Ayr United v Dundee United

16 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I'd be shocked too. But we need to get past this picking / not picking players because of who they play against. 

Given our lack of striking options, and the fact these upcoming games are menaingless, I don't see any merit on not picking him. Same goes for quite a few other players too

I see there's already calls in some quarters for Billy Gilmour to get a call up and of course he's only played in non contact colt games so far.

As usual in Scottish football it's all politics and all about what ex old firm players turned pundits think should happen.

Nae wonder we're screwed...........

On 07/09/2019 at 19:22, callum-ayr said:

My first league match of the season, not sure how we’ll line up for this. Injuries starting earlier than usual for us! If they are fit, I’d go with:

Doohan

Geggan Bell Adams Harvie

Docherty Kerr Kelly

McCowan Moffat Forrest

Subs: Hare-Reid, Muirhead, Ecrepont, Houston, Rosscoe, Doolan, McKenzie 

An optimistic 1-1, Kelly for us.

Think we’ll see Muirhead in for Adams, not sure we have anyone to fill the space on the bench. Still fancy a draw in this one. 

12 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Think we’ll see Muirhead in for Adams, not sure we have anyone to fill the space on the bench. Still fancy a draw in this one. 

Is Muirhead fit / carrying a knock after hobbling off last Saturday?

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Has to be the latter option surely. We've played very well using those players in those positions

I like Butcher in midfield, he is a bit more of a battler than the other two and there’s times that is required.  Maybe start with the new lad (assuming he’s match fit) and drop Butcher back if it’s not working.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I see there's already calls in some quarters for Billy Gilmour to get a call up and of course he's only played in non contact colt games so far.

As usual in Scottish football it's all politics and all about what ex old firm players turned pundits think should happen.

Nae wonder we're screwed...........

Wouldn't be against it - he'd do well to be worse than what we have at present

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I like Butcher in midfield, he is a bit more of a battler than the other two and there’s times that is required.  Maybe start with the new lad (assuming he’s match fit) and drop Butcher back if it’s not working.

We'll find out about 2pm tomorrow i guess

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

Is Muirhead fit / carrying a knock after hobbling off last Saturday?

He looked as if he had pulled something, he soldiered on for about 10  minutes after the initial injury but then had to, as you say, hobble off.

Looking at the nick of him at the time, I'd be very surprised if he played.

Let's just hope that Muirhead is actually fit and does not break down during the game . If that does happen our only option is moving Harvrie infield and bringing on Eccripont . We really have no other cards to play .. That being said DU will be coming down to play ,as we will ,so we'll have some time in attack , but over all I think they'll have too much depth and quality for us . I have the feeling it could be a high scoring affair with us going down in a similar manner to Dundee ,maybe 3-5 or 3-4 .....

The big fellow (LS) is 9/2 for two or more or 20/1 for the hat trick . Young Roscoe is going to learn tomorrow what many centre half's in the Championship already know ,on his day LS is very much the real deal .

But this really is a free hit for Ayr ,the next two are much more doable and much more important for our season ...

This. I’m liking Harkes and Stanton more and more these days, but I think they have more potential be over-run in midfield when we’re up against it.
McCall’s teams are always very streetwise, so I’d like Butcher in there to solidify things for us in the middle.
I’d have Stanton in beside him, with Harkes as a good option to turn to.

Bell is the one who organises the defence so can see it being a bit of a shambles tomorrow.  Roscoe still seems a bit green and Muirhead prob isn't match fit,  then  there's Geggan who's always good for  an injure.

Edited by UpInTheAyr

It's hardly that bad !!

Moore and Ross are due back within the next week or two and only Murdoch is long term. It's obviously not ideal having Bell out but as far as I'm aware Bell, Adams and McGuffie are just short term niggles and if Muirhead is fit then that takes care of itself.

There's also no point in worrying about "potential" injuries as that would just drive any sane person mad !!!

All in all we've got a decent sized pool for our budget and anyone who thinks we should have 3 quality players for each position is either completely deluded or been watching too much English Premiership football or spending too much time on fantasy football management games online.

Welcome to the real world !!!!

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's hardly that bad !!

Moore and Ross are due back within the next week or two and only Murdoch is long term. It's obviously not ideal having Bell out but as far as I'm aware Bell, Adams and McGuffie are just short term niggles and if Muirhead is fit then that takes care of itself.

There's also no point in worrying about "potential" injuries as that would just drive any sane person mad !!!

All in all we've got a decent sized pool for our budget and anyone who thinks we should have 3 quality players for each position is either completely deluded or been watching too much English Premiership football or spending too much time on fantasy football management games online.

^^^^ Putting on a brave face.

It's hardly that bad !!
It appears to be the usual though from McCall, before the Wrexham game McGuffie was classed as having a thigh strain and "wouldn't be risked for Wrexham", to me that means he'd be back for Dundee United but he ain't. Moore and Ross both seem to be getting delayed, initially they were both supposed to be back for beginning of September but now that's us in the middle of the month and still no sign of them. Just frustrating it's the same old story every season.