Scotland v Russia (Match Thread)

George Parr

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm assuming it was a tactical decision, so I'm not blaming Mulgrew and Cooper for this, but every time Russia won the ball we would immediately retreat (initiated by Mulgrew) often to well inside our own penalty box. This meant no pressure was put on Russia when attacking, and that their giant of a striker was constantly in our penalty box. Our back 4 defensively are dreadful, it is suicidal to invite teams onto us by retreating and then hope to hit on the break. The only way this team have any chance is to engage far higher up the pitch and stop teams getting anywhere near our penalty box, because once they do we are screwed. Even when their attack broke down it meant we couldn't counter because McBurnie was so isolated. 

The majority of our players are a mile off the standard required, but even given that I think Clarke had the wrong tactics tonight.

Thank f**k somebody else saw it. Dont tell random guy we were too deep

1 minute ago, Louis Litt said:

Whenever one of the older guys in my work re-asks me and struggles to fathom why I care more about my club than my country I'll just have them watch that second half. No wonder folk are flocking to Murrayfield.

No real football fan would EVER watch rugby. 

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm assuming it was a tactical decision, so I'm not blaming Mulgrew and Cooper for this, but every time Russia won the ball we would immediately retreat (initiated by Mulgrew) often to well inside our own penalty box. This meant no pressure was put on Russia when attacking, and that their giant of a striker was constantly in our penalty box. Our back 4 defensively are dreadful, it is suicidal to invite teams onto us by retreating and then hope to hit on the break. The only way this team have any chance is to engage far higher up the pitch and stop teams getting anywhere near our penalty box, because once they do we are screwed. Even when their attack broke down it meant we couldn't counter because McBurnie was so isolated. 

The majority of our players are a mile off the standard required, but even given that I think Clarke had the wrong tactics tonight.

I don't think that's tactics. Every Scotland side has done this for as long as I can remember. It's shitebaggery pure and simple.

You heard Robertson, it's about bravery and pushing yourself forward. They didn't do it tonight and it's because they were feart.

I've always thought it was to do with a lack of pace but they were up against a big lump of wood up front and still sat right off them

The biggest concern for me is the players we know have good quality, but just haven't produced nearly enough for Scotland in big moments - Robertson, Fraser, Forrest and McGregor, to name four who started tonight, are all very capable players, but they are far too often underwhelming for Scotland. We needed our best players to step up and be counted when the going got tough, and it just wasn't forthcoming. 

O'Donnell, for example, was garbage, but I find it hard to be too annoyed at him because deep down I already know he isn't good enough to be there anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Whenever one of the older guys in my work re-asks me and struggles to fathom why I care more about my club than my country I'll just have them watch that second half. No wonder folk are flocking to Murrayfield.

They can beat Georgia at home, and away, too...

26 minutes ago, monthefife said:

Are there people on this forum actually jumping in defence of Oli McBurnie?!?!

McBurney will get a lot of shit tonight - with some justification, because he was of no use to man or beast - but being in the ground and seeing just how isolated he was, you had to feel a bit sorry for him.

He was trying hard, but there was just no-one fucking near him for the whole time between our goal and the substitutions. For basically an hour, people were just punting the ball up to him against four defenders, and seemingly expecting him to trap the ball on his eyebrows and then score a Maradona. The rest of the team was way, way too deep until it was much too late. Obviously Clarke is the best candidate, needs time, etc, etc, etc, but he really should have changed things at half-time whilst we were still in the game.

I'm not a fan and I'd start personally start Snodgrass on Monday, but it's not fair to pick out McBurney as the main reason we lost that.

18 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

McKenna not even anywhere near Hampden and still getting a slagging from Scottish “Supporters”.

He must be half decent for Aberdeen or Championship clubs wouldn’t be bidding for him. I’ve never liked the look of him for Scotland yet but it’s early days, just like it is for Cooper and Palmer.

Stevie Clarke has zero European experience as a manager before getting this job. Getting kilmarnock to 3rd in a poor Scottish league shouldn't mean he is some kind of messiah.

This was always going to be a big gamble giving him the job. Listening to him after the game he sounds clueless in improving the team going forward.

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fucking hell.

You're raging that Mulgrew, who is on the pitch, is taking free kicks ahead of Griffiths, who is sitting on his couch?

FWIW Mulgrew has scored far, far more free kicks than Griffiths in his career. I think Griffiths' career tally sits at about 4.

He's scored two already this season, his tally is no where near 4. 

2 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Genuinely don't see what mcburnie could have done better there. You'd have to be a moron to single him out over anyone

This is true, he was far from the worst out there. Problem is, this was one of his better games for Scotland.

He (like a few others) is not good enough for this level.

2 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

What is clear now, is that all focus must be on the Nations cup play off games. Every game from now until then should be used to find the right system and tactics for those ties.

Seconded. We need midfielders who can support the striker as well