Does BBC Scotland still need a Scottish Six?

zenon

The Nine has had good reviews in the six months it's been on air but yet it's still getting dire viewing figures because it is up against all the prime time dramas and reality stuff and many believe this type of show should be on at 6pm on BBC One instead renewing never ending calls for a Scottish Six. So would you prefer The Nine as it is or a Scottish Six? 

As someone that wouldn't always believe the BBC if it said it would rain in Argyll tomorrow, I'm probably not the target audience for this question.

Too many years of BBC bias have put me off believing their headline BBC1/BBC2 propaganda. Why should their niche chanels be any different?

8 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

As someone that wouldn't always believe the BBC if it said it would rain in Argyll tomorrow, I'm probably not the target audience for this question.

Too many years of BBC bias have put me off believing their headline BBC1/BBC2 propaganda. Why should their niche chanels be any different?

If big Judith said it would rain today, I'd not be arguing with her.... 😨

Between the 24th of February and the 2nd of June there were 21 instances of programmes being broadcast on the BBC Scotland channel that had no viewers at all and that average figures up to the 1st of May showed around 7,200 in total watch the channel at all of an evening. 

That's £32m per year being pissed away that could have been better used giving Scottish pensioners free TV licences. 

I honestly think since it's launch the only thing I have watched on the channel has been some Championship football, that could have been put out on Alba instead. 

For me the channel needs to be dumped as it is an unnecessary cost which is highlighted by the total of lack in interest reflected by the abysmal viewing figures.

Don't forget that it is our license money that is being wasted on a very poor product.

BBC Alba is another poor product aimed at 6,000 Gaelic speakers, and I very much doubt if many of them tune in regularly.

Fact is these two channels would not be considered viable in the private visual media, so why should we the public who pay not have a say in closing these down.

Controversial I know but I know I'm not alone with these thoughts. 

45 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

For me the channel needs to be dumped as it is an unnecessary cost which is highlighted by the total of lack in interest reflected by the abysmal viewing figures.

Don't forget that it is our license money that is being wasted on a very poor product.

BBC Alba is another poor product aimed at 6,000 Gaelic speakers, and I very much doubt if many of them tune in regularly.

Fact is these two channels would not be considered viable in the private visual media, so why should we the public who pay not have a say in closing these down.

Pay the license fee, get with the times Sandy, give the bbc f**k aw.

think BBC Scotland has been good for the country.  Lot of good shows on it and it's growing into itself.

The country needed an outlet like this and space on TV.  It's content that can be absorbed in different ways from iplayer, onine, live, recorded..whatever.  Good for employment in these areas as well.

All for it.

£35m is a spit in a puddle and given what it's producing, i'd say it's doing extremely well if that is the budget.

I'm not fussed either way about a Scottish Six.  I think that's an archaic way of looking at it.  It's the overall content space that was needed.  Not one slot that is likely in a decaying medium.

Edited by tirso

2 minutes ago, tirso said:

think it's been good for the country.  Lot of good shows on it and it's growing into itself.

The country needed an outlet like this and space on TV.  It's content that can be absorbed in different ways from iplayer, onine, live, recorded..whatever.  Good for employment in these areas as well.

All for it.

£35m is a spit in a puddle and given what it's producing, i'd say it's doing extremely well if that is the budget.

I've just started watching it more regularly, they've got some cracking programming and as you said they need time to grow into the right mix, it can't happen on day one. It needs to be much higher up the channel guides in Scotland though, there's no excuse not to, they already show S4C right up there in Wales. You shouldn't have to shift down pages and pages to see what's on, which kills awareness of the channel.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

I'd tend to agree with you Sandy, you indeed won't be alone in your thoughts.

You say thoughts, some others might characterise them by being being nearer to gammony streams of consciousness. (cleaned that up)

For all its faults, I'm happy to hand over a modest fee for radio and other content and The Nine provides a distinctive take on matters that is free from the shackles of some of their other news output. Martin Geissler has been about and I don't think he'd ever take the stance of a Jackie Bird or any of her other discredited cohorts.

5 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Far from being controversial its an entirely tedious and common opinion amongst a certain type of person.

Btw BBC Alba gets about 700,000 viewers a week which means those 6000 ( lol )   Gaels are watching a lot of telly.

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Far from being controversial its an entirely tedious and common opinion amongst a certain type of person.

Btw BBC Alba gets about 700,000 viewers a week which means those 6000 ( lol )   Gaels are watching a lot of telly.

523,000 according to the BBC. Still impressive though for a channel that doesn't broadcast in English. 

It also serves to highlight how big a flop BbC Scotland is. Just 4000 people watching the flagship new programme which employs 80 journalists. Its a joke

1 hour ago, Malky3 said:

523,000 according to the BBC. Still impressive though for a channel that doesn't broadcast in English. 

It also serves to highlight how big a flop BbC Scotland is. Just 4000 people watching the flagship new programme which employs 80 journalists. Its a joke

Might an independent Scottish broadcaster free of any connection to the BBC run from London be a much better idea? You know, like a Scotland free from any connection to a failing UK? Think you're coming round to the idea of a Scotland running its own affairs, Malky!

29 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Might an independent Scottish broadcaster free of any connection to the BBC run from London be a much better idea? You know, like a Scotland free from any connection to a failing UK? Think you're coming round to the idea of a Scotland running its own affairs, Malky!

It wouldn't matter where it was run from or under what format. If a TV channel is regularly producing content that no-one watches then it's quite clear it's not viable. 

It wouldn't matter where it was run from or under what format. If a TV channel is regularly producing content that no-one watches then it's quite clear it's not viable. 
My biggest issue is that the quality of what they are producing is awful.

It's like they are trying to do it but on the cheap and under-resourced.

Does anyone know in cost per minute what it is costing compared to BBC regional programmes?

18 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Malky says the BBC figures are 523,000, but they would wouldn't they, as Mandy Rice Davies put it.

We'll never know the true figures but I'll bet a pound to a pinch of shit it's way less than that.

Absolute waste of Scottish License payers money.

2 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Malky says the BBC figures are 523,000, but they would wouldn't they, as Mandy Rice Davies put it.

We'll never know the true figures but I'll bet a pound to a pinch of shit it's way less than that.

637,000 in 2013 was the closest I could find.

http://www.mgalba.com/downloads/reports/annual-report-12-13.pdf 

4 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Its verifiable Sandy. Google BARB. The viewing figures per programme are on there. 

The average figure of 4000 for BBC Scotland comes from the BARB and from the BBC