Scotland v Russia (Match Thread)

George Parr

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mulgrew has more than double the amount of free kick goals (24 v 10) in his club career.

Again, not that it's relevant, as you claimed Mulgrew shouldn't be taking the free kicks tonight whilst in the knowledge Griffiths wasnt on the park. 

So who do you think shouldve been taking the free kicks?

24 free kick goals prove it

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

How many goals were his fault like? 

Cooper gets dragged out of position for the first, then O'Donnell is trying to hide for the second.

Did I say that the goals were his fault though? He is too slow and his distribution is shite.

The main problem for me is the glaring lack of international standard players in probably the 2 key areas of the pitch, centre forward and central defence. 

Nothing will change until we get players of sufficient quality in those positions. The rest of the side is ok, there's a number of interchangable, decent players in there, who, when they're playing well, give us a chance of getting a result.

On a night like this, when the rest of the team aren't on it, the need for a decent forward to hold it up and retain the ball and for a centre back pairing to inspire confidence and not look like a bombscare is vital.

1 minute ago, kenny131 said:

24 free kick goals prove it

https://www.transfermarkt.com/charlie-mulgrew/alletore/spieler/37428/plus/0?saison=&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&minute=&pos=&torart=207&stand=

Itll be proved if you can count, which sadly doesnt seem likely.

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

In my time of watching lower league Scottish football, I have watched more useless lumps than I can count trying to play like a Sutton brother. If they have a bit of talent for their level they can be like Chris and bring the ball down on their chest, back into the centre back, draw a foul. If they don’t, they can always be John, just be an absolute big b*****d battering people with their elbows and somehow getting away with it.

I have seen many centre forwards who’ve tried to do these things to varying degrees of effectiveness, from a solid thrid tier lump of shithouse like Michael Moore who could fight his way to double figures every season, to utter wastes of a shirt who should never have been allowed near a professional football team like Kevin Kelbie.

Over all those years, in all those horrific teams across many levels, I have never seen a centre forward so obviously devoid of any kind of positive footballing attribute, so clearly miles out of his depth on a pitch, as Oli fucking McBurnie.

Get him launched into the fucking sun.

Absolute pish

Mcburnie was nowhere near our worst performer

Having the Leeds captain (top end Championship) seems a good option on paper. Why call up the likes of him and Palmer and then panic and drop them when things don’t go swimmingly.  In terms of centre backs it’s a position we are weak at. We need to find a pair who can work together.
All things considered I wouldn’t mind top end Championship players over SOD at Killie and McKenna at Aberdeen. I’m not against Scottish Premiership players either really, but English Championship seems a decent level too. 
Need to persevere with players picked and try and form a team and squad in time for the play-offs and then the WC qualifiers.

McKenna not even anywhere near Hampden and still getting a slagging from Scottish “Supporters”.

Just now, kingjoey said:

The Kazakhstan result will never, ever be worse than we thought.

Can still remember Craig Brown telling everyone they were a force now and others would struggle v them.

Since then I think they've gone down heavily to Russia and Belgium, beaten San Marino (more comfortably than we did granted), and now drawn with Cyprus.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You've said you want the attackers pressing the opposition backline, and you're wanting the game squeezed so theres no gaps between lines for knock downs.

Where, exactly, are you expecting the defenders to be?

Never said I wanted the attackers pressing there backline so stop muttering shite. Said our defence need to be 20 yards up the park. At least.

Guest DAVIDB69

Yes until we get the required standard in central defence consistently and also find forwards who are not non goal scoring forwards we won’t qualify for anything

9 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Fair point, but individually most of them don't stand out. Evans, Davis aside.

Point still stands though, their manager has found a formula & gameplan which works with largely average players.

This. 

This all day fucking long.

Can still remember Craig Brown telling everyone they were a force now and others would struggle v them.

Since then I think they've gone down heavily to Russia and Belgium, beaten San Marino (more comfortably than we did granted), and now drawn with Cyprus.
They only lost 1-0 in Russia. Probs better than we will do

7 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Over all those years, in all those horrific teams across many levels, I have never seen a centre forward so obviously devoid of any kind of positive footballing attribute, so clearly miles out of his depth on a pitch, as Oli fucking McBurnie.

Get him launched into the fucking sun.

Not really sure what he did wrong this evening? Was solid enough in the air when the ball actually went in his general vicinity. 

He had nobody up supporting him, so was unable to bring anybody into the game. 

I don't think he was amazing, but apart from Marshall, he's probably the only other player I'd say was close to pass marks.

I'm assuming it was a tactical decision, so I'm not blaming Mulgrew and Cooper for this, but every time Russia won the ball we would immediately retreat (initiated by Mulgrew) often to well inside our own penalty box. This meant no pressure was put on Russia when attacking, and that their giant of a striker was constantly in our penalty box. Our back 4 defensively are dreadful, it is suicidal to invite teams onto us by retreating and then hope to hit on the break. The only way this team have any chance is to engage far higher up the pitch and stop teams getting anywhere near our penalty box, because once they do we are screwed. Even when their attack broke down it meant we couldn't counter because McBurnie was so isolated. 

The majority of our players are a mile off the standard required, but even given that I think Clarke had the wrong tactics tonight.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever