Our Best XI

accies1874

13 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

You are just basing that on who he plays for nothing else.

He has shown nothing to indicate he should be a regular based on his performances in a Scotland shirt so far.

Performances for Scotland are largely irrelevant, and arguably he's done fine.  There's a reason he plays for Man Utd and Kenny McLean can't get a game for Norwich.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Kuro said:
Performances for Scotland are largely irrelevant, and arguably he's done fine.  There's a reason he plays for Man Utd and Kenny McLean can't get a game for Norwich.

Awright Fuzzy. Ive watched quite a few of his games for Man U. c80% of them he's been utter shite and hardly touched the ball

Aye that's why he keeps getting picked eh.  My advice for a lot of football fans would be don't assume you know anything about football, you'll learn much more by analysing the decisions of those that clearly do instead of forming your own opinion.  That's how I can tell a good player without even watching him play and vice-versa.

3-5-2 when fit:

Marshall
       McKenna Porteous Tierney

Paterson                          Robertson

McTominay

Mcginn       Gilmour

McGregor 

Griffiths 

54 minutes ago, ZvonimirBoban said:

3-5-2 when fit:

Marshall
       McKenna Porteous Tierney

McTominay

Mcginn       Gilmour

McGregor 

Griffiths 

Forgot about Paterson, but might be worth sticking him up top if Griffiths isn't available, played/plays there with Cardiff and has a pretty good goal record for a former fullback. He's not an option for wing back for me though. struggled badly last time there for scotland.

You are just basing that on who he plays for nothing else.

He has shown nothing to indicate he should be a regular based on his performances in a Scotland shirt so far.

Would you say the same about Andy Robertson? He’s certainly not being picked based on his Scotland performances because he’s been one of the worst players on the park during this campaign.

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Folk not having Christie and Griffiths in their best XI's

Reaction GIF: cringe, oops, Britney Spears

I'm not sure Christie is better than the alternatives, and Griffiths either tbf, certainly not till he gets back to his best.  I mean is Christie obviously better than Snodgrass and Armstrong?  Is he?  Really?  Do you think he'd still be in Scotland if he was so much better than them?

5 minutes ago, Kuro said:

I'm not sure Christie is better than the alternatives, and Griffiths either tbf, certainly not till he gets back to his best.  I mean is Christie obviously better than Snodgrass and Armstrong?  Is he?  Really?  Do you think he'd still be in Scotland if he was so much better than them?

I'd have Armstrong in the best XI too.  Snodgrass is a no for me,  he's getting on a bit now and doesn't look as dynamic as Christie. He certainly plays at a far slower tempo than him.

17 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Awright Fuzzy. Ive watched quite a few of his games for Man U. c80% of them he's been utter shite and hardly touched the ball

It's in depth analysis like this that the National Team have been lacking. Have you contacted Steve Clarke and his team with your CV?

31 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Folk not having Christie and Griffiths in their best XI's

Reaction GIF: cringe, oops, Britney Spears

Christie definitely for me - he should've started in behind McBurnie against Russia instead of McGinn or McGregor. Griffiths has a wee bit of work to do, but no doubts he should be in the squad.

Marshall

Tierney ? McKenna Robertson

McTominay ?

? Christie/Armstrong ?

Griffiths/McBurnie

f**k knows really, think we need to just try some options over the next few qualifiers to try have a better idea of an XI for the play-offs. It’s all well and good just picking your best players but just blindly chucking the best 11 onto the pitch doesn’t mean it’s the best team that compliment one another.

For what it’s worth I’m not convinced the 4-3-3 that we played the last two games suits us. 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 is the way to go I think - the defence and midfield certainly looked more solid in the Belgium away game with the 2 banks of 4 (even given we conceded 3 goals).

Guest DAVIDB69

Would you say the same about Andy Robertson? He’s certainly not being picked based on his Scotland performances because he’s been one of the worst players on the park during this campaign.

Thats fair , however he is our best player in the squad by a distance and we can’t drop him .

The only other player who performs to a high standard is Ryan Fraser but we haven’t seen his Bournemouth best form this season and unfortunately not in a Scotland shirt.

No other player in the squad mctominay , mcburnie etc has ever reached the above level at club level or international level

Guest DAVIDB69
I'd have Armstrong in the best XI too.  Snodgrass is a no for me,  he's getting on a bit now and doesn't look as dynamic as Christie. He certainly plays at a far slower tempo than him.

Isn’t Griffiths pushing 30

19 hours ago, ZvonimirBoban said:

3-5-2 when fit:

Marshall
       McKenna Porteous Tierney

McTominay

Mcginn       Gilmour

McGregor 

Griffiths 

18 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

Forgot about Paterson, but might be worth sticking him up top if Griffiths isn't available, played/plays there with Cardiff and has a pretty good goal record for a former fullback. He's not an option for wing back for me though. struggled badly last time there for scotland.

Paterson shouldn't be anywhere near our best 110 Honestly. 

The best - or at least most convincing - performances over the last 2 years have been 3-0 away to Lithuania and 4-0 away to Albania.

Got to look at the shape (4231?) and personnel (e.g. Armstrong started both, I think) in those two fixtures and see if there's something we can apply again.

Not a silver bullet of course, and possibly coincidence (maybe Albania and Lithuania were just totally honking), but surely something to build from.