The Sons v The Diamonds 14.9.19

Be nice to see Sir Ian Murray again, hopefully the extended break between games hasn't taken any sharpness from our players.

Nice win for Airdrie v continental opposition on Saturday there, in the InterToTo Cup.

2-1 Sons please, probably end up a draw though.

Hopefully the red carpet, which has been stained red using the blood from a sacrificed member of Aitken's Army (disbanded), will be rolled out for Sir Ian.

Tough game this and 4 wins on the trot almost seems too good to be true. I'd take a draw and another top performance from big Drogba.

I've made no bones about it, Dumbarton are the team I dislike least in the league, even after the roasting we were handed in the playoffs to kick off the glory years for Dumbarton.
I think it will be a tight game, I'll admit I had Dumbarton down and out before a ball was kicked, even more so after the hiding Falkirk gave them, but they've surprised me and their band of misfits and ragamuffins have pulled out a few cracking results.
Hope big Crighton carries on his good form and keeps big Layne under wraps.
Hopefully we see McCann back on the left as his performance against Falkirk was first class and he looks well ahead of his years, similar to Liam Lindsay for us.
I'd be tempted to keep the back 3 of Fordyce, Crighton and Kerr with McCann on the left and MacDonald on the right bring Roberts in for McKay to add a bit more drive in the middle with Gallagher and Smith working hard up front.
Should be a good game and we can but hope for a win.

I know Dumbarton are on a cracking run of form at the moment (and fair fucks to them) but I'd still be disappointed if we didn't win this. Think it will be a tight game what with Dumbarton's upsurge in form and us still not knowing what our best team is, but I'm hoping we'll edge it by a goal or two. Gallagher and Smith upfront and hopefully Roberts starting to offer a bit more dynamism in midfield. 

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Think it will be a tight game what with Dumbarton's upsurge in form and us still not knowing what our best team is

This could be a big factor IMO. Our starting 11 is set, we don't have any injuries and Duffy is starting to get them to play as the unit he wants. If Airdrie are still trying things out it might favour us, but I'm all too aware that we are still quite frail at the back despite our good performances in the last 3 games, and our defence will be hassled all day if Gallagher and Smith are the front two we face. Midfield battle will be huge IMO.

On 10/09/2019 at 13:06, The Moonster said:

This could be a big factor IMO. Our starting 11 is set, we don't have any injuries and Duffy is starting to get them to play as the unit he wants. If Airdrie are still trying things out it might favour us, but I'm all too aware that we are still quite frail at the back despite our good performances in the last 3 games, and our defence will be hassled all day if Gallagher and Smith are the front two we face. Midfield battle will be huge IMO.

We haven't played the same team two games running yet this season and I don't expect us to do so this weekend. I think we probably will stick with the back three though I'm not sure that's actually our best formation. Agree about the midfield battle being key. Is it still Hutton and Carswell in the middle for Dumbarton? Playing Roberts there could give us a real edge as he'll be the only one with any sort of pace, dynamism or creativity. For the last three games though, and indeed for much of this season, Murray's went for two defensive midfielders in central midfield. So if he plays any two of Millar/Wedderburn/McKay it could be utterly chronic for both teams. 

11 hours ago, airdrieman said:

We haven't played the same team two games running yet this season and I don't expect us to do so this weekend. I think we probably will stick with the back three though I'm not sure that's actually our best formation. Agree about the midfield battle being key. Is it still Hutton and Carswell in the middle for Dumbarton? Playing Roberts there could give us a real edge as he'll be the only one with any sort of pace, dynamism or creativity. For the last three games though, and indeed for much of this season, Murray's went for two defensive midfielders in central midfield. So if he plays any two of Millar/Wedderburn/McKay it could be utterly chronic for both teams. 

Carswell picked up an injury a couple of weeks in and only came back into the team against Montrose. Our central midfield will either be Hutton, Carswell and Joe McKee or Hutton, Carswell and Ruaridh Langan, with McKee playing on the right (as we did against Montrose). I personally would prefer the former as I'm not convinced with McKee on the right, however we've won every game that Langan has started so it might be a bit harsh to drop him.

This will be the first game of the season that I’ll miss, so we’ll probably put in a performance and come away with three points. I’d go:

Hutton

Fordyce - Crighton - Eckersley

Thomson - McKay - Millar - McCann

Carrick

Gallagher - Smith

Probably a bit harsh leaving Kerr and McDonald out but I don’t think Eckersley can miss out on the starting eleven when fit, and we can’t persist to play Thomson at LWB.

This will be the first game of the season that I’ll miss, so we’ll probably put in a performance and come away with three points. I’d go:

Hutton

Fordyce - Crighton - Eckersley

Thomson - McKay - Millar - McCann

Carrick

Gallagher - Smith

Probably a bit harsh leaving Kerr and McDonald out but I don’t think Eckersley can miss out on the starting eleven when fit, and we can’t persist to play Thomson at LWB.

Think Eckersley will probably start to play on the left of a back 3 in the long run but I agree it would be harsh to leave Kerr out. I'm a fan of Thomson and generally prefer to see him starting than on the bench but I'm not sure about him as a wing back. Rest of the team looks pretty much as I'd expect and hope for.

17 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Think Eckersley will probably start to play on the left of a back 3 in the long run but I agree it would be harsh to leave Kerr out. I'm a fan of Thomson and generally prefer to see him starting than on the bench but I'm not sure about him as a wing back. Rest of the team looks pretty much as I'd expect and hope for.

I think it will be that formation but Murray always takes me by surprise. He seems ok to leave Nat out and I think he will keep Kerr in the back 3 and Ecks on the bench. I will be wrong big time as usual. I can see us getting an away win for once in Dumbarton.