The Big Relegation Thread

Kilmarnock and Motherwell just don't get relegated. They'll see off the diddies below them. County will finish 12th and be subsequently relegated. Dundee Utd will be outdone by their rivals in the play off and we'll pinch Steven Fletcher, even if he requires a zimmer frame to get on the score sheet.

41 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I don't think any of us genuinely thought they were deliberately giving it a miss, just slightly disappointed not to hear them squirm a bit. 😄

There have been a few non-regular guests who have done exactly this when their team have lost a game, and they don't tend to get invited back.

Edited by craigkillie

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Counter-intuitive, I know, but if I were a Motherwell fan, I'd be deeply worried about having just hired the guy who won two games in a row as caretaker.

The caretaker bounce is common, and hiring them often a mistake. Just last season Burnley's Mike Jackson (an internal promotion like Kettlewell) took over a side that had picked up 4 points out of 21, took 10 from the next available 12, and then they reverted to type and got relegated anyway by collapsing in the last four games. It was quite similar, battling to a couple of big home wins, players re-energised, crowd re-energised. Then they fell apart.

Kettlewell got the two wins, and you can't quibble with that. But St Mirren are poor on the road, Hearts average at best, and Motherwell statistically were likely to win sometime. I'd be suspicious of those two results.

For what it's worth, Motherwell have seemed decent when I've seen them this season, but then so have Dundee United, so a small sample size can be misleading.

No more condescending posts from you on other teams' threads, then...

3 hours ago, Brian Graham’s Lovely Hair said:

Watching Well on Sunday, their defence had improved a hell of a lot compared to the game v Hibs a few weeks ago. That will help their cause a good bit. 

Yep, was about to post the same. I dont believe its a coincidence, and (while he may have some limitations) Kettlewell has obviously had a wee look at a few of those final Stevie H matches and tightened it up.

They were pressing Hearts all over the pitch last week whereas previously they looked sluggish.

3 hours ago, Al B said:

Hammell has maybe been unfortunate in that Butcher and Casey had come in and hadn't had a chance to play by the time he was binned... but regardless I don't think he'd would have set a back 5 up in the way that Kettlewell did.

I mean, I had given up on Hammell months ago but this was broadly my takeaway too.

Like, it's a probably unanswerable question but had he kept his job after the Raith debacle would we have seen the changes we saw against St Mirren? Probably not. There was absolutely nothing in his body of work to date to suggest that.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Yep, was about to post the same. I dont believe its a coincidence, and (while he may have some limitations) Kettlewell has obviously had a wee look at a few of those final Stevie H matches and tightened it up.

They were pressing Hearts all over the pitch last week whereas previously they looked sluggish.

@Al B's post at the top of the page is an excellent summary of our major issue this season and tbh, I don't think it's been clear for a lot of folk looking in from the outside what the root cause of our problems has been.

Instead they've just watched us and thought we're shite. Which I suppose is fair.

To put it in context, for Motherwell supporters watching this team on the regular we've seen cheap, soft goals being given away week in, week out while Hammell was popping up post-game *literally* scratching his head saying "we weren't good enough defensively" but failing on a weekly basis to do anything about it - no change in shape, no change in tactics - just #wegoagain and apparently doing "good work" on the training ground.

It's not just the last few games Hammell was in charge, we had months of him highlighting defensive issues but simply not being able to fix them.

Without getting into the weeds of things there was a post in our thread shortly before Hammell was emptied that caused a stir across various social media platforms. Who knows if it's true or not but it'd 100% have explained a lot.

The long and the short of it was that we were apparently a shambles in training...take what you will from the fact that in Hammell's final press conference he chose to chuck the players under the bus saying that "you need to take personal responsibility for your performance levels. As I said, the information and the quality of training and coaching they get during the week and the plans in place for the games is there. It's them translating that and lifting their performance levels to a level that will get us over the line."

(Narrator: they lost to 3-1 against Raith Rovers)

Kettlewell had 3 (THREE) days with the team and we immediately looked better organised against St Mirren before keeping a clean sheet against Hearts.

Edited by capt_oats

Dundee Utd have that overwhelming stench of relegation about them right now. I expect them to lose in Dingwall on Saturday and that might just cause enough panic that sees Fox getting binned.

Whilst accepting that there are many other problems at the club, I do think he's out of his depth and needs emptied asap.

Who would replace him though is the 64 million dollar question.

Usually theres one or two teams at this point that could go down but I've gone from being pretty sure that Motherwell would and Dundee Utd wouldnt at the start of the year to the other way round. From 9th-12th I would have probably changed my prediction every week since then. 

From a neutrals point of view I'm wanting a Dundee Derby in the play offs, would be rather box office. 

Relegated teams nearly always have a couple of performances which makes everyone think it'll be ok - it's not that long since United tonked County and should have won at Hibs, County had been decent till last Saturday, Killie are still strong at home. We obviously improved a lot in our last two outings but the margins for winning was still rather thin - the size of Kelly's gloves v Hearts tbh - and suggesting we're headed for safety seems very premature.

Regardless of the last two results, the next two are huge because winning neither will almost certainly turn into no wins in four, leaving us back almost where we started pre-St Mirren.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Whoever loses our game on Saturday will finish bottom.

Whoever wins it will finish 11th

This, most likely. But Motherwell’s panicky appointment is reminding me that there other possibilities.  

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

This, most likely. But Motherwell’s panicky appointment is reminding me that there other possibilities.  

I don't think it's 'panicky', we gave Hammy time to turn it around and he didn't.  We gave Ketts two games to show  he could hold the fort, and I think no-one expected more than 3 points, but we got 6. 

Choosing Holloway "just because he's a 'name'" would have more the smell of panic, in my opinion.  McGann was enough of an unknown quantity that no-one could have a super strong opinion either way, tbh.

Of course it's not say he's the right choice, but the history of football managers tells us they're all wrong eventually.  it's just how long the good times last, and that is very difficult to predict.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons