Lowland in the Scottish Cup 2019-20

HibeeJibee

Interesting point raise by the FW v VoL tie.   If VoL get relegated from the LL they enter at the first Prelim round next season (if they are still licenced), whereas FW can continue to finish bottom every season in the HL and still enter at R1.
Time for reform of the early rounds, I believe with a few reasonable tweaks, all clubs can enter at Round 1 and ditch Prelim rounds altogether.
Teams at different tiers have normally come in at different rounds. The LL gets 16 teams and the HL 17 teams in at round 1. Win through the 2 prelim rounds and you'll bank more money than a team coming straight in at round 1 too.

3 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:
8 hours ago, Burnie_man said:
Interesting point raise by the FW v VoL tie.   If VoL get relegated from the LL they enter at the first Prelim round next season (if they are still licenced), whereas FW can continue to finish bottom every season in the HL and still enter at R1.
Time for reform of the early rounds, I believe with a few reasonable tweaks, all clubs can enter at Round 1 and ditch Prelim rounds altogether.

Teams at different tiers have normally come in at different rounds. The LL gets 16 teams and the HL 17 teams in at round 1. Win through the 2 prelim rounds and you'll bank more money than a team coming straight in at round 1 too.

I understand that, but clubs from the tier directly below the LL had to play 2 games to get to the same stage HL clubs walk into every year regardless of form.

Either way, as has been said there needs to be change for next season, will be interesting to see how the SFA want to play it.

David Taylor's original proposal was to scrap the 12 byes in 'old' R1: by letting the qualifying cup quarter-finalists (not semi-finalists) into the competition alongside 4 Junior champions. No surprise this went down like the Hindenburg: given many actual SFA members would still have failed to feature at all, and given no route was provided to senior champions.

He came back with an all-in model based on divisions entering at the same stage, plus granting senior champions places. Overwhelmingly popular. (It was only years later senior non-members received a cup route - the Amateur Cup champions now also qualify).

However back in the late 2000s there weren't enough clubs to fill the rounds up: so 4 Championship clubs got byes to R4 and 2 HL/1 EOSL/1 SOSL got byes to R2 - latter got appropriated to 2 LL when it began.

In time more clubs became members so a Preliminary round was activated. This was restricted to unlicensed clubs. When the number of licensed clubs exceeded slots in R1 nothing was brought to SFA AGM: but the following week emergency powers were used to drop licensed clubs outwith HL/LL to the Preliminary (by now actually 2 rounds). Attempts to reverse this the following year failed by a couple of votes. Several years before an attempt to remove Junior qualifiers had been defeated.

There are all manner of ways you could tweak it... remove 2 or 4 Championship byes; remove 2 or 4 HL/LL byes; make lowest HL/LL enter in last preliminary round; or some combination; or 'squeeze-up' R1-R2-R3 dates and add another preliminary round.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The first year of two preliminary rounds were 2015-16.

Cove Rangers and Vale of Leithen both started in Preliminary Round 1. Qualifiers like Auchinleck, Hermes, Kelty and LTHV got to start in Preliminary Round 2. Clubs from outwith the pyramid like Banks O'Dee and Glasgow University got to start in the First Round proper. That was due to random a draw.

There were a pair of Preliminary ties in 2012-13, due to an unusual number of qualifiers.

Following that the rules got amended so licensed clubs were exempt (though for reasons no one has ever understood any byes are drawn randomly: at first this meant senior/junior champions could get a bye and nowadays you find Whitehill playing in PR1 while Golspie get byed to PR2).

Cove and Vale missed licensing deadline for HL & LL clubs which is why they were in the 2015-16 prelims... it was in 2016-17 that licensed clubs outwith HL & LL were dropped into prelims.

That was deadline for all SFA members to get licensed... Newton Stewart and St Cuthbert missed deadline which is why they were ineligible for a random PR1 bye in 2016-17.

There were actually so few clubs that in 4 of the first 5 seasons there was 1 random bye in R1!

In hindsight David Taylor's only mistake was tailoring to 82 clubs by including some byes, not forseeing gradual 'growth'.

Edited by HibeeJibee

There are currently 23 licensed teams outside the SPFL/HL/LL. Some clubs are going through the licensing process, so let's assume there will be 6 new licensed clubs, then there will be 29. The maximum amount of qualifiers is 8 (4 juniors, 1 amateur, 1 EOS, 1 SOS, 1 South & East of Scotland Cup-Winners Shield). If one representative of the North Caledonian League gets added (only fair enough imo), that makes a total of 38 clubs, plus 33 HL/LL will be 71.

If the all Championship clubs start in round 3, league 1 clubs in round 2 and all HL/LL clubs in round 1, it would create room for 80 clubs in round 1 so there can even be 9 more licensed teams before preliminaries would be needed again. Until then, just give byes in round 1 to the top teams in the HL/LL and that's sorted. Or even give some League 1 clubs byes to round 3.

Edited by Marten

7 hours ago, gogsy said:

Going by the fact I cant see some replies to that I am guessing scottishjuniorfitba has been mouthing off again?

How is everyone blocked by this guy? 🤣🤣 Actually offended I'm not.

Referring to Kelty Hearts... went back a few tweets and he was mouthing off to Camelon Juniors saying they are a disgrace to their name and such for promoting their Scottish Cup game as one of the biggest in the clubs history.

image.png.de35d92bf237588a3af26183330f4ac2.pngimage.png.1446f0ee8a5aefbe9f57901b91598b9e.png

Edited by RampantFM

13 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:

Despite the anxiety it's going to give me, I will have to root for Kelty here just to see JuniorFitbaSC have a meltdown.  

The more rooting against us the better. Love it. Take it you'll be rooting from your armchair though?

16 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:

Despite the anxiety it's going to give me, I will have to root for Kelty here just to see JuniorFitbaSC have a meltdown.  

You sure that meltdown didn't happen a year ago and he's now in sort of permanent aftercare?

10 hours ago, RampantFM said:

How is everyone blocked by this guy? 🤣🤣 Actually offended I'm not.

Referring to Kelty Hearts... went back a few tweets and he was mouthing off to Camelon Juniors saying they are a disgrace to their name and such for promoting their Scottish Cup game as one of the biggest in the clubs history.

image.png.de35d92bf237588a3af26183330f4ac2.pngimage.png.1446f0ee8a5aefbe9f57901b91598b9e.png

Total scumbag this guy. We know our history we just know our future too