Away Ticket Pricing

19 hours ago, strichener said:

So you are happy to spend over £100 for your afternoon but think £20 should be the most you pay for the football????

I am sure there is some logic to this.  Maybe just have a couple of beers less.

You've not met @Mitch before, I see. 

However much you do or don't spend on the rest of the day is completely irrelevant to whether you think entry to the football is good value or not. When the alternative is, "well just sacrifice another good part of your day to pay extra to get in to the football" then you've lost the argument in my view. 

Edited by Desp

1 hour ago, Desp said:

You've not met @Mitch before, I see. 

However much you do or don't spend on the rest of the day is completely irrelevant to whether you think entry to the football is good value or not. When the alternative is, "well just sacrifice another good part of your day to pay extra to get in to the football" then you've lost the argument in my view. 

No it quite obviously isn't irrelevant.  If you are willing to pay £80 for the activties around the football but baulk at paying £30 for the main event then quite clearly your argument is empty to begin with.  If your budget is fixed then you adjust to accomodate it, you don't normally give up entirely for the sake of 10%.

3 hours ago, strichener said:

No it quite obviously isn't irrelevant.  If you are willing to pay £80 for the activties around the football but baulk at paying £30 for the main event then quite clearly your argument is empty to begin with.  If your budget is fixed then you adjust to accomodate it, you don't normally give up entirely for the sake of 10%.

It doesnt need to be a £15 increase from season to season to realise it's no longer value for money. Everybody has their tipping point. If you have a budget of £80, are you suggesting any price under that is fair game because well, it's within your budget? If so, you're entirely the mug that clubs love. 

A day at the football is much more than just the 90 minutes for a lot of folk. It's meeting your mates for a few pints, a bit of lunch, putting a coupon on. All of those things, and more, make a good day at the football. If people are having to sacrifice some of that because the clubs decide to stick a few quid on the ticket price each season, it's no surprise to see  many chucking the football and spending their hard earned on a few beers with mates in a pub. Thats the adjustment being made here and I think we're beyond the point of getting a lot of folk back.  

£29 for us at Ibrox weekend. That, coupled the Armed Forces Day pish the **** pull at the this time of year means it’s a no from me.

Anything beyond £25 is poor fare, and even at that, £25 at our bit to watch Livingston vs Hamilton isn’t going to entice the casual fan along.

The main argument for clubs of our size, who do rely a fair bit on actual gate receipts from game to game is that, is that the price is maximising what you’re likely to bring in. The fundamental issue in all this pricing debate is that football clubs don’t have a clue about their customer base and don’t seem to make much effort, if any, to either try to research this in any great detail, or innovate.

On 10/09/2019 at 19:44, Mr. X said:

I witnessed the same happening with Hearts fans.

Celtic really were the most tight-fisted scummy club back then. Treated visiting fans like shite. 

I haven't been back for years so I've no idea if they are any better now.

Celtic Park was absolutely shocking for away fans when I was going regularly. I've not been there since 2010 so can't comment on what it's like now, but every visit seemed to bring some new farce.

• My brother got chinned by some Celtic-supporting ned out of the blue when we were standing waiting for tickets outside. Copper yards away watched and did hee haw.
  • Arrived to find my seat did not exist. Then threatened (unbelievably aggressively) with ejection unless I sat down. Remarkable.
  • Nearly chucked out at half time once after going for a pish. Walked out of the toilet to find the police had encircled the area outside the toilets and were shepherding a bunch of us out. Absolutely no idea why and my attempts to enquire as to why I was being chucked out, seemingly completely at random, were just met with a shove in the chest and a volley of abuse from a copper. Escaped when some mental case ran head-first into a copper and they all went for him. I just ran upstairs and back to my seat.
  • Old guy sitting in the row in front of me with his wife (when I say old guy, I mean retired, possibly mid-seventies) being dragged out by the head (by the fucking head) by a steward. This led to loads of supporters around, me included, intervening to stop this lunatic attacking a pensioner. The police then appeared and started arresting people. Somehow I was spared.
  • As Hearts went 3-0 down in a 5-0 defeat (I think in 2007) I put my arm on my mate's shoulder and said "f**k's sake", as one does in these situations. Steward walking down the aisle at the time stops and says "What did you just say?". Returns with another steward a minute later and asks me to leave. I am utterly baffled by this. Steward returns with a copper who, to his credit, seemed a bit confused about it all himself. Stewards are now insisting the copper chucks me out. While this is going on Celtic score a fourth and me and my mate head voluntarily to The Horseshoe.

All of these things happened in the 21st century. I must have paid a lot of money over the years for these experiences.

No doubt any Hearts fans who were there will remember our 2-1 defeat at Celtic Park in autumn 2006. This was the day the stewards and police were seemingly ejecting Hearts supporters at random, including one guy next to me who had the temerity to complain, with blood running down one side of his face, that no action was being taken against the clearly visible Celtic fan who had just hit him with a coin. This was the day that David McLetchie was in the crowd and ended up marching down to the front and having a right go at the copper in charge, at which point things calmed down a bit. It was absolutely scandalous. It was on this day that the steward tried to drag the old guy in front of me out by the head. Astonishing stuff. Absolutely no idea what was going on. The old guy and his wife were just sitting there.

Anyway, in the fallout from that match Hearts made an approach to Celtic complaining about what had gone on and a mate of mine who worked for Hearts at the time was party to the communications between the clubs. Basically, Celtic didn't give a shit and more or less said they'd rather just not have any away supporters. It was Hearts' opinion that Celtic were happy with a situation that would cut down the number of travelling fans.

Interestingly, this was in the era when Hearts first cut the Old Firm's allocation at Tynecastle. Rangers fought the cut in their away allocation and tried to negotiate with Hearts. Celtic, again, didn't give a shit and were completely indifferent as to how many tickets Hearts gave them.

A bit off-topic, perhaps, but an insight into Celtic's view of their own and other away supports.

Edited by JTS98

Having had many an experience in Glasgow when visiting Ibrox/Parkhead and having spoke with my many Hearts/Hibs friends and family I came to the conclusion many years ago that Strathclyde police don't like you capital dwellers.

For all they're c***s to us Falkirk fans it's half as bad as they are to you guys

Celtic Park was absolutely shocking for away fans when I was going regularly. I've not been there since 2010 so can't comment on what it's like now, but every visit seemed to bring some new farce.
  • My brother got chinned by some Celtic-supporting ned out of the blue when we were standing waiting for tickets outside. Copper yards away watched and did hee haw.
  • Arrived to find my seat did not exist. Then threatened (unbelievably aggressively) with ejection unless I sat down. Remarkable.
  • Nearly chucked out at half time once after going for a pish. Walked out of the toilet to find the police had encircled the area outside the toilets and were shepherding a bunch of us out. Absolutely no idea why and my attempts to enquire as to why I was being chucked out, seemingly completely at random, were just met with a shove in the chest and a volley of abuse from a copper. Escaped when some mental case ran head-first into a copper and they all went for him. I just ran upstairs and back to my seat.
  • Old guy sitting in the row in front of me with his wife (when I say old guy, I mean retired, possibly mid-seventies) being dragged out by the head (by the fucking head) by a steward. This led to loads of supporters around, me included, intervening to stop this lunatic attacking a pensioner. The police then appeared and started arresting people. Somehow I was spared.
  • As Hearts went 3-0 down in a 5-0 defeat (I think in 2007) I put my arm on my mate's shoulder and said "f**k's sake", as one does in these situations. Steward walking down the aisle at the time stops and says "What did you just say?". Returns with another steward a minute later and asks me to leave. I am utterly baffled by this. Steward returns with a copper who, to his credit, seemed a bit confused about it all himself. Stewards are now insisting the copper chucks me out. While this is going on Celtic score a fourth and me and my mate head voluntarily to The Horseshoe.
All of these things happened in the 21st century. I must have paid a lot of money over the years for these experiences.
No doubt any Hearts fans who were there will remember our 2-1 defeat at Celtic Park in autumn 2006. This was the day the stewards and police were seemingly ejecting Hearts supporters at random, including one guy next to me who had the temerity to complain, with blood running down one side of his face, that no action was being taken against the clearly visible Celtic fan who had just hit him with a coin. This was the day that David McLetchie was in the crowd and ended up marching down to the front and having a right go at the copper in charge, at which point things calmed down a bit. It was absolutely scandalous. It was on this day that the steward tried to drag the old guy in front of me out by the head. Astonishing stuff. Absolutely no idea what was going on. The old guy and his wife were just sitting there.
Anyway, in the fallout from that match Hearts made an approach to Celtic complaining about what had gone on and a mate of mine who worked for Hearts at the time was party to the communications between the clubs. Basically, Celtic didn't give a shit and more or less said they'd rather just not have any away supporters. It was Hearts' opinion that Celtic were happy with a situation that would cut down the number of travelling fans.
Interestingly, this was in the era when Hearts first cut the Old Firm's allocation at Tynecastle. Rangers fought the cut in their away allocation and tried to negotiate with Hearts. Celtic, again, didn't give a shit and were completely indifferent as to how many tickets Hearts gave them.
A bit off-topic, perhaps, but an insight into Celtic's view of their own and other away supports.

I get the impression that if I ever choose to go back to Celtic Park the safest thing to do would be to sit in the home end and keep quiet

On 13/09/2019 at 16:32, Afro said:

£29 for us at Ibrox weekend. That, coupled the Armed Forces Day pish the **** pull at the this time of year means it’s a no from me.

Anything beyond £25 is poor fare, and even at that, £25 at our bit to watch Livingston vs Hamilton isn’t going to entice the casual fan along.

The main argument for clubs of our size, who do rely a fair bit on actual gate receipts from game to game is that, is that the price is maximising what you’re likely to bring in. The fundamental issue in all this pricing debate is that football clubs don’t have a clue about their customer base and don’t seem to make much effort, if any, to either try to research this in any great detail, or innovate.

That's the part where it is perhaps a bit unfair to target certain clubs. Understand the issue is somewhat forced due to the lack of money we as a league generate, so the fingers can absolutely be pointed at the league for this. However, digging clubs up for the prices will hopefully force the clubs hand a bit to put pressure on the league. We as the week in week out supporters shouldn't be the ones paying the price because those at the top of our game dont have a clue. And clubs need to realise they are putting off the every so often match going supporter to with these costs. 

We started what we hope will be a series of protests/displays throughout the season on Saturday against Hamilton there, and for the most part this has had a positive reaction. The BBC picked it up and saw it as another opportunity to post their report too. We were well aware things like the Hamilton SLO completely missing the point would happen, but we've reached out to him for comment and communication as there was absolutely no "celtic fans demand cheaper tickets" about it, as he well knows. In fact, as ive stated before, Celtic is one of if not the worst experiences for away fans, and they absolutely do not fall foul of criticism and that is hopefully something we can change.

I'm not sure how much of an appetite there will be across all clubs, but it would be great if other clubs fans would also pick this up and run with it. Hopefully see more clubs getting involved as the season goes on.

On 14/09/2019 at 06:51, JTS98 said:

All this pish is the reason we can take 2000 fans to Hamilton but barely 150 can be bothered to endure that shite . The stewards get a wee power trip putting folk out for feck all.  . Fecking vermin the lot of them.  As you say every visit  had you standing there watching some shitfest  unfold in front of you.  I decided to chuck going there after getting pulled out the turnstyle queue for joking about a steward measuring some wee guys flag . when there's. 50ft flags inside. After being informed i was being recorded and threatened with being lifted for breach of the peace , a discussion took place and as the plod was losing the argument i was told to get in the stadium. More shit  ensued inside and i'd  had enough. Never been back and can't see this changing. Was one of my fav away trips at one time.

Edited by Mr Pikey

2 hours ago, Mr Pikey said:

All this pish is the reason we can take 2000 fans to Hamilton but barely 150 can be bothered to endure that shite . The stewards get a wee power trip putting folk out for feck all.  . Fecking vermin the lot of them.  As you say every visit  had you standing there watching some shitfest  unfold in front of you.  I decided to chuck going there after getting pulled out the turnstyle queue for joking about a steward measuring some wee guys flag . when there's. 50ft flags inside. After being informed i was being recorded and threatened with being lifted for breach of the peace , a discussion took place and as the plod was losing the argument i was told to get in the stadium. More shit  ensued inside and i'd  had enough. Never been back and can't see this changing. Was one of my fav away trips at one time.

Yep - despite the fact I usually make it to every away ground at least once in the season and therefore clearly not put off by cost  - I've been at Ibrox twice (playoff and scottish cup) and Celtic Park zero times in the past 10 years (as far as I remember). Celtic park is the worst away day in the top flight for every conceivable reason - the cost/shit view/stewarding combo is unbeatable for a truly joyless day out.

Watching football is meant to be fun, so I make my judgement based on that - so £29 is something that I (regretfully) paid at Tynecastle as it's a good trip and a good place to watch a game - I wouldn't go to Parkhead if it was priced at £5.

2 hours ago, Tartantony said:

Am I the only person who doesn’t have an issue with prices? £20 - £30 is pretty reasonable for a ticket for a Premiership match. The prices haven’t went up much in the last 20 years to be fair

If it was £20 then that would be "fine" by most folks. This makes you sound a bit daft

8 hours ago, Desp said:

I wouldn't take any notice of that Hamilton SLO. The boy is an absolute helmet. 

I thought he had Celtic leanings to be fair. Think there is a few of them though.

I can cope with Hearts charging me 29 quid if scotrail have a reasonable fare and I'm not being asked for £6 every time I want a pint in Edinburgh city centre before or after the game. Those wee added increases here and there add up and I go to far less away games now with cost of the overall experience being the significant factor in that.

I can cope with Hearts charging me 29 quid if scotrail have a reasonable fare and I'm not being asked for £6 every time I want a pint in Edinburgh city centre before or after the game. Those wee added increases here and there add up and I go to far less away games now with cost of the overall experience being the significant factor in that.

Go to Shandwick's in Charlotte St, £1.80 for a pint.

22 hours ago, BC1888 said:

That's the part where it is perhaps a bit unfair to target certain clubs. Understand the issue is somewhat forced due to the lack of money we as a league generate, so the fingers can absolutely be pointed at the league for this. However, digging clubs up for the prices will hopefully force the clubs hand a bit to put pressure on the league. We as the week in week out supporters shouldn't be the ones paying the price because those at the top of our game dont have a clue. And clubs need to realise they are putting off the every so often match going supporter to with these costs. 

We started what we hope will be a series of protests/displays throughout the season on Saturday against Hamilton there, and for the most part this has had a positive reaction. The BBC picked it up and saw it as another opportunity to post their report too. We were well aware things like the Hamilton SLO completely missing the point would happen, but we've reached out to him for comment and communication as there was absolutely no "celtic fans demand cheaper tickets" about it, as he well knows. In fact, as ive stated before, Celtic is one of if not the worst experiences for away fans, and they absolutely do not fall foul of criticism and that is hopefully something we can change.

I'm not sure how much of an appetite there will be across all clubs, but it would be great if other clubs fans would also pick this up and run with it. Hopefully see more clubs getting involved as the season goes on.

This year we're going to be charging OF fans £30 for a ticket for the first time. Previously it was £27.  Every other match it's £24.

At a recent season ticket holders forum our chairman said that last game at home to Celtic, a match they won in another routine march to the title, 58 seats were wrecked. There were also fixtures pulled off walls. This is apparently a standard occurrence, though it can be more. We don't announce it to the press as, somewhat embarrassingly, we need to maintain good relations with the likes of Celtic, so that we can do deals for players etc.  It took quite a while for Celtic to pay up as well.

So you can consider the £30 to include a c**t tax.

Personally, I'd charge both sets of OF fans £60. If we only sold half as many then fine, stil make the same amount, but with less pish to put up with.

I think Celtic fans should look at why they're charged extra, and maybe sort themselves out before launching some self-righteous campaign.

But I agree, £30 for away fans at Ibrox and Celtic park is far too much. I still go though, for whatever reason.