Scotland v Russia (Match Thread)

George Parr

21 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
Is this newly announced or has this been known about for a while? What excuses will the Teuchters use next?

Considering the first tweet came out yesterday, it looks like they added the extra trains within the last 24 hours. Don't be a fud.

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Marshall

O'Donnell Cooper Mulgrew Robertson 

McGinn McTominay McGregor

Fraser Christie Forrest

Let that front three interchange, Christie can drop deeper if we want a 4 man midfield defensively and it means your midfield is narrow enough that there's space for Robertson to go beyond. Forrest is disciplined tracking back which should allow Robertson a bit more freedom. There's pace in that team and everyone in it is comfortable on the ball.

That would be my choice also, we may not have an out and out striker, however the fact is we don't have any decent strikers available to us as opposed to lots of very good Midfield and attacking wing options who are all more than capable of getting into the positions and scoring goals.

Play to our strengths and forget this "we need a number 9".

Spain of course are a prime example of a team with lots of quality forward thinking Midfielders who very often play without a recognised striker and they seem to do ok..................

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m assuming a lot of this is people not realising they can change the formation (I hope)

I assumed the BBC just took the 11 most picked players and mashed them together into a 442.  Even though it makes no sense tactically.    Like picking a fantasy football team.

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That would be my choice also, we may not have an out and out striker, however the fact is we don't have any decent strikers available to us as opposed to lots of very good Midfield and attacking wing options who are all more than capable of getting into the positions and scoring goals.

Spain of course are a prime example of a team with lots of quality forward thinking Midfielders who very often play without a recognised striker and they seem to do ok..................

Hi Craig - its good to see you still keep an interest in the national side.

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

While I do agree with you that Craig Levein invented the formation that Spain won the world cup with.  I do think it's a bit harsh to say we don't have an out and out striker when one of the most expensive Scottish player ever is an out and out striker.

Just now, Andre Bo said:

Hi Craig - its good to see you still keep an interest in the national side.

Well, you've got to, Tynecastle can be a lonely place when things aren't going your way.

That front six is an absolute mess – people can be so stupid sometimes.

You’re probably right, apparently 308 of them thought that Robertson was surplus to requirements and didn’t pick him!!!
If 442 was the most favoured formation you’ve got to wonder who they put at LB???

Just now, Eric said:

While I do agree with you that Craig Levein invented the formation that Spain won the world cup with.  I do think it's a bit harsh to say we don't have an out and out striker when one of the most expensive Scottish player ever is an out and out striker.

If you're referring to McBurnie, he could have cost a billion trillion squillion (maybe after the next sky deal), however that doesn't mean he's any good.

2 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

You’re probably right, apparently 308 of them thought that Robertson was surplus to requirements and didn’t pick him!!!
If 442 was the most favoured formation you’ve got to wonder who they put at LB???

I'm not strictly for or against 4-4-2, but idiots tend to be very dogmatic about it.

Most of the team picks itself tonight except central midfield and striker.  John McGinn will not play as one of the deeper lying midfielders. Not good enough in that position and much better in the advanced position for Villa. I can only see either him or Christie and not both.

Marshall

O'Donnell Mulgrew Cooper Robertson

McGregor McLean or McTominay

McGinn or Christie

Forrest Phillips or McBurnie Fraser

Couple of positions I am unsure who he will go with. 

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If you're referring to McBurnie, he could have cost a billion trillion squillion (maybe after the next sky deal), however that doesn't mean he's any good.

I was indeed referring to him.   Fair enough he has been shite for Scotland under McLeish but I'm willing to give him another chance now that we have a proper manager in.   He has looked decent for Sheffield United when I've seen him.  

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I was indeed referring to him.   Fair enough he has been shite for Scotland under McLeish but I'm willing to give him another chance now that we have a proper manager in.   He has looked decent for Sheffield United when I've seen him.  

I just don't rate him although someone must see something in him.

In fairness I think he would do well for a team like the Rep of Ireland, however I'm not sure that our style plays to his strengths. Also, thinking about our last match with Brophy up top, the boy did absolutely nothing wrong, however was completely anonymous just by the way Scotland play and the players at our disposal and I believe it would be a similar story with McBurnie.

21 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I just don't rate him although someone must see something in him.

In fairness I think he would do well for a team like the Rep of Ireland, however I'm not sure that our style plays to his strengths. Also, thinking about our last match with Brophy up top, the boy did absolutely nothing wrong, however was completely anonymous just by the way Scotland play and the players at our disposal and I believe it would be a similar story with McBurnie.

His biggest strength is getting on the end of crosses. With Fraser and Robertson supplying him, he should do just fine. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Bojangles said:

His biggest strength is getting on the end of crosses. With Fraser and Robertson supplying him, he should do just fine. 

Scotland don't tend to throw the ball in though, we tend to play the pass and move game with ball into feet and that includes the wingers, they also like to cut inside and have a shot themselves as opposed to hitting the byline and curling a ball in for a big Joe Jordan type to come hurling in.

Who knows, maybe we SHOULD mix it up a bit as while not great to watch, it did work for Ireland last night against a vastly technically superior opponent in Switzerland.

Frankly, I'm willing to try anything to see us get the 3 points.................

Think it will be a decent performance but will end in a 1-1 draw. Don't think we should be worried about Russia though.

Have to say, I don't think I've ever been less excited about an important qualifier. Maybe it's because we already have the play-off place secured?

Would doubt we'd play Finland at this rate though; they look good to qualify automatically the way they're going.

7 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Think it will be a decent performance but will end in a 1-1 draw. Don't think we should be worried about Russia though.

Have to say, I don't think I've ever been less excited about an important qualifier. Maybe it's because we already have the play-off place secured?

Would doubt we'd play Finland at this rate though; they look good to qualify automatically the way they're going.

Plus Teemu Pukki would score about 8 over the 2 legs.

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Depending on how far you're willing to walk at the other side, Armstrongs or the Church on the Hill are good shouts. If you're early then The Clockwork is decent.

Loads of pubs slightly further west on Pollokshaws Road that should be a bit quieter.

Can always jump on a train from Queen's Park to Mount Florida, too. 

Allison Arms and Heraghty's are both good and within two minutes of Queen's Park. About a 25-minute walk to Hampden from there.

41 minutes ago, Darren said:

Loads of pubs slightly further west on Pollokshaws Road that should be a bit quieter.

Can always jump on a train from Queen's Park to Mount Florida, too. 

Allison Arms and Heraghty's are both good and within two minutes of Queen's Park. About a 25-minute walk to Hampden from there.

Be as well going to The Horseshoe in that case 🤭