Inverness v Greenock Morton

TheScarf

Quite enjoyed that nearly melted in that heat but I made it to the FT whistle. Glad to see our fringe players getting a start & proving  points to our management team. Was a comfortable win in the end

Brilliant goal from Todorov the best goal of the day without a doubt. 

Thought Morton were terrible apart from their goal they didn't cause any problems for Cammy Mackay or our back four which had McHattie as a CB.

Looking forward to finding out who we play in the next round please for the love of god let us a play a team that ain't in the same league as us that would be brilliant. 

Pretty embarrassing that a group of tourists from the Czech Republic made more noise & atmosphere then the home fans. The best atmosphere we've had at home in ages & that is saying something 🙈🙈

15 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Sean Welsh is so good he can make a weaker ICT perform. Just put him in with 10 Liam Hughes’ and we’d still win most weeks

Delighted that he is back. We have missed him in midfield hopefully he won't get injured again anytime soon 🤞

Morton we’re giving off some large League 2/LL vibes today. Very Edinburgh City/EK. 

Knew from the of that they would be on the end of a pumping, but just sat back, very narrow, and gave Doran and Storey a field day on the wings. 

Met a boy on the way out I knew and he said it was like a training game. Morton didn’t even try and attack until the 80th minute after we missed a penalty to make it 4-0. 

Presumably the players Morton signed in the week weren’t playing? 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Morton we’re giving off some large League 2/LL vibes today. Very Edinburgh City/EK. 

Knew from the of that they would be on the end of a pumping, but just sat back, very narrow, and gave Doran and Storey a field day on the wings. 

Met a boy on the way out I knew and he said it was like a training game. Morton didn’t even try and attack until the 80th minute after we missed a penalty to make it 4-0. 

Agent Baird was playing.

5 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Who cares? 

Who cares? 

And again - who cares? 

I care- why wouldn’t I care? It’s not as important as any of the other tournaments we enter and I accept a bit of rotation, but let’s not kid ourselves- losing in the first round of this tournament 7 years in a row is embarrassing.

Does acting indifferent make you appear gallus or something?

I know you dislike some of the guys who do care, me included, but that doesn’t really make it right. We’re the biggest club to have appeared in every edition of this tournament and we’ve barely come close to winning it. Regardless of our recent contempt for it, that is an embarrassing state of affairs.

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

They made 7 changes from the last game but I have no idea if that means they put out a fringe team like we did.

The first half especially looked like a training game. They had all 11 men within 10 yards of their own box when we had the ball. The Morton fans were, quite rightly, shouting all sorts at the bench for this and you could hear hopkin respond to that as he immediately started telling players to stay up.

I thought we played much better today that we did in the Friday night game. Controlled the whole game and played some excellent football. No doubt for me that this was down to welsh. So far this season we have looked to have  been overrun in midfield but none of that today. Would have him starting next week without a doubt.

All of the young boys were excellent. I think tremarco is a bit past it now but Harper looks like someone who can step u p. Very impressed with him and hopefully we can slowly get him involved more often.

Special mention to Rooney. He has been brilliant these last 2 games and I hope he keeps it up and this will be the end of brad automatically getting in the team when he is fit.

I am not arsed about this cup in the slightest apart from getting a nice trip abroad but it is encouraging to see that we do actually have some decent depth in the squad now and with welsh coming back hopefully that means we can push on to what has actually been quite a decent start to the season, barring the horrible defensive display at tannadice.

10 hours ago, Toby said:

10 hours ago, Toby said:

I care- why wouldn’t I care? It’s not as important as any of the other tournaments we enter and I accept a bit of rotation, but let’s not kid ourselves- losing in the first round of this tournament 7 years in a row is embarrassing.

It's a tournament that used to mean something but which has been downgraded and devalued over the years, to the extent that we now have teams from outwith Scotland and, gawd help us, colt teams participating. 

Successive managers, not just of Morton, have made their feelings about this Cup quite clear. Winning yesterday would've been a bit of a hollow victory against pretty much a second string Inverness side - was John Robertson even there? - but anyone who didn't expect Hopkin to use that game to see how his less-used signings could perform hasn't been paying attention. 

You probably go to far more away games than I do, so the possibility of  ties at a few new venues will understandably make this tournament more significant to you, and that's a perfectly valid point. Personally I couldn't be arsed traipsing all the way down to, say, Wrexham for a Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup game, or even up to Inverness for that matter, so much as I'd like to have seen us get a win yesterday I'd far rather we had won, or even drawn, in the league game last week. 

If, and it's a big if, we ever get to the later stages of this thing then I'll give it my support. I'll be interested, because the club will by then be taking it seriously. At the moment, tho, to me it's just not worth getting upset about. 

10 hours ago, Toby said:

Does acting indifferent make you appear gallus or something?

You really rhink I give a monkey's about what people I don't know think of me? 

10 hours ago, Toby said:

I know you dislike some of the guys who do care, me included

Wrong classification there. I dislike those who behave like arseholes or idiots on here, just as I'd dislike them behaving that way at a game or anywhere else. I try to take each post in isolation and judge it on its own merits or lack of them, rather than do what many on here do and prejudge the post by the username at the top. If I think it and the poster deserve stick I might give it, and the reverse also applies - hell, I actually gave vt a greenie earlier in the week for posting something sensible without being an arsehole. Wasn't even a blue moon in the sky, either. 

20 hours ago, Super Caley Man said:

There was six Morton players sitting in the one of the upper sections of the main stand. 

Lucky b*****ds. Not only did they get paid to watch that game, by the end of it they must've known that most, if not all, of them would be shoo-ins for the squad this Saturday. 

19 hours ago, weirdcal said:

Just seen the highlights, what the hell did your keeper do to be beaten on the 3rd.

He did a Ramsbottom*. 

*making a goalkeeping error that you'd assume only someone who has never played in goals would make.