The Sons v The Diamonds 14.9.19

Fair fucks to Airdrie, felt we deserved a point but we didn't take any of the chances that came our way and they did. Didn't see the "goal" in the first half but even if it was in we had other chances to level it and didn't take it. My head won't drop though and neither should the players, we're very much in with a shout this year.

Happy we got the 3 points and was please that we kept a ‘clean sheet’ - highlights will show lol. But still a narrow win and we still have a negative goal difference in this league. When we look at the other results, other teams winning comfortably and we’re chewing nails at 90+ minutes. Nobody seems to be coming out as a reliable goal producer. Long way to go though

I also think we deserved something from that but unfortunately that means nothing. From where I was sitting it looked a poor decision not to award us a goal but we shouldn't have been depending on such a decision, we should've burst the net with that particular chance. We also had a fair few other opportunities to draw level and failed to take them.

A few players continue to leave me unconvinced and a few are starting to win me over. As a unit we've been competitive in every game (bar Falkirk) and we're unlucky not to have taken at least a point from 5 out of 6 so far. Special mention to Kyle Hutton who was deserving of his motm award today, Tumilty was a close 2nd and how he's not featuring in a bang average Morton team is beyond me.

Fair play to Airdrie for managing to scrape the win, I was very impressed with their number 2 and Smith cause our 2 big carthorses at the back a few problems with his pace.

Though Airdrie looked well drilled and cause a few problems

Think we will play worse and win, it just wasn't going to be our day. The non goal looked a few inches over the line from where I was sitting, will see on the video replay. If it is, that's a shocker from the lino.

On 13/09/2019 at 15:39, Chapelhall chap said:

Earlier in the week I went for a draw but I got carried away as the game got closer. It could indeed be famous last words.

As the Duke of Wellington is supposed to have said, this was a damn close run thing. I am glad I got a second guess right at last. Had David Hutton not made that fantastic save in the last minute Dumbarton would have avoided defeat; they did have the bulk of the attacking in the second half and Hutton  did make several great stops but Layne should have scored from the rebound. Would a draw have been deserved or a Dumbarton win all depends on whether you discount the great missed chances by Airdrie and a great save from their goalie in the first half. I have no idea whether the officials could give a goal for the goal line save since it was too far from our end. "If they don't see they cant give it" is the cliché. I also felt we had a clear penalty from a shove in the box but again if he does not see it, he can't give it. The second half was back to the walls mainly and Dumbarton moved the ball really well; I liked the guy Tumilty   who made life very hard for Leon McCann and Dumbarton did have a very solid back 4 , whilst Carswell and Hutton were both very good. Layne was a right handful but was less so in the 2nd half. I can see that Dumbarton will be up for it this season. As to Airdrie I was very pleased with much of our strength and motivation but we still lack a sense of composure when we break up an attack. I thought Keiran Millar was super in the 2nd half in holding us together. It was good to see us a bit more adventurous and although it was a nervous last 10 minutes I will gladly take a clean sheet and three points. I don't like carping when we win but Wedderburn makes no positive contribution That's now six games since the Sons came down and no defeats. The wind did make the game a wee bit difficult today and how many balls went over the fences?

Ball not over the line by the looks of it from the highlights, as I thought at the time due to Hutton landing on it and making no movement's forward. Stone wall penalty for Airdrie not given for a blatant push in the first half. Some superb stops by Hutton. Some Sons fan's will be feeling a bit daft after all their seeth yesterday.

25 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

At best you can say it’s inconclusive from that angle. Look at where the line is either side of Hutton and the ball. You can’t say it definitely doesn’t look over from that angle.

55725365-BF11-458D-866C-C5401FC8876B.thumb.png.abd83eca5a34588597433b2fcbe5e24d.png

No-one has to. You were the one saying it was 'clear', now you are resorting to blurry screenshots to prove that you might not be totally wrong.

The referee and linesman have to think it definitely does look over to give it, and even in your best screenshot you can't show that. On the footage we have it looks the correct decision.

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

No-one has to. You were the one saying it was 'clear', now you are resorting to blurry screenshots to prove that you might not be totally wrong.

The referee and linesman have to think it definitely does look over to give it, and even in your best screenshot you can't show that. On the footage we have it looks the correct decision.

No, I’m pointing out that you can’t say it’s not over from the goal cam. The linesman was not watching from the goal cam.

From the side of the pitch, you could see it was clearly over the line.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

No, I’m pointing out that you can’t say it’s not over from the goal cam. The linesman was not watching from the goal cam.

From the side of the pitch, you could see it was clearly over the line.

If you look at Dumbarton players reactions , they were half hearted. Says it all.

While it wasn’t ‘a full yard’ away from the goal line like Murray said it obviously wasn’t over the line. The Dumbarton forwards knew it, don’t know why they even shouting for a goal. The bigger talking point on here today IF they had gotten an equalizer was the penalty claim. FFS, total stonewaller and I have no idea why the ref or linesman didn’t call it immediately. Hutton earned his money twice over yesterday, without him we might have left empty handed