Scotland v Russia (Match Thread)

George Parr

Generally on the game though, apart from the wee mouse, I thought we shaded the first half, but more because Russia seemed to have fallen asleep. We dropped off massively after that good 20 minutes, and it took an Andy Robertson assist for them to do anything. The moment they came out in the second half though, you saw several more gears they had to move into that we just didn't. Too many players who are likely the best option we have, but are woefully short of the quality needed. It shouldn't be that way, as I believe worse teams went to the last Euros, but we seem incapable of finding that "sum of their parts" attitude. If we have any sum, the answers a negative number. Even when Russia were half asleep, you could see the crisp passes and the clear gulf in technical ability. What did we have when we were on top? GERRINTAETHUM! Just running. I'm all for playing to our strengths, but maybe we need to look a bit harder. 

And then the fans, the usual heady mix of sheer bloody-minded screaming negativity from minute 1 even when things were going alright, and then clapping the players at full time when they actually deserved being ignored. We have the team a lot of us deserve. 

See you all in March. 

As depressing a read as I thought it would be.

It has been clear for years that those that run the game at the grass roots / development / coaching levels have not been doing their jobs. Whilst no doubt being well paid...............

A lot of smaller nations seem to be able to produce decent teams....................Wales,  Ireland, N Ireland, Iceland, Croatia etc etc......................................why the f**k can't we?????

You'd have to pay me pretty handsomely before I'd even consider turning up to watch Scotland.

52 minutes ago, monthefife said:
1 hour ago, Slenderman said:
Problem with McBurnie is that he doesn't have the situational awareness when to head it down to a teammate, or chest it down.

The problem with McBurnie is that he is mince. End of.

Don't think you know constructive criticism.

10 minutes ago, DunblaneICT said:

As depressing a read as I thought it would be.

It has been clear for years that those that run the game at the grass roots / development / coaching levels have not been doing their jobs. Whilst no doubt being well paid...............

A lot of smaller nations seem to be able to produce decent teams....................Wales,  Ireland, N Ireland, Iceland, Croatia etc etc......................................why the f**k can't we?????

You'd have to pay me pretty handsomely before I'd even consider turning up to watch Scotland.

Because we don't coach any of our players properly

We think we can still coach kids at getting stuck in. The entire sport has moved on and we haven't

And we love it and have no desire to change

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

This marks you as the worst kind of diddy.  The bloke had a good finish to last season and a good start to this against European oppositions.

Still, he'd have been booed by the very worst sort of Scotland fan.

I watched him against Celtic and he was posted missing. He's not any better than what we have

Just got home and read about 10 pages of this thread before caving into the rage after some of the utter drivel thats been said. Sorry rant incoming :( 

Russia were here for the taking, hands down, they were not a good as everyone (including myself btw) thought they were, but like Clarke and McGinn said in their post match interviews, we were great first 10/15 min, scored, then SHAT ourselves, dropped deep and LET THEM HAVE THE BALL. 

That's why they looked half decent, because we let them have the ball, and that was the story from the first Scotland Goal until the (80th maybe?) minute.

Pass marks to Marshall, Mulgrew, and Christie. Thought Marshalls saves were absolutely brilliant, Mulgrew was the only one who took the ball forward from the back and had some goal saving blocks/tackles. Christie. My word where do I start, he was the only one who took the ball and was POSITIVE. Yes he lost the ball once or twice but he was wanting it constantly and was constantly turning to face the Russian goal and play forward, something we were crying out for since we scored. 

McGregor, McBurnie and (as a Liverpool fan it pains me to say) Robbo were WOEFUL, imo. O'Donnell was pretty poor aswell. Forest wasn't involved at all but I've always seen him as a game changer and we need to give him the ball more.

Also, how in the world are these lads professional footballers if only Christie can put a decent whipped ball into the box? Rather than this floated, hanging in the air shite crosses which the Russian CB or keeper caught every time? Corners, free kicks, and crosses were dreadful.

And don't get me started on those substitutes by Clarke. If that was McLeish or Strachan, everyone would be fuming. 

Rant Over 😂

18 minutes ago, munro7 said:

New manager, same old shitebag mentality. Go one up playing reasonably well and immediately sit everyone behind the ball and invite pressure. Carry on like that even after conceding an equaliser and only start playing again when we’re behind.
Christie showed why he absolutely has to start. f**k only knows how McTominay got man of the match, genuinely baffled at that.

We had a man of the match 😮

Also too many Scotland fans seem to think that "all that matters is we get a solid 11 for the playoffs" and think it will be tough but we will pull through the playoffs. 

It will be a fucking excellent achievement if we get through the playoffs. Based on the current group standing and our current potential opponents, we are MILES off the pace IMO. 

We made Russia look like world-beaters tonight. We seem to be good at that.

Anyway, not going to comment on what Clarke could have done to change the result, as it’s absolutely pointless. We are shite, absolutely shite, and, if it wasn’t for Marshall being a competent footballer, it could have been 4 or 5.
Be as well giving a few fringe player’s a run out on Monday to see how well they do.

Just now, Fraser Fyvie said:

Clarke already looking like a terrible appointment. Get someone else in and prepare for the World Cup

And when they fail, get someone else in and prepare for the Euros. 

Nothing will change with another managerial appointment. 

Generally on the game though, apart from the wee mouse, I thought we shaded the first half, but more because Russia seemed to have fallen asleep. We dropped off massively after that good 20 minutes, and it took an Andy Robertson assist for them to do anything. The moment they came out in the second half though, you saw several more gears they had to move into that we just didn't. Too many players who are likely the best option we have, but are woefully short of the quality needed. It shouldn't be that way, as I believe worse teams went to the last Euros, but we seem incapable of finding that "sum of their parts" attitude. If we have any sum, the answers a negative number. Even when Russia were half asleep, you could see the crisp passes and the clear gulf in technical ability. What did we have when we were on top? GERRINTAETHUM! Just running. I'm all for playing to our strengths, but maybe we need to look a bit harder. 
And then the fans, the usual heady mix of sheer bloody-minded screaming negativity from minute 1 even when things were going alright, and then clapping the players at full time when they actually deserved being ignored. We have the team a lot of us deserve. 
See you all in March. 

Clapping at end really bugged me

Marshall - 7 - sharp and vital in keeping the score down
Robertson - 4 - really poor by his own standards
Mulgrew - 5 - rarely looked in control
Cooper - 1 - absolutely atrocious, rabbit in the headlights, as I feared
O'Donnell - 4 - a few clever fouls drawn, but nothing more
McTominay - 4 - no signs of the composure and leadership seen at Man U this season
McGinn - 6 - good positioning for the goal but not much else
McGregor - 3 - might be because I was steaming but can't remember a thing from him
Fraser - 4 - totally off it. Just didn't look EPL quality. None of the velcro touch and powerful drives we're used to seeing on MOTD
Forrest - 3 - anonymous
McBurnie - 5 - a few good flashes and a bit of a pest for our goal, but we need much, much more from a lone Scotland striker in a team this poor

Bah f*cking humbug.

Just back home after that utter shambles. I don't remember ever being so raging after a Scotland game, that mob were shite and we made them look like world beaters. I've not bothered reading the rest of the thread so have no idea how it looked on tv but I'm going all out rant before I go to my bed.

First 10 mins, superb, pressing high, winning the ball, causing all sorts of problems and get the early goal. Let's push on and get another. Nah, another shitebag manager drops us back 30 yards and lets them have the ball. What is it with our mentality? We can't fucking defend and actually have a good attacking midfield, use it man.

I'm assuming no-one has said it yet because he's untouchable, but the "world class" Robbo was fucking terrible, utter shite once again in a Scotland shirt. Can't defend, can't pass the baw 10 yards, can't cross and whatever the f**k he was trying to do at that first goal I'll never know. Just clear the thing, don't volley it back across your own box ya daft clown.

McBurnie is atrocious, utterly hopeless, and anyone claiming he should get a game purely because he plays in that shitehole of a league down there can go f**k themselves.

McTominay, another one from that league. Utter pish, does f**k all and he looks like a big fucking Ivan Drago Russian so he can go f**k himself as well.

Poor O'Donnell is out of his depth but we have hee haw better than the lad. He's really bad though.

McGregor, McGinn were pish again and the 2 wee c***s out wide can't do much if no-one gives them a chance to get involved.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually thought the 2 centre halves were brilliant, best two players on the park behind Marshall who stopped it from being 4 or 5.

Just get the whole lot of them in the bin and withdraw from football altogether, I'm sick of this shite and going nowhere near the place on Monday.

I'm away for a lie down.

Just back from the game. I actually didn’t think we were awful, just a combination of Russia being a very good side and some of our players making some awful mistakes.

I feel a bit sorry for O’Donnell, he’s not the best but at present he’s all we have in that position. He did do a lot of stuff well but ultimately still had a bad game.

The main issue is that really, we are just limited as a team. There’s no lacking effort, or organisation, we are just lacking some players with more ability I.e we need better strikers and defenders.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

Marshall - 7 - sharp and vital in keeping the score down
Robertson - 4 - really poor by his own standards
Mulgrew - 5 - rarely looked in control
Cooper - 1 - absolutely atrocious, rabbit in the headlights, as I feared
O'Donnell - 4 - a few clever fouls drawn, but nothing more
McTominay - 4 - no signs of the composure and leadership seen at Man U this season
McGinn - 6 - good positioning for the goal but not much else
McGregor - 3 - might be because I was steaming but can't remember a thing from him
Fraser - 4 - totally off it. Just didn't look EPL quality. None of the velcro touch and powerful drives we're used to seeing on MOTD
Forrest - 3 - anonymous
McBurnie - 5 - a few good flashes and a bit of a pest for our goal, but we need much, much more from a lone Scotland striker in a team this poor

Bah f*cking humbug.

I would agree with most here, but Cooper Forrest and Fraser. (and later McBurnie)

Cooper I thought was ok, better than a 1 anyway, 4/5 IMO. He didn't deal well with the big Russian CF but I think him and (based on tonights performance) Mulgrew are  our best CBs. I thought tonight they were MASSIVELY let down by both full backs and McTominay., who allowed Russian players to play in behind them and run at Mulgrew and Cooper. 

Fraser and Forrest are our two best players (in this team) imo. Our goal should be to get them 1 v 1 against full backs. Quite simply that didn't happen tonight because 

a) they didn't get good enough service, IE at times players behind them should have fired a low passes to their feet rather than going to O'Donnell and Robbo first 

b) Because we had no good attacking CMs ready to exploit the space left when Russia doubled up on them both.

Other than that I would agree probably. Though, now thinking about it McBurnie should be a 3. He was SO static with is movement it really hurt us.