Line up face Belgium

16 minutes ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

Scotland line up face Belgium on Monday after lost face Russia 2-1 tonight result 

same or changes team 

Will be a goalie, two banks of four and five lined up in front of him, and one lone, poor soul, asked to run around thanklessly, and if, and I do mean if, the ball gets to him, then he will be required to hold onto it until support arrives - which should get there by Wednesday March 19th, 2025.

Our plan will be clear. It will be to desperately hope that the Belgians have a shite day, and we escape with a 0-0.

Basically, it’s the ‘St Mirren away at Celtic Park’ plan. I know it well.

Edited by pozbaird

The tactics and game plan were a mess last night, and that's on Clarke, not the players.

If Clarke intends to surrender possession and territory(which is fair enough against top sides, but I'm unsure if we should be doing it at home to 2nd tier sides like Russia) then we need a decent out ball and a player(s) to play off the main forward. Or, as we seen last night, McBurnie was completely isolated, no one within 30 yards of him at times. Russia were just able to recycle the ball and keep the pressure on.

In this situation, I would sacrifice Forrest and Fraser, they're good in the final third, but useless if they're spending the majority of the game in our half. Play with an extra centre back to mark the opponent's centre forward, defensive wing backs and Christie to play off McBurnie.

i'd agree with the above , mcginn, robertson, forrest and mcgregor all thrive in teams which try and play football and at a good tempo last night , we took all that away from them by sitting back on our 18 yard line after we'd scored , sitting so deep we could barely spring a  counter attack

Marshall

Bates Mulgrew Cooper

Palmer                   Robertson

McLean              McSauce

Armstrong 

Christie      Russell

3-5-2

Armstrong linking the midfield to the strikers. Robertson can provide width on the left and Christie can drop back a bit for width on the right. Could play Fraser there either or

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Marshall

Bates Mulgrew Cooper

Palmer                   Robertson

McLean              McSauce

Armstrong 

Christie      Russell

3-5-2

Armstrong linking the midfield to the strikers. Robertson can provide width on the left and Christie can drop back a bit for width on the right. Could play Fraser there either or

Palmer out injury 

The tactics and game plan were a mess last night, and that's on Clarke, not the players.
If Clarke intends to surrender possession and territory

I really don't think surrendering possession and territory was ever remotely part of the plan. Until the first goal we were toe to toe in midfield. It seemed clear from Andy Roberson's interview that what happened next was entirely on the players.

12 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I really don't think surrendering possession and territory was ever remotely part of the plan. Until the first goal we were toe to toe in midfield. It seemed clear from Andy Roberson's interview that what happened next was entirely on the players.

Why then, did Clarke allow Mulgrew to organise a retreat to our 18 yard line, then start the 2nd half in much the same fashion ?

Are the players ignoring Clarke's instructions ?

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Why then, did Clarke allow Mulgrew to organise a retreat to our 18 yard line, then start the 2nd half in much the same fashion ?

Are the players ignoring Clarke's instructions ?

Really bewildering interview last night. It’s clear it wasn’t the plan so why wasn’t it fixed? We surrendered the game. That can’t happen again.