2nd v 3rd

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I'd take a draw here, then humping them out of the cup in another 10 days time at the Spaghettihad. Just hope we've enough players recovered from grass pitch injuries to fill our subs bench.

The Rangers seemed to struggle at home in their new firm derby, so maybe we can get a clean sheet there.  For me Robinson is the player we miss most.

The default for a visit to Glasgow: a defeat by 3 or less would be decent... we do start with a point though.

Assuming everyone fit

Stewart

Devlin, Lithgow, Guthrie, McMillan (don't know who i'd drop to bring Lamie in as I've been impressed by Guthrie and Lithgow might be exposed on big pitch)

Jacobs, Bartley (i thought Crawford was great against St Mirren so it's a tight call with him and Jacobs)

Lawless, Pittman, Robinson (Souda? I feel like Stobbs will be used as an impact sub if we go more direct)

Dykes

Edited: forgot about Robinson!

Edited by crispy

3 hours ago, East Calder Lion said:

The Rangers seemed to struggle at home in their new firm derby, so maybe we can get a clean sheet there.  For me Robinson is the player we miss most.

The International break may well have done us a favour in that respect too, if we'd played them the following weekend to their defeat against Celtic they would prob have been right up for it, in a reaction to being beaten at Ibrox, they've had an extra week to cool their heels and might not be as fired up now. Yep Robbo back would be a huge lift, adds so much energy into our attack, constantly buzzing around.

Stobbs scored a worldy against County in his debut, hit the bar after having his first shot cleared off the line against St Mirren, can see him coming on as a late sub and hitting one into the top corner to get us something in this game.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

I was just about to start a thread but see I've been beaten to it.  What happened to the convention that home teams start the match thread?  For this reason alone I hope we pump you.

BTW I see that Menga has been put out on loan.  I know he has limited talent but was always a handful.  Do you have better now?  I haven't watched any of your games this season.

57 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I was just about to start a thread but see I've been beaten to it.  What happened to the convention that home teams start the match thread?  For this reason alone I hope we pump you.

BTW I see that Menga has been put out on loan.  I know he has limited talent but was always a handful.  Do you have better now?  I haven't watched any of your games this season.

Dykes is a far better player up front. We're using an entirely new formation though. Menga was like a headless chicken at times and only tended to show up for big games. We've definitely got better in Souda out on the wings though.

Reckon this is the game for Bartley to further show his worth with his experience.

10 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Dykes is a far better player up front. We're using an entirely new formation though. Menga was like a headless chicken at times and only tended to show up for big games. We've definitely got better in Souda out on the wings though.

Reckon this is the game for Bartley to further show his worth with his experience.

Menga a headless chicken?  I think 'pterodactyl' is the word you're searching for...

I look forward to Saturday.  You're clearly playing well both in the league and LC.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Menga a headless chicken?  I think 'pterodactyl' is the word you're searching for...

I look forward to Saturday.  You're clearly playing well both in the league and LC.

We were playing well last season when you humped us 3-0 over there so wouldn't be expecting us to take anything tbh

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

You've had 8 days to start a match thread, think I gave you time enough if you were that bothered.

Hope we pump you for all kind of reasons though, mostly because I always want my team to win games.

33 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

We were playing well last season when you humped us 3-0 over there so wouldn't be expecting us to take anything tbh

Yep, one can always hope though, we're due a win at Ibrox sometime, got our first ever point at Parkheid last season, this is an era for first times with Livi.

We’ll give a good account of ourselves but likely come up short and be picked off by an impressive Rangers forward line. 

This is a bonus game so no pressure at all on us. 

Stewart, Devlin, Lithgow, Guthrie, Lamie, Bartley, Jacobs, Lawless, Pittman, Stobbs, Dykes. 

We've had Kamara, Aribo and Davis playing for their countries this week - with Aribo scoring on his debut for Nigeria.  Don't know if any of them will be rested and also not sure if Goldson should play.  Equally not sure of Union Jack's state of injury or Kent's match fitness.  So tentatively I'd suggest the following:

McGregor
Tavernier Katic Helander Barisic
Davis Aribo
Ojo King Kent
Morelos

"IT has been a whirlwind few years in East Lothian." Decent read otherwise.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17895915.livingston-prepare-defy-odds-ahead-ibrox-visit/

18 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

We've had Kamara, Aribo and Davis playing for their countries this week - with Aribo scoring on his debut for Nigeria.  Don't know if any of them will be rested and also not sure if Goldson should play.  Equally not sure of Union Jack's state of injury or Kent's match fitness.  So tentatively I'd suggest the following:

McGregor
Tavernier Katic Helander Barisic
Davis Aribo
Ojo King Kent
Morelos

Do you generally favour Morelos over Defoe? I think both would cause us problems but the relative pace of Morelos would possibly make him the more dangerous of the two at Ibrox.

With the Goldson comment, I take it that isn't a settled CB pairing / give me something to  cling on to, please.

Edited by crispy

2 hours ago, crispy said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17895915.livingston-prepare-defy-odds-ahead-ibrox-visit/

Do you generally favour Morelos over Defoe? I think both would cause us problems but the relative pace of Morelos would possibly make him the more dangerous of the two at Ibrox.

With the Goldson comment, I take it that isn't a settled CB pairing / give me something to  cling on to, please.

Can see it is written by someone looking at stats and basing things on that rather than how we play, also shows it isn't someone like Callum Carson who has been reporting on Livi throughout that period. At least it was an ok attempt at giving Livi some deserved respect for what we have accomplished.

Have to ask when does a pass become a long ball? Often the idea of long ball is a hit and hope strategy; but most of our long passes, particularly from Lithgow, are to a man.

Also the writer mentions that we don't have many natural dribbler; Souda; Lithgow and Robinson immediately come to mind ....

15 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Have to ask when does a pass become a long ball? Often the idea of long ball is a hit and hope strategy; but most of our long passes, particularly from Lithgow, are to a man.

Also the writer mentions that we don't have many natural dribbler; Souda; Lithgow and Robinson immediately come to mind ....

And Lawless, Sibbald & Lawson are decent too. 

Don't forget one of the best individual goals from last season was Menga putting 5 Hearts players on their backsides before slipping it through the keepers legs, or Byrne's chopping twice putting Hibs defenders all over the place before knocking it into the net. I'd say we pass the ball just fine once we're into the opposition's half, the goal against Sevco was pretty slick too as Robbo cut it back to Dolly after Dec slipped the ball through to him.

That's what I meant saying you can see he's basing this on passing stats etc, we pass it just fine once we get the ball up into the opposition half, the aim the last 2 seasons was to get it out of our half as quickly as possible to reduce the chance of losing a goal from being dispossessed by the strikers, and our midfield pushed up to get the 2nd ball whenever we didn't get on the end of a long pass.

Actually noticed we've changed our style slightly this season though, with us playing a back 4, we're bringing it out of defence a bit more, and using the wings with Devlin in particular getting involved.

If the likes of Jacobs and Robinson are back fit off the back of the break, we would be in a great position to make a real go of it.

Saying that though, I’d happily take a doing here if it meant we won the cup game in a few weeks. This one’s a free game, free hit, etc. etc.

Would be brilliant if we could come out of this still unbeaten but unfortunately I can see us taking a doing - we don't usually play well straight after the international/winter breaks. Pretty sure last season we won the first two (Hamilton and Dundee) and lost the rest (Rangers, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Hibs).

No idea who's fit for this game but I'm sure another game on grass won't help. 

Stewart; Devlin, Guthrie, Lithgow, Lamie; Lawless, Bartley, Pittman, Jacobs, Souda; Dykes 

13 hours ago, crispy said:

Morelos pretty-much every time. He can destroy defences when he's in the mood in a way Defoe can't.

As for Goldson?  He is prone to the odd brain fart plus we do need to give Helander a start some time.  Just as long as we don't drop Katic.

6 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Would be brilliant if we could come out of this still unbeaten but unfortunately I can see us taking a doing - we don't usually play well straight after the international/winter breaks. Pretty sure last season we won the first two (Hamilton and Dundee) and lost the rest (Rangers, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Hibs).

No idea who's fit for this game but I'm sure another game on grass won't help. 

Stewart; Devlin, Guthrie, Lithgow, Lamie; Lawless, Bartley, Pittman, Jacobs, Souda; Dykes 

bait.JPG.b4881d03636ca18844fa1a38d15216d4.JPG

Armed forces day at Ibrox for this game, gives them an excuse for belting out god save the queen, rule britannia and other such wonderful patriotic ditties.

Abseiling down from the roof of the Sandy Jardine stand to present the ball to the ref before ko, and tell him they have a sniper with his sights trained on him, just to make sure he gives Morelos a penalty for when he hits the deck like he's been shot from said sniper whenever he enters the Livi box.