Scotland v Russia (Match Thread)

George Parr

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Fucking hell.

You're raging that Mulgrew, who is on the pitch, is taking free kicks ahead of Griffiths, who is sitting on his couch?

FWIW Mulgrew has scored far, far more free kicks than Griffiths in his career. I think Griffiths' career tally sits at about 4.

Mulgrew is shite, he should be nowhere near that team.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fucking hell.

You're raging that Mulgrew, who is on the pitch, is taking free kicks ahead of Griffiths, who is sitting on his couch?

FWIW Mulgrew has scored far, far more free kicks than Griffiths in his career. I think Griffiths' career tally sits at about 4.

You left out the conversion rate and stats Mr pep guardiola........

A 33yr old free kick taker should have scored more in his 500 odd games but You said you had stats get them out conversion rates as well ya moon howler

5 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

We are an absolute minter of a National team.

Have a look at Group C, Northern Ireland top of their Group, with a mediocre gang of players, 3 points ahead of Germany and 6 points ahead of The Netherlands.

They have a manager who is able to get the best out of these mediocre players though.

North Ireland haven’t played Germany or The Netherlands yet. Let’s see how good they are after those 4 games. 

Even still, they have a brilliant manager I’ll agree.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fucking hell.

To add. Mulgrew has 24 club free kick goals.

Griffiths has 10.

Just now, johnnydun said:

Mulgrew is shite, he should be nowhere near that team.

Pish. Mulgrew is our best CB. It's just same tired pish of folk gunning for someone who's been around for a while, same as what happened to Hutton. When Mulgrew is gone and we're left with absolute cloggers blootering the ball out for goal kicks or throw ins every few minutes you'll learn.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fucking hell.

I would also guess that the decision not to pick Griffiths may relate to the players wellbeing as much as anything. Maybe Griffiths doesn’t feel ready.

1 minute ago, kenny131 said:

You left out the conversion rate and stats Mr pep guardiola........

A 33yr old free kick taker should have scored more in his 500 odd games but You said you had stats get them out conversion rates as well ya moon howler

Mulgrew has more than double the amount of free kick goals (24 v 10) in his club career.

Again, not that it's relevant, as you claimed Mulgrew shouldn't be taking the free kicks tonight whilst in the knowledge Griffiths wasnt on the park. 

So who do you think shouldve been taking the free kicks?

24 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I know some will come back with the "but who else is there?" response - but we've been obsessed with playing players from lower end EPL and Championship teams for years.

We need to play players who are in firm and fit our system - not just because of the league they are in.

Still shudder to think that £20 million was paid for McBurnie - the world has clearly gone mad.

But then this is the league that thinks Marcus Rashford is worth £100m +.

Having the Leeds captain (top end Championship) seems a good option on paper. Why call up the likes of him and Palmer and then panic and drop them when things don’t go swimmingly.  In terms of centre backs it’s a position we are weak at. We need to find a pair who can work together.

All things considered I wouldn’t mind top end Championship players over SOD at Killie and McKenna at Aberdeen. I’m not against Scottish Premiership players either really, but English Championship seems a decent level too. 

Need to persevere with players picked and try and form a team and squad in time for the play-offs and then the WC qualifiers.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

To add. Mulgrew has 24 club free kick goals.

Griffiths has 10.

Pish. Mulgrew is our best CB. It's just same tired pish of folk gunning for someone who's been around for a while, same as what happened to Hutton. When Mulgrew is gone and we're left with absolute cloggers blootering the ball out for goal kicks or throw ins every few minutes you'll learn.

As opposed to what? Not being able to defend?

In my time of watching lower league Scottish football, I have watched more useless lumps than I can count trying to play like a Sutton brother. If they have a bit of talent for their level they can be like Chris and bring the ball down on their chest, back into the centre back, draw a foul. If they don’t, they can always be John, just be an absolute big b*****d battering people with their elbows and somehow getting away with it.

I have seen many centre forwards who’ve tried to do these things to varying degrees of effectiveness, from a solid thrid tier lump of shithouse like Michael Moore who could fight his way to double figures every season, to utter wastes of a shirt who should never have been allowed near a professional football team like Kevin Kelbie.

Over all those years, in all those horrific teams across many levels, I have never seen a centre forward so obviously devoid of any kind of positive footballing attribute, so clearly miles out of his depth on a pitch, as Oli fucking McBurnie.

Get him launched into the fucking sun.

Just now, johnnydun said:

As opposed to what? Not being able to defend?

How many goals were his fault like? 

Cooper gets dragged out of position for the first, then O'Donnell is trying to hide for the second.

18 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
27 minutes ago, drs said:
So...to qualify for a tournament that is playing 4 games at Hampden we're probably going to have to go to Belgrade in the Nations League Final and win there.
Piece of piss.
And thank feck I'm working on Monday night.

They mentioned on the radio that since the McFadden game in Paris, we have won a grand total of 3 away Euro Qualifying games - in Cyprus this time out, in Liechtenstein and in Gibraltar. Think the guys who bought Hampden Euro 2020 tickets will be selling them on at this rate.

In the last 12 years we've only won 9 competitive away games full stop: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Croatia, FYR Macedonia, Gibraltar, Malta, Lithuania, Albania and San Marino. Basically that 1-0 in Zagreb back in June 2013 has been our only 'decent' away win in over a decade.

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

North Ireland haven’t played Germany or The Netherlands yet. Let’s see how good they are after those 4 games. 

Even still, they have a brilliant manager I’ll agree.

Of course, they'll do well to get something from those games.