Queens v Morton

Why oh why does Lewis Kidd get such a hard time! He is so underrated. Having a midfielder who keeps the ball so well and always picks out the right pass is such a bonus. I wasnt very pleased when he returned but I feel his criticism is way over the top. 
He isn't good enough for this level is the reason. He wasn't dreadful today but even at his best, his best isn't good enough for this level. As palmy_cammy has just said, our current CM is on par with those two imposters under Gus.

Two terrible teams result in in a brutal game of football - Queen of the South rightly won’t care though as it’s clear they needed to get a win on the board by any means possible. The balance of chances was fairly even but the onus was on Morton to respond after sloppy defending for the goal and we proved alarmingly toothless. Nesbitt was a major loss but that level of performance is inexcusable and of far bigger concern than the Inverness shoeing.

Johansson responded to the team leaking goals like a sieve by tightening the ship and losing most of our attacking threat early into his reign last season: that showing today was a carbon copy, other than the fact that Johansson actually scraped a point against a similarly poor Queens side in March.

I’m not interested in hearing any more deflection about playing young players from Hopkin but rather a coherent explanation as to what he’s going to do to sort things out now. Because with both Dundee sides to play there’s every chance we’ll finish this month in or around the relegation spots. Given the squad now at his disposal, I don’t think that should be happening at all.

We could have kept playing until now and still wouldn’t have scored though. McCrorie’s good save from a Cadden free kick (largely down to positioning himself correctly unlike most useless keepers in this division) was the only serious chance to equalise in that half.

It was poor stuff but at least we defended well and McCrorie was excellent. El Bak did well in a position that wouldn’t be his preferred one.Dobbie is most certainly not finished at this level but he is clearly carrying an injury and was visibly limping at times. Madness to play him last week at Clyde as another weeks rest would surely have helped his recovery. Trouble is he wants to play every game and sometimes Manager needs to protect him from himself.

Much needed win as we have to stay close to Arbroath because if we finish below them we will be in play off at best.

There was a spell in the middle of second half where a Morton equaliser looked inevitable just before they made their double substitution. Rather than have the desired effect though, it seemed to kill their momentum.

Then at the end, while we weren’t quite defending for our lives but we noticeably sat back and had to deal with a bit of an onslaught.

It’s terrifying to watch but we are at least a bit better equipped this season to deal with balls lumped into the box. McCrorie deals with most things that come his way, and for all his clear inabilities with the ball at his feet, Brownlie wins most things in the air. Holt provides an extra aerial presence we didn’t have last season as well.

We lost narrowly to Ayr and Alloa with the one bit of quality in the game being the difference and I suppose you could say the same thing happened today but in our favour. If it had been a draw, or even a narrow defeat we couldn’t really have grumbled about it too much.

Didn’t make the game today, but I’ve always rated Pybus. Inexperienced, but is often found having to do the job of 2 CM’s due to his lack of capable partner.

Brownlie seems like a genuinely good defender for this level now, and a leader at the back.

Having been at every other game (bar Ayr), I can imagine that we were bad, but f*** me Morton must be shit

It was poor stuff but at least we defended well and McCrorie was excellent. El Bak did well in a position that wouldn’t be his preferred one.Dobbie is most certainly not finished at this level but he is clearly carrying an injury and was visibly limping at times. Madness to play him last week at Clyde as another weeks rest would surely have helped his recovery. Trouble is he wants to play every game and sometimes Manager needs to protect him from himself.

Much needed win as we have to stay close to Arbroath because if we finish below them we will be in play off at best.

Limped off when subbed also, totally agree nowhere near finished.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Can't really add much to my HT summary. Just an awful game of football not helped by an awful playing surface. Positives - a win and a clean sheet. That's all that really matters and after playing well against Ayr and getting nothing, I'd much rather play poor and win.

Both those sides will be down the bottom with Alloa come the end of the season. We just don't have enough in midfield and Morton look like they'll concede a fair few. I don't think I've ever saw a goalkeeper so awful positionally as there's today.

Pybus put in a shift in the middle and Kidd wasn't terrible but even when he plays OK he's just way below the standard required. Murray was very quiet today as well. McCrorie's save from the FK was worthy of MoM alone but my personal MoM was Brownlie. Won his headers and was commanding throughout. He appears to finally be maturing and cutting out the silly fouls.

Are Morton fans always as vicious towards ex-players? Or were the group of morons there today just a one off?

No, those morons are always present at the Queens games.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm actively resisting reaching the same conclusion.

I still think he's our best bet and would start him every week, even from a wheelchair.  I wonder though.  It's maybe just that he's had a couple of poor games.  It's maybe just that he's not quite fully fit.  

I worry though that time might have caught up sufficiently to dull his genius.  I'll reserve judgement for a bit though, and even then give him the benefit of any doubt.  He at least deserves that from us.

Just before El scored Dobbie had a shot blocked just as he was kicking it and I thought he got injured at that point. He was struggling for most of the game after that.

34 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Just before El scored Dobbie had a shot blocked just as he was kicking it and I thought he got injured at that point. He was struggling for most of the game after that.

Yes, it looked a potentially sore one at the time, but he jumped straight up from it.  His movement did look laboured thereafter though, so the block probably had had an impact.

I can unfortunately see him spending more time injured this season too.  We all know how good he can be; it's just a question of hoping he can still be that good.

3 hours ago, MallanandFlanagan said:
4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:
Absolutely delighted we won that.
Christ, it was rubbish though.

It's a massive relief to get the first win. Hopefully this will build the confidence of the team.

Confidence is one thing unfortunately so is ability, Something we are lacking.

Just me that thought we played ok today then and deserved to win? I wouldnt argue too much with VT's analysis actually, just didnt think we were terrible. We started brightly enough, deserved the lead when we got it and missed a couple of good chances to extend the lead, notably Dobbie's 6 yard box free header 2nd half. 

We got too deep last 20 mins of course but defending a 1-0 lead with no wins all season and Morton sticking on three big subs and launching balls into our box that was inevitable (bizarre they took off their long throw expert though). Even so, free kick apart, we dealt comfortably enough with everything. Outstanding save from the free kick by McCrorie. And he took crosses well all game which is novel enough in a keeper here to warrant a man of the match award! But in reality El Bakhtaoui was the pick for me. And Holt had his best game so far whilst the two centre backs did all that was asked of them. 

It wasnt massively pretty but it was a good, hard earned, and for me deserved, win.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I'm actively resisting reaching the same conclusion.
I still think he's our best bet and would start him every week, even from a wheelchair.  I wonder though.  It's maybe just that he's had a couple of poor games.  It's maybe just that he's not quite fully fit.  
I worry though that time might have caught up sufficiently to dull his genius.  I'll reserve judgement for a bit though, and even then give him the benefit of any doubt.  He at least deserves that from us.

Do ether of you two not realise he is not fit and he needs time to regain match fitness

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Two terrible teams result in in a brutal game of football - Queen of the South rightly won’t care though as it’s clear they needed to get a win on the board by any means possible. The balance of chances was fairly even but the onus was on Morton to respond after sloppy defending for the goal and we proved alarmingly toothless. Nesbitt was a major loss but that level of performance is inexcusable and of far bigger concern than the Inverness shoeing.

Johansson responded to the team leaking goals like a sieve by tightening the ship and losing most of our attacking threat early into his reign last season: that showing today was a carbon copy, other than the fact that Johansson actually scraped a point against a similarly poor Queens side in March.

I’m not interested in hearing any more deflection about playing young players from Hopkin but rather a coherent explanation as to what he’s going to do to sort things out now. Because with both Dundee sides to play there’s every chance we’ll finish this month in or around the relegation spots. Given the squad now at his disposal, I don’t think that should be happening at all.

Awww....wee shame😄

35 minutes ago, lowland star said:

Do ether of you two not realise he is not fit and he needs time to regain match fitness

Yes, I should probably have said something in my post like "It's maybe just that he's not fully fit".  

If only I had.

PS There's just one of me I think.

Edited by Monkey Tennis