Queens v Morton

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Just me that thought we played ok today then and deserved to win? I wouldnt argue too much with VT's analysis actually, just didnt think we were terrible. We started brightly enough, deserved the lead when we got it and missed a couple of good chances to extend the lead, notably Dobbie's 6 yard box free header 2nd half. 

We got too deep last 20 mins of course but defending a 1-0 lead with no wins all season and Morton sticking on three big subs and launching balls into our box that was inevitable (bizarre they took off their long throw expert though). Even so, free kick apart, we dealt comfortably enough with everything. Outstanding save from the free kick by McCrorie. And he took crosses well all game which is novel enough in a keeper here to warrant a man of the match award! But in reality El Bakhtaoui was the pick for me. And Holt had his best game so far whilst the two centre backs did all that was asked of them. 

It wasnt massively pretty but it was a good, hard earned, and for me deserved, win.

Wow, thanks for that neither informed nor ill informed analysis. Must just be personal opinion, the same as others are entitled to post. 

16 hours ago, virginton said:

We could have kept playing until now and still wouldn’t have scored though. McCrorie’s good save from a Cadden free kick (largely down to positioning himself correctly unlike most useless keepers in this division) was the only serious chance to equalise in that half.

Sutton had a great chance second half 

On 14/09/2019 at 17:36, the_palmy_pie said:

Thought we were at Ibrox with some of the Morton songs today . Big blue nose following I take it. Strange bunch 🤔

^^^^ Wrong.

i thought morton's central defenders looked far better than the shite that we have had before yesterday. Welsh and Baird must be the default CB choice from now on.

We missed Nesbitt but we should be able to deal with an injured player or two.  I thought we had more chances that Queens, but they defended well and seemed to block most efforts on target.  McCrorie basically won the game for Queens with a number of excellent saves, and I still wonder why we didn't try to keep him at Cappielow - would rather have Gaston than Rogers, and Ramsbottom, happily not playing yesterday, just isn't a keeper.

We have a fair number of young players and we are a work in progress - Cadden always looks dangerous, and Colville looks like a real prospect (still getting up to speed I think). Strapp and Lyon are improving with games, but Chris Millar, to me, looks done - too many misplaced passes and errors.  We aren't far away from being a decent team (not title challengers sadly) but we are a bit short of cover for injuries.  Jury still out on Rogers, but FFS what was he doing for that goal?  Seemed to trickle in so slowly that he could have run along the line and picked it up.

Still need a RB.  Jacobs is wasted there, and having Lyon wide right doesn't work as well as having him in the middle - drop Millar, and maybe McAlister too for that matter.

I reckon both teams will finish mid-table.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I thought we had more chances that Queens, but they defended well and seemed to block most efforts on target.  McCrorie basically won the game for Queens with a number of excellent saves

Still need a RB.  Jacobs is wasted there

You had what? 🤪

McCrorie made a wonderful save from Cadden's free kick but frankly had nothing else to do that I couldnt have done. You could have thrown a hat over any other Morton effort on target.

Agree with you about Jacobs though. He can cover right back but he was wasted there. I dont think its any coincidence you improved immensely once McLean came on and Jacobs went back into midfield. We miss Jacobs enormously and havent replaced him in that holding midfield role. 

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Jury still out on Rogers, but FFS what was he doing for that goal?  Seemed to trickle in so slowly that he could have run along the line and picked it up.

My thinking also. Think keeper was maybe expecting him to go to the other side of the goal. 

10 hours ago, Alibi said:

^^^^ Wrong.

i thought morton's central defenders looked far better than the shite that we have had before yesterday. Welsh and Baird must be the default CB choice from now on.

We missed Nesbitt but we should be able to deal with an injured player or two.  I thought we had more chances that Queens, but they defended well and seemed to block most efforts on target.  McCrorie basically won the game for Queens with a number of excellent saves, and I still wonder why we didn't try to keep him at Cappielow - would rather have Gaston than Rogers, and Ramsbottom, happily not playing yesterday, just isn't a keeper.

We have a fair number of young players and we are a work in progress - Cadden always looks dangerous, and Colville looks like a real prospect (still getting up to speed I think). Strapp and Lyon are improving with games, but Chris Millar, to me, looks done - too many misplaced passes and errors.  We aren't far away from being a decent team (not title challengers sadly) but we are a bit short of cover for injuries.  Jury still out on Rogers, but FFS what was he doing for that goal?  Seemed to trickle in so slowly that he could have run along the line and picked it up.

Still need a RB.  Jacobs is wasted there, and having Lyon wide right doesn't work as well as having him in the middle - drop Millar, and maybe McAlister too for that matter.

I reckon both teams will finish mid-table.

Your big no. 30 looked impressive but punting high balls up to Dobbie and Oliver was playing right into his hands.  

As for Jacobs,  at right back,  I know what you mean.  A couple of seasons back playing for us he was moved from midfield to fill  in at RB owing to injuries and it basically weakened that position and our midfield. 

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You had what? 🤪

McCrorie made a wonderful save from Cadden's free kick but frankly had nothing else to do that I couldnt have done. You could have thrown a hat over any other Morton effort on target.

Agree with you about Jacobs though. He can cover right back but he was wasted there. I dont think its any coincidence you improved immensely once McLean came on and Jacobs went back into midfield. We miss Jacobs enormously and havent replaced him in that holding midfield role. 

We had quite a few efforts where Queens defenders managed to block the shots before they got anywhere near the keeper.  Good defending by Queens.  Apart from the Cadden free kick, McCrorie had at least two decent (competent) saves down at the post, one to his left and one to his right that I can recall.  He's not the finished article, but McCrorie was a terrific signing by Queens and I'd have been delighted if we had kept him on (I have no idea if we tried to but I suspect not).

I reckon if we had kept Strapp on (tried very hard to work that one into this post, ooer missus), and stuck to the strategy that was working fairly well at that point, we might have got an equaliser.  After McLean came on, we seemed to (immediately) lose the initiative.

I assume you mean return it to grass.

Yes while we used to train on plastic I think we have returned to grass and some of our players took time to find their feet on it never mind understand the bounce. 

But reality is renting out makes financial sense.