Staggies vs Buddies - 14/09/19

12 hours ago, Munoz said:

A repeat of this cracker will do. 

I was in the Dubai desert getting pished at the expense of Smith & Nephew when that game was going on. The texts from my mate at the game for the goals near the end arrived in the wrong order, causing no end of confusion. 

The last time we played up there was in 2015. Despite being relegated that season we actually won twice in Dingwall.

The first win in January ended in some fantastic scenes in the away end. Sean Kelly opened the scoring for us then Yoann Arquin got sent off (later rescinded) late in the first half.

Cue a sustained rear guard action for the whole second half before conceding a gut wrenching equaliser in the 82nd minute. I seem to remember we were then holding on for a point with County throwing bodies forward to win the game. Then counter attack, assist Sean Kelly (whatever happened to him?) goal Stevie Mallan, 1-2 win.

We also won 1-2 in a post split dead rubber with a late Thommo penalty.

3 Dingwall 1-2’s in a row please.

12 hours ago, Lex said:

The last time we played up there was in 2015. Despite being relegated that season we actually won twice in Dingwall.

The first win in January ended in some fantastic scenes in the away end. Sean Kelly opened the scoring for us then Yoann Arquin got sent off (later rescinded) late in the first half.

Cue a sustained rear guard action for the whole second half before conceding a gut wrenching equaliser in the 82nd minute. I seem to remember we were then holding on for a point with County throwing bodies forward to win the game. Then counter attack, assist Sean Kelly (whatever happened to him?) goal Stevie Mallan, 1-2 win.

We also won 1-2 in a post split dead rubber with a late Thommo penalty.

3 Dingwall 1-2’s in a row please.

In the first of those two matches St Mirren were the better team by miles.  Kenny McLean - playing off Arquin - ended Lewis Toshney's top flight career that day.  The Arquin sending off was hilarious. It didn't matter much though because McLean played up front on his own and was outstanding. Joe Cardle's top flight career was effectively done that day as well, usurped by Tony Dingwall and then Raffaele De Vita (who was on trial at St Mirren before kick-starting Ross County's revival in February).

In the second of those matches I don't know how County weren't three or four up before Mallan's equaliser.  One of a small handful of one-sided games completely dominated by Ross County in the top-flight (even more so than the 5-1 in Paisley that season IMO).

ETA don’t know where I got 5-1 from, it was 3-0 with *that* Boyce hat trick

Edited by bunglebonce

49 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

In the first of those two matches St Mirren were the better team by miles.  Kenny McLean - playing off Arquin - ended Lewis Toshney's top flight career that day.  The Arquin sending off was hilarious. It didn't matter much though because McLean played up front on his own and was outstanding. Joe Cardle's top flight career was effectively done that day as well, usurped by Tony Dingwall and then Raffaele De Vita (who was on trial at St Mirren before kick-starting Ross County's revival in February).

In the second of those matches I don't know how County weren't three or four up before Mallan's equaliser.  One of a small handful of one-sided games completely dominated by Ross County in the top-flight (even more so than the 5-1 in Paisley that season IMO).

Similarly, the 3-0 in Paisley sealed Gary Teale's fate as manager. 

Teale actually did a decent job overall and think he should have had at least another crack at the whip elsewhere as he proved he was a massive improvement on the disaster of Tommy Craig. But really it came down to two games in the space of a week, pre-split against relegation rivals. County at home and Motherwell away and we completely folded in both, losing 5-0 at Fir Park and 3-0 at home to county. 

Made all the more galling that we then beat both sides a couple of weeks later in post split when the pressure was off and we were already down. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Similarly, the 3-0 in Paisley sealed Gary Teale's fate as manager. 

Teale actually did a decent job overall and think he should have had at least another crack at the whip elsewhere as he proved he was a massive improvement on the disaster of Tommy Craig. But really it came down to two games in the space of a week, pre-split against relegation rivals. County at home and Motherwell away and we completely folded in both, losing 5-0 at Fir Park and 3-0 at home to county. 

Made all the more galling that we then beat both sides a couple of weeks later in post split when the pressure was off and we were already down. 

Seem to remember the other home game against Motherwell being a bit of a kick in the stones as well.

First game for their new manager Jim Baraclough. Kenny McLean made his bow as a lone  striker ( can’t remember if this was due to an injury up front or a sending off ) and he was brilliant. A header off the bar and in that wasn’t given and St Mirren being the far better team only for John Sutton( I think ) to score the only goal of the game late on . 

4 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Yeah it's a bit windy but I'd be VERY surprised if there were any doubts about the match in Dingwall. 

That’s good to hear, as there are quite a few of our fans already up in Dingwall. Nothing worse than making that journey then the game is called off. 

1 hour ago, Saint Shug said:

Seem to remember the other home game against Motherwell being a bit of a kick in the stones as well.

First game for their new manager Jim Baraclough. Kenny McLean made his bow as a lone  striker ( can’t remember if this was due to an injury up front or a sending off ) and he was brilliant. A header off the bar and in that wasn’t given and St Mirren being the far better team only for John Sutton( I think ) to score the only goal of the game late on . 

That was just one of those seasons. Every team has had them when absolutely everything goes against you, much of it self inflicted. That McLean header was about 3 feet over the line, we were all celebrating and it took a wee minute to sink in that the ref hasn't given it. I'm pretty sure we got about 4 red cards rescinded that season as well, we were always down to 10 men.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

That’s good to hear, as there are quite a few of our fans already up in Dingwall. Nothing worse than making that journey then the game is called off. 

Done that before, Knox Street bus up at 8am only for game to be called off at 2pm.

Can't remember most of the rest of the day as I was mangled.

6 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

IIRC Mallan's equaliser was a diving "header" that was actually a blatant punch into the net. 

Some of those names make me weep. Some from different reasons than others.