Scotland v Russia (Match Thread)

George Parr

1 minute ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

This is true, he was far from the worst out there. Problem is, this was one of his better games for Scotland.

He (like a few others) is not good enough for this level.

Does that include our overrated midfielders ?

7 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Genuinely don't see what mcburnie could have done better there. You'd have to be a moron to single him out over anyone

For starters he could have shaved, disgraceful representing your country like that.

Strange to use Rashford as the example with all the ones you could pick in that league, I don’t remember ever seeing Man Utd (or anyone else) valuing Rashford at £100m. Maybe I’ve missed something.
For McBurnie I think the manager does get affected by price tags a lot. We do too. If we had drawn 0-0 tonight without McBurnie I would guess the majority of comments on here would be around the manager not using a £20m striker.
Various new articles last season when Real Madrid are sniffing about.

My mistake -some morons think he is worth £200m.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1067004/Man-Utd-transfer-news-LIVE-Chelsea-Aston-Villa-Rashford-Pochettino-Bailly-Solskjaer

21 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

The biggest concern for me is the players we know have good quality, but just haven't produced nearly enough for Scotland in big moments - Robertson, Fraser, Forrest and McGregor, to name four who started tonight, are all very capable players, but they are far too often underwhelming for Scotland. We needed our best players to step up and be counted when the going got tough, and it just 

Our players cannot do the basics sometimes eg play one twos properly

1 minute ago, MarkoRaj said:

Ryan Jack was the exact kind of shitebag 

This marks you as the worst kind of diddy.  The bloke had a good finish to last season and a good start to this against European oppositions.

Still, he'd have been booed by the very worst sort of Scotland fan.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Scotland would have been better with the inclusion of Ryan Jack.

Jack would have made little difference tonight, although there's certainly a case for his inclusion at right back over O'Donnell.

He may get his chance against Belgium, but the midfield 3 were in on merit tonight.

We didnt play well tonight, but lets not over react. Here's my view:

Marshall - some great saves. Solid keeper. 8

O'Donnell - clearly out his depth at international level. We need Tiernay back asap, or someone to push through youth level at right back. 4

Mulgrew - i'm not a Mulgrew fan, but he was okay tonight. Nothing great. Nothing shit. Took a bit of responsibility in the final few minutes on the ball. 6

Cooper - should have debuted ages ago. I quite liked the look of him against a tough opponent. 6

Robertson - doesnt do the things he does well for Liverpool in a Scotland shirt. Sloppy in possession. Wasnt given space to run into. 5

McTominay - like him as a player. Sloppy now and again but there far too much room between him and the rest of the midfield, not his fault. 6

McGregor - i'm a big fan, but he was awful tonight. 4

McGinn - goal apart, he was anonymous. Far too far forward whenever we had the ball, didnt get involved in play. Complete passenger. 5

Forrest - didnt receive the ball anywhere near enough. Didnt get into the game. 5

Fraser - most threatening attacking player, just didnt get involved enough. Worked hard as well. 6

McBurnie - thought he did okay considering the service he was given. Worked hard. Doesnt look much of a goal threat but i find it hard to criticise him tonight. 5

Of the subs, Ryan Christie looked great. Needa to start Monday.

Stevie Clarke has zero European experience as a manager before getting this job. Getting kilmarnock to 3rd in a poor Scottish league shouldn't mean he is some kind of messiah.

This was always going to be a big gamble giving him the job. Listening to him after the game he sounds clueless in improving the team going forward.

He's managed three games after taking over a team mid campaign that lost 4-0 to Kazakhstan. A win V Cyprus and then defeats to the world no 1 and a narrow loss to a Russia side who did well at the World Cup last year.

There's not really much I think he could really sincerely say unless he wants to walk into the delusions of rambling on about 'building a system' that we've had for years.

People are going OTT analysing every small decision he's making like there's a perfect solution when these problems have been here for years and he's just in the door.

Stevie Clarke has zero European experience as a manager before getting this job. Getting kilmarnock to 3rd in a poor Scottish league shouldn't mean he is some kind of messiah.

This was always going to be a big gamble giving him the job. Listening to him after the game he sounds clueless in improving the team going forward.
Out of the Scottish managers that we could have got he was by far the best option. Unfortunately It's that obsession - they must be Scottish - and you can blame Berti for this - that means we don't consider someone out with the Scottish game who could look at more fundamental restructuring and development of our game.

It's also the reality that we see the National manager as just that - and not someone who should be driving the root and branch reform of our game.

Because our National Performance Director certainly isn't doing that job.