Stenhousemuir -vs- Cowdenbeath

An intriguing contest awaits at Ochilview on Saturday as Stenhousemuir entertain Cowdenbeath. The teams have already encountered one another already this season in the final match of the Betfred Cup group stages, where the Warriors came out on top with a straightforward 2-0 victory. A similar outcome would be the very thing - a point at Annan Athletic was a decent result and we showed up well in the weekend's game against The New Saints, so we seem to be picking up a bit of form.

So have Cowdenbeath and they're riding high in the table. I liked the look of Jordan Allan and David Cox up front when we last played them and I reckon they'll be a handful again.

I'm keen to see how we'll line up. It might be something like this:

- Mark McGuigan - Kieran Anderson -

- Alan Cook - Thomas Halleran - Wullie Gibson - Jamie McKernon - Chris O'Neil -

- Scott McLaughlin - Andy Munro - David Marsh -

- Graeme Smith -

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about this one. We really do have to start making the most of our so-called home advantage because we've been guff at Ochilview in the league so far. Home win!

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

- Graeme Smith -

That has to be the team with Hopkins coming off the bench if and when required.

Edited by Hard Graft

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

An intriguing contest awaits at Ochilview on Saturday as Stenhousemuir entertain Cowdenbeath. The teams have already encountered one another already this season in the final match of the Betfred Cup group stages, where the Warriors came out on top with a straightforward 2-0 victory. A similar outcome would be the very thing - a point at Annan Athletic was a decent result and we showed up well in the weekend's game against The New Saints, so we seem to be picking up a bit of form.

So have Cowdenbeath and they're riding high in the table. I liked the look of Jordan Allan and David Cox up front when we last played them and I reckon they'll be a handful again.

- Graeme Smith -

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about this one. We really do have to start making the most of our so-called home advantage because we've been guff at Ochilview in the league so far. Home win!

Would very much doubt Allan will start, he hasn’t been playing recently.

I think Stenny is more dangerous than the Queens Park away game, id love to see 6 points from these 2 games but our away form is concern sill, just hoping the boys are confident with the current results and can still win this one outside of Central Park, I think Stenny will be confident coming off their cup win and will be itching for 3 points, to get their season running now, so we will need to be well organized and disciplined when we go there, hopefully we can edge this one & keep the run going, Bit of a random fact but I used to live across the road from Graeme Smith here in Airdrie, I always knew back then he would go on to be professional, it will be funny to see him lining up against Cowden, i bet hes still decent for his age & at this level but come on the Cowden!

We will play this awkward kind of formation and set of players which has been working for us to be fair. Mullen likely will play left back/wing back with 3 centre halfs and robbie buchanan on right side pushed on slightly higher. Our strikers will for sure be Cox and Renton of that I am sure. Connor smith will start and him and cox will interchange around Renton.

Midfield will be Miller and archie thomas.

1-1 Draw on saturday. Mcguigan will score for stenny and Cox for cowden.

Cheers

17 hours ago, big al said:

Would very much doubt Allan will start, he hasn’t been playing recently.

Why's that? Obviously Kris Renton provides Cowden with something completely different in attack but I was impressed by Allan's speed and directness in July. He was really eager to run at our centre-backs and really had them looking anxious before fading.

We have to be winning these types of games even a draw at home to thurds is really no use.

I don't think it will be pretty but we will win by a narrow margin I feel.

4-1 Warriors. Kieran Anderson adding another goal to his tally after a brace each from McGuigan and Halleran.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Why's that? Obviously Kris Renton provides Cowden with something completely different in attack but I was impressed by Allan's speed and directness in July. He was really eager to run at our centre-backs and really had them looking anxious before fading.

He's been out injured. 

Should have been 2 up early on in the betfred encounter before mcguigan bullied Pyper, and then Todd had a howler for an OG. Cox and Allan caused Munro and marsh all sorts of problems that day just couldn’t convert. Will be a different style this time but will imagine Renton will win 90% of his aerial battles against Munro and marsh who are both poor IMO. Hopefully coxy and smith can play off the second balls and create opportunities. Big concern for me will be mcguigan, especially if he plays on Hamilton, think the young lad could struggle with his physical presence. Again after we started well in the earlier game we ended up being ran over in midfield, so hopefully an improvement there aswell. 

1-2

1 hour ago, Bluebrazilcfc said:

Should have been 2 up early on in the betfred encounter before mcguigan bullied Pyper, and then Todd had a howler for an OG. Cox and Allan caused Munro and marsh all sorts of problems that day just couldn’t convert. Will be a different style this time but will imagine Renton will win 90% of his aerial battles against Munro and marsh who are both poor IMO. Hopefully coxy and smith can play off the second balls and create opportunities. Big concern for me will be mcguigan, especially if he plays on Hamilton, think the young lad could struggle with his physical presence. Again after we started well in the earlier game we ended up being ran over in midfield, so hopefully an improvement there aswell. 

1-2

Good point about hamilton he 100% would not cope with Mcguigan. I would play pyper and barr in position where Hamilton was playing.

25 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Hamilton was excellent against Annan. I’m never sure about Pyper, makes too many mistakes.

He was good against Annan but was never really challenged. Looked a bit suspect against Brechin IMO, when it came to going to win the ball in the air he seemed very hesitant and let the ball bounce which is school boy stuff. Time will tell, but that for me is my concern on Saturday. As for Pyper, it may sound harsh but I just don’t think he’s good enough unfortunately. Especially if we want to seriously be in contention for a top 4 spot. Positionally he is all over the place and is prone to a clumsy challenge in dangerous areas. 

4 hours ago, Bluebrazilcfc said:

Renton will win 90% of his aerial battles against Munro and marsh who are both poor IMO.

Both are good no nonsense defenders and if you play to their strengths then they will excel. Both struggled when Allan and Cox were running at them but at soon as we started lumping the ball forward, they won everything. 

3 hours ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Both are good no nonsense defenders and if you play to their strengths then they will excel. Both struggled when Allan and Cox were running at them but at soon as we started lumping the ball forward, they won everything. 

Must have been watching different games, because I recall Allan beating Munro in the air on numerous occasions. Based on that I would imagine Renton will win his majority of aerial battles. 

4 minutes ago, Bluebrazilcfc said:

Must have been watching different games, because I recall Allan beating Munro in the air on numerous occasions. Based on that I would imagine Renton will win his majority of aerial battles. 

My abiding memory is of Munro shouting “win the fucking header “ every single time the ball crossed the half way line. Went from highly amusing to very irritating after the 50th or so time.