The Big Relegation Thread

Feels like a really even league this season, as has been said, no real weak side like Hearts last season.

We've got a tiny squad, savaged by injuries, and are still playing pretty well and either getting points or getting close to them. Our first 5 games have involved Aberdeen, Hibs, Rangers, and an away game to Kilmarnock. 4 tough games last season. The other we played 45 mins a man down and still got a point.

Suspect the games against the "bottom half" teams like St Mirren, County and Hamilton, will give a real indication of how in trouble we'll be. 

I'd say Motherwell aren't as strong as they look at first glance, but will still be safe.

Between St Johnstone, St Mirren, County, Kilmarnock, Livi and Hamilton. Arguments for all staying up comfortably, but also arguments they could all fall away.

Said it before and I'll say it again, just far too early to make any call on where teams will end up. We still have another month of transfer window yet.

Will that all said and done, of course, it's only right that I nominate the farmers for the drop.

I have a strange feeling that relegation this year might not be based on performance alone.

The prospect for points deduction etc. this year with the pandemic and financial stresses placed on clubs covering twice weekly testing; hugely inflated travelling costs etc. and the uncertainty of whether the season is going to be allowed to proceed or whether there will be an element of start-stop all gang together to make this one of the riskiest years I can remember.

Sorry but my mood is like the weather at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's certainly difficult to see past them at this stage.

Indeed. I am sure their fans will just accuse me of being small minded or of having a grudge, but they know deep down that this really is a make or break year for them.

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

Indeed. I am sure their fans will just accuse me of being small minded or of having a grudge, but they know deep down that this really is a make or break year for them.

No we'd probably just say you've been predicting our demise to the lower leagues for the last X number of seasons without fail. Even before you left and came back! :D 

I don't think you'd find a single St Johnstone fan who doesn't see this season as a change of direction for us and tipping point to either a fall down the leagues or a new chapter in our successful top flight stay. For what it's worth, I think we'll be fine, but that's personal opinion. Whilst there's always the jokes about Hamilton never going down, they've got the weakest squad by quite a distance. There aren't many stand out players in last seasons bottom 6 (minus Hibs) where'd I'd instantly take them in Perth. Maybe Stewart, Obika, Magennis are the only ones. The rest of the squads are all of the same quality or lesser to be honest. The other team to watch out for is Livingston, the away record combined with the poor start to the season makes them on a slippery slope, if the home form drops and it has so far they're in trouble. 

Either way it's way to early to call anything and I suspect come the end of the season you could have 5/6 teams looking over their shoulders. 

55 minutes ago, Widge said:

No we'd probably just say you've been predicting our demise to the lower leagues for the last X number of seasons without fail. Even before you left and came back! :D 

I don't think you'd find a single St Johnstone fan who doesn't see this season as a change of direction for us and tipping point to either a fall down the leagues or a new chapter in our successful top flight stay. For what it's worth, I think we'll be fine, but that's personal opinion. Whilst there's always the jokes about Hamilton never going down, they've got the weakest squad by quite a distance. There aren't many stand out players in last seasons bottom 6 (minus Hibs) where'd I'd instantly take them in Perth. Maybe Stewart, Obika, Magennis are the only ones. The rest of the squads are all of the same quality or lesser to be honest. The other team to watch out for is Livingston, the away record combined with the poor start to the season makes them on a slippery slope, if the home form drops and it has so far they're in trouble. 

Either way it's way to early to call anything and I suspect come the end of the season you could have 5/6 teams looking over their shoulders. 

Remembering that Hibs were bottom 6 last year, there's probably a couple  I'd take from that squad. 

They can keep Drey Wright though. 

On the assumption we can bring 2 or possibly 3 decent reinforcements in, then I don't see us going down. It does indeed seem the year that Hamilton will be in the automatic slot. I think that whoever ends up in the playoff will stay up, assuming Hearts win it, as any one of St Mirren / Livi / County etc that end up 11th should be easily strong enough to beat the Championship runners-up. 

Right thinking folk want United to finish 11th due to the high chance of a Dundee playoff. 

5 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Remembering that Hibs were bottom 6 last year, there's probably a couple  I'd take from that squad. 

My post literally says the bottom 6, minus Hibs.

They've got arguably the 3rd/4th best squad in the league!

2 hours ago, Widge said:

But who will they be looking over their shoulder at? Or will the bottom team be heading in the wrong direction, looking over their shoulder too?

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

Lot of big talk from Paisley, from fans of a club who haven’t finished above St Johnstone since the year Obama was sworn in as the 44th president of the United States. 11 (eleven) seasons in a row. 

And, with any luck, we'll be seeing a new Democrat being sworn in in the next few months. If that's not scientific proof that you'll be finishing below us, then I don't know what is.

Our first 5 games of the season included trips to Rangers and Kilmarnock, and hosting Aberdeen and Hibs.

We've been 4 starters down in that time, plus a couple of other senior players having knocks that kept them out of games, yet St Mirren, who have so far played Livingston, Hamilton and Ross County, have just one more win than us.

Staggering how giddy they're getting about being mid-table after the easiest start to the season of any team.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Our first 5 games of the season included trips to Rangers and Kilmarnock, and hosting Aberdeen and Hibs.

We've been 4 starters down in that time, plus a couple of other senior players having knocks that kept them out of games, yet St Mirren, who have so far played Livingston, Hamilton and Ross County, have just one more win than us.

Staggering how giddy they're getting about being mid-table after the easiest start to the season of any team.

Yeah, but you have a 'cursed' goalkeeper.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Yeah, but you have a 'cursed' goalkeeper.

Correct, fortunately he's second choice, and the non-jinx should hopefully return to the squad this week.

I do love when RG is forced to shuffle the deckchairs on the titanic. Mentions them playing Rangers, doesn't mention we also played Rangers, mentions missing players, doesn't mention we are also missing players, mentions playing Aberdeen and Killie, both teams playing rotten just now, but doesn't mention County were 3rd in the league and unbeaten when they came to us.

It's not so much what you post, bud, it's what you leave out that has me tickled.. ;)

It's only going to get better as it becomes harder and harder to cherry pick.. :D

Edited by Ric

Closed shop this season in such unprecedented times. Relegating a team after a gruelling 38 game campaign and promoting another after a tinpot 27 game season would call into question the integrity of Scottish football.

Please try again in 2022. 216845870_20200802_132512(2).png.2807f4892c0b0830825bc28d4cb9a315.png