Grandparent rule

Get the grandparent rule tae fuck  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Always hated it, when players like Matt Phillips (who aren't even that good) come to Scotland for the first time, it's to play for the national team... Ridiculous. 

Time to get that rule to f**k and get shot of those who aren't good enough to play for their own countries. 

Would rather have a player with no Scottish blood whatsoever but has lived in Scotland for a large portion of their lives, they're more Scottish than the chancers like Phillips etc etc. 

The list is massive of players we wouldn't have had. I'm happy to take players if they are interested and are good. I actually thought Phillips was decent tonight when he came on

We'd be throwing away Kieran Tierney, and would never have had Shaun Maloney, if we're only picking folk born here.

4 minutes ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Tierney was born to Scottish parents... 

Ah, so if you only set foot in Scotland for International games, but your parents were born here, it's fine?

Only players born in a tenement who have ginger hair and can trace their lineage back to Robert the Bruce should play for Scotland.

Makes it too easy. Blind taste test of old versus new Irn Bru or you aren’t getting a game.

It’s a weird world in which people respond to bad results by deciding we should pick from fewer players.

Some people do seem to want rid of the 'grandparent' aspect, not going as far as players who happen to be born abroad of Scottish parents in the forces/diplomatic service or whatever, nor those who grew up here.

Contrary to expectation the only modern players who could have been excluded by such policy would have been: George Boyd (2 caps), Liam Bridcutt (2), Kris Commons (12), Scott Dobie (6), Danny Fox (4), Matt Gilks (3), Jonathan Gould (2), Craig Mackaill-Smith (7), Jay McEveley (3), Jamie Mackie (9), James Morrison (46), Liam Palmer (1), Matt Phillips (14), Nigel Quashie (14), Robbie Stockdale (5), Neil Sullivan (28). Even then I don't know if any of them grew-up here. So the only real stalwarts you'd have lost would've been Neil Sullivan and James Morrison, then you're talking squad players/occasional starters like Commons, Phillips, Mackie and Quashie; then host of bit-parters nearly-men and never-men. So not a huge difference but then that'll fuel both sides of argument.

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Makes it too easy. Blind taste test of old versus new Irn Bru or you aren’t getting a game.

It’s a weird world in which people respond to bad results by deciding we should pick from fewer players.

I'm seeing a depressing rise again in, basically, "blame the English". Never mind that those players are likely the best of shite options, we need to cut down our options and only play shortbread tins. Because the thing really letting us down is fucking accents. 

9 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Always hated it, when players like Matt Phillips (who aren't even that good) come to Scotland for the first time, it's to play for the national team... Ridiculous. 

Time to get that rule to f**k and get shot of those who aren't good enough to play for their own countries. 

Would rather have a player with no Scottish blood whatsoever but has lived in Scotland for a large portion of their lives, they're more Scottish than the chancers like Phillips etc etc. 

Why is it that every time we lose the old Blood Fascists take it as a cue to push this banal shite on everyone?

What on earth makes you think that a SMALLER pool of available players is going to improve matters? Brexit bullshit. 

folk seem to think patriotism is  universal, its not . its just higher than average amongst international sports fans.  players will do whatever the can to further their own careers.

it does defeat the point in nternational sports. I'd like to see it reduced to either born, parents or having spent the bulk of a childhood here so that only players who can honestly call the country home can play. not because it will make us any better but because we already have club football for scouting and signing players from anywhere and that's not the point in internationals

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

folk seem to think patriotism is  universal, its not . its just higher than average amongst international sports fans.  players will do whatever the can to further their own careers.

it does defeat the point in nternational sports. I'd like to see it reduced to either born, parents or having spent the bulk of a childhood here so that only players who can honestly call the country home can play. not because it will make us any better but because we already have club football for scouting and signing players from anywhere and that's not the point in internationals

Couldn't have put it any better myself. 

If someone wants to play for Scotland, is good enough to warrant being selected and puts everything they have into playing well for us; then I don’t give a f**k if he’s there because his cat was born here, they should be in the team.

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

If someone wants to play for Scotland, is good enough to warrant being selected and puts everything they have into playing well for us; then I don’t give a f**k if he’s there because his cat was born here, they should be in the team.

why not just play a team of foreigners who are not good enough to make their own first teams but are still better than our players? results  like?