The Big Relegation Thread

5 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I know you're looking at 38 points but that must have been applicable when the bottom team was cut adrift and 11th did a bit better. Have you got any sort of records for when the bottom has been a bit closer?

Definitely been a few tighter ones that St Mirren have been involved in where the points total to stay out the playoff was quite high. I know in 08/09 ICT were relegated with 37 points on goal difference over St Mirren and saints also finished second bottom in 12/13 on 41 points. No playoff those years luckily for us!

Looking at the table on December 17th compared to now while discussing us, and thought it was an interesting one.

20230403_092118.thumb.jpg.8bf26f3d698fb56dd64c2cfaaf8c35ac.jpg

Motherwell managing to fly up the table and secure safety despite losing 6 of their last 14 games is certainly something.

United been fucked from the start, but have claimed more points over this period than St Johnstone, who have absolutely plummeted despite the large, strong, squad being relatively unharmed in terms of injuries/suspensions/sales.

Feels Hibs-esque where the chat is about top 6 and then all of a sudden are in the play offs.

This was Hibs the season they went down, FWIW.

Screenshot_20230403_095314_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e38b1d57cbe3e728cba488030edf8839.jpg

Edited by RandomGuy.

Without having gone into the post-split fixture scheduling in granular detail, I gather that Kilmarnock are likely to get three home fixtures and two of those will be against the teams below them. That makes me confident that United won't catch them and I don't see how County will either.

That Kyle Vassell winner at Tannadice in February was huge. 

Edited by bunglebonce

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

Without having gone into the post-split fixture scheduling in granular detail, I gather that Kilmarnock are likely to get three home fixtures and two of those will be against the teams below them. That makes me confident that United won't catch them and I don't see how County will either.

How do you know we are likely to get three home games? How is this worked out?

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

How do you know we are likely to get three home games? How is this worked out?

I am going on the basis of Killie having 16 home vs 17 away pre-split fixtures this season.

Spoiler

I'm happy to be corrected on this: I gather that when the scheduling is worked at the start of the season it is on a guess of who will finish in the top and bottom halves. If every team finishes around where they are expected to be, everyone should end up with 19 home and 19 away fixtures at the end of the season. However that doesn't always happen and some teams end up with 20/18 and vice versa. I've not looked into who else is due what, which might conflict with what Killie would be due.

Edited by bunglebonce

36 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

season it is on a guess of who will finish in the top and bottom halves.

Might be wrong, but I don't think they "guess" as such - I think they base it solely on who finished top and bottom 6 the season before (with the promoted team(s) replacing the relegated team(s). 

If County can stay within three points of Killie before the split I think there's a chance. If not, we're either down or in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

That win was in the Scottish Cup, we’ve won zero games away from home in the league.

For me when I look at the two tables @RandomGuy.listed earlier I see massive missed opportunities. We chucked away 2 points at home to Motherwell and another 2 at home to St Johnstone that would’ve had us in a far better position.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

We beat them 1-0 in the league at Rugby Park round about the same time.

Yes, I thought from looking at the results that the second of those 1-0 wins was Killie's first away league win of the season, which in that context was huge for their prospects. My conflating the context doesn't help.

Edited by bunglebonce

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Feels Hibs-esque where the chat is about top 6 and then all of a sudden are in the play offs.

This was Hibs the season they went down, FWIW.

Screenshot_20230403_095314_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e38b1d57cbe3e728cba488030edf8839.jpg

That year with hibs I called it about then if not before. They were atrocious.

St J seem as if they have enough to trip over the line.

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Dundee United have been away to both Killie and Ross County twice, and therefore should be at home to both after the split. We'll no doubt get screwed over though 

That's the one irk I have about the split. It's hard to even the H/A games up.

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

That's the one irk I have about the split. It's hard to even the H/A games up.

I'm the same, I like the split, but it's fucking mental that we had to go to Tannadice 3 times last season. Lost all 3 and finished 2 points behind them. Obviously we both got humiliated in Europe anyway but still.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Looking at the table on December 17th compared to now while discussing us, and thought it was an interesting one.

20230403_092118.thumb.jpg.8bf26f3d698fb56dd64c2cfaaf8c35ac.jpg

Motherwell managing to fly up the table and secure safety despite losing 6 of their last 14 games is certainly something.

United been fucked from the start, but have claimed more points over this period than St Johnstone, who have absolutely plummeted despite the large, strong, squad being relatively unharmed in terms of injuries/suspensions/sales.

It's funny how looking at those two tables you'd think Aberdeen and Hearts had been trading places all season, it overlooks Aberdeen's plummet and yoyo return of late and Hearts unassailable 3rd (and guaranteed European group football cash) which is now squeeky bum.

For us we were right in the middle of the mire after 17 games, only to get out of it 7 games later, with the majority of our points total in the lefthand one coming in August/September.

I didn't envisage Livi's form nosedive as they had the easiest run to the split out of the top 6 contenders. With St Johnstone of late it seems like it's always a thing lurking, 6 points from 39 is chronic, however we blitzed that with our 7 from 51.

St Mirren have been consistent plodding away, 21 points form their first 15 games and 20 from their next.

Edited by Kapowzer

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I can't think of the last time any team went through an entire Premiership / Premier league season without winning a single game played on grass.

We haven't won a game this season with a Saturday 3pm kickoff.  Unrelated, but I thought it was quite interesting. If rather depressing 

Edited by Sarto Mutiny

19 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

We haven't won a game this season with a Saturday 3pm kickoff.  Unrelated, but I thought it was quite interesting. If rather depressing 

Have our 5 wins all come at different times, or is there a specific time that it might be worth trying to move all our games to?

33 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

On the positive side, you appear to have a 100% win record when you play at 3.00 on Mondays.