wins against Brechin City and Stirling Albion, the end could be nigh. A damn shame as he's been a superb player for the club, but it's yet to really work out under his management.

Craig, it's no disgrace to be thrashed by the mighty Blue Brazil

helicopter.gif

Hard to get an exciting atmosphere with the store treat going on around about you, but credit to Stenny a crowd of 600 and half of them must have been kids. The snack bar must have made a fortune. A comprehensive win for us. We got a few breaks at the right time, but really should have had more than three. Gibson will help steady the ship for  Stenny  but at 35 he will need others to do his running  for him

2 minutes ago, iateallthepies said:

Hard to get an exciting atmosphere with the store treat going on around about you, but credit to Stenny a crowd of 600 and half of them must have been kids. The snack bar must have made a fortune. A comprehensive win for us. We got a few breaks at the right time, but really should have had more than three. Gibson will help steady the ship for  Stenny  but at 35 he will need others to do his running  for him

Was it just the stand that was open?

Fantastic team performance on Saturday. Every player was superb and stuck to their jobs really well. The shape of the team and running off the ball (notably thomas and smith were exceptional) My MOTM was Jamie Todd as Smith started to fade (no surprise due to work rate)

Stenny were as expected and are nowhere near as good as their fans had them painted as. We are improving week on week and with Jordan Allan back it give us a great option from bench. 

Well done to the team and management things going positively just now and as thought I believe we are a play off team not quite good enough to compete with Cove sadly. Certainly improvements on the team over last year now we have Smith.

5 hours ago, NELLY said:

Fantastic team performance on Saturday. Every player was superb and stuck to their jobs really well. The shape of the team and running off the ball (notably thomas and smith were exceptional) My MOTM was Jamie Todd as Smith started to fade (no surprise due to work rate)

Stenny were as expected and are nowhere near as good as their fans had them painted as. We are improving week on week and with Jordan Allan back it give us a great option from bench. 

Well done to the team and management things going positively just now and as thought I believe we are a play off team not quite good enough to compete with Cove sadly. Certainly improvements on the team over last year now we have Smith.

Without getting ahead ahead of ourselves, I believe our starting 11 can compete with the top 2  no problem and proved that up at cove, but our squad depth is what will prevent us from any real  title challenge. I would be delighted with a play off spot. We seem to have a squad with a real togetherness and spirit at the moment.

Hope the injury to big Kev wasn’t too serious, had my doubts pre season, but he has been outstanding so far and made big saves at key moments in games. Between him and smith we have 2 quality loan signings. Especially when you hear Stenny complaining about theirs. 

32 minutes ago, Bluebrazilcfc said:

Without getting ahead ahead of ourselves, I believe our starting 11 can compete with the top 2  no problem and proved that up at cove, but our squad depth is what will prevent us from any real  title challenge. I would be delighted with a play off spot. We seem to have a squad with a real togetherness and spirit at the moment.

Hope the injury to big Kev wasn’t too serious, had my doubts pre season, but he has been outstanding so far and made big saves at key moments in games. Between him and smith we have 2 quality loan signings. Especially when you hear Stenny complaining about theirs. 

I did say Brandon Luke was a non existent signing to be fair. We can compete but over a season we will still have ups and downs more ups than previous seasons im sure however.

I think that is a bit unfair on Hamilton who has been excellent at the back and means we have 3 quality loan signings.

He might be extremely small for a central defender but he is in the right place to snuff out danger and on Saturday in particular made at least 4 superb blocks.

9 hours ago, wulliemc said:

I think that is a bit unfair on Hamilton who has been excellent at the back and means we have 3 quality loan signings.

He might be extremely small for a central defender but he is in the right place to snuff out danger and on Saturday in particular made at least 4 superb blocks.

And showed good decision making to take one for the team when Kev was dispossessed by mcguigan.

10 hours ago, wulliemc said:

Hamilton was a stand out against Annan and has improved our defence.

11 hours ago, wulliemc said:

Hamilton has been good not excellent. Essentially playing sweeper which is a relatively easy position to play for anyone with a football brain, which he clearly has. 

2 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

And showed good decision making to take one for the team when Kev was dispossessed by mcguigan.

It was good decision making but it was also him recovering from the initial pass he gave Kev.  Didn’t think anything of it at the time but seeing it back he fired it at him with a striker chasing him down. 

Im not saying he’s a bad player by any means I just don’t think he’s had the same impact as the other 2 loan signings in my opinion.