The Big Relegation Thread

34 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I'd be very surprised if whoever finished 11th didn't win the playoff tbh. Unless it was a Dundee derby, in which case all bets are off

I think, and im aware how these things come back on you, we have enough quality to see off any Championship side. Murphy/Carey/Wotherspoon/May/Clark shouldnt be getting relegated. 

But the club is genuinely a mess and the players who seemed to chuck it yesterday were senior trusted pros. Wotherspoon is probably one of the most respected players at the club and its hard not to look at certain things as pointing at him being unhappy with the manager. If hes at that stage, someone wholl be wholly professional and loyal as long as he can, then there must be many in the squad the same.

Thats ignoring the fact we just had a player walk away from a 18 month deal, without taking any compensation, because he had zero trust in the manager. 

We cant sack said manager because he helped hired the people who'd make that decision, because our chairman chucked it and seems to have no interest. Manager is also contracted until 2025 and, having spent somewhere close to £500k on this squad with multiple huge earners, im not sure anyone at the club will sanction the amount needed to punt him anyway as theyll hope we survive and run the contract down a bit.

Tl;dr - We have a squad that should be safe but theres signs our squad is splitting and losing trust in a manager we cant get rid of.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think, and im aware how these things come back on you, we have enough quality to see off any Championship side. Murphy/Carey/Wotherspoon/May/Clark shouldnt be getting relegated. 

But the club is genuinely a mess and the players who seemed to chuck it yesterday were senior trusted pros. Wotherspoon is probably one of the most respected players at the club and its hard not to look at certain things as pointing at him being unhappy with the manager. If hes at that stage, someone wholl be wholly professional and loyal as long as he can, then there must be many in the squad the same.

Thats ignoring the fact we just had a player walk away from a 18 month deal, without taking any compensation, because he had zero trust in the manager. 

We cant sack said manager because he helped hired the people who'd make that decision, because our chairman chucked it and seems to have no interest. Manager is also contracted until 2025 and, having spent somewhere close to £500k on this squad with multiple huge earners, im not sure anyone at the club will sanction the amount needed to punt him anyway as theyll hope we survive and run the contract down a bit.

Tl;dr - We have a squad that should be safe but theres signs our squad is splitting and losing trust in a manager we cant get rid of.

We're only 3 points ahead of you however we've shown quite a lot of resilience this season and I reckon most of our fans are looking at maintaining our current place rather than downwards to the bottom two slots (famous last words). Only three points but @elvis excluded a different attitude.

FWIW my prediction

11th  Well/Killie

12th  County

Edited by btb

2 minutes ago, btb said:

We're only 3 points ahead of you however we've shown quite a lot of resilience this season and I reckon most of our fans are looking at maintaining our current place rather than downwards to the bottom two slots (famous last words). Only three points but @elvis excluded a different attitude.

FWIW my prediction

11t h  Well/Killie

12th  COUNTY

I’m enamoured by your prediction.  Are you in the habit of being right?

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We weren't that far ahead of ICT and then it was helped by a packed McDiarmid fully behind the team.

Yesterday there were chants against the manager and players, lots of fans left at half time, and some players clearly chucked it. We're about to play Rangers back to back.

We're going to implode.

While I'm all for doom and gloom about Saints just now, we were absolutely fucking miles ahead of ICT over the two legs and I'm still not entirely clear how we managed to throw away a two goal lead in the away leg. Inverness were garbage.

9 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

While I'm all for doom and gloom about Saints just now, we were absolutely fucking miles ahead of ICT over the two legs and I'm still not entirely clear how we managed to throw away a two goal lead in the away leg. Inverness were garbage.

The tie was level until the final 45 minutes. That was us with much better players than our opponents, with some form of form headed into fixtures and a fanbase willing to fully back the team with people like Rooney firing everyone up. 

I dont think we get away with it if we hit the play offs again.

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Tbf the quality in and around the Championship top four is just getting worse and worse. While we were all braced to sit back and piss ourselves if you went down last year, let's face it, it wasn't even close in the end.

Nobody in the Championship is laying a glove on any top flight team over two legs. Even Morton's annual failure to make the top four isn't predicted to be confirmed until late March this year. That's how shit they all are.

Read this type of comment a lot in 2021.

8 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Tbf the quality in and around the Championship top four is just getting worse and worse. While we were all braced to sit back and piss ourselves if you went down last year, let's face it, it wasn't even close in the end.

Nobody in the Championship is laying a glove on any top flight team over two legs. Even Morton's annual failure to make the top four isn't predicted to be confirmed until late March this year. That's how shit they all are.

Queen's Park have it in them to beat any bottom six team 4-0 in either leg. Of course, they also have it in them to lose about 6-0.

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Queen's Park have it in them to beat any bottom six team 4-0 in either leg. Of course, they also have it in them to lose about 6-0.

Lesser Hampden's capacity of around 1,400 will be a laugh in the Premiership to be fair. 

56 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Read this type of comment a lot in 2021.

Aye - you also just need to look at the Kilmarnock side and the championship standard players they continue to give regular game time to. They didn’t even deem the likes of Polworth good enough for them in the championship. The top league sides obviously have the better sides, but it’s nonsense to suggest it would be a stroll for the top league side. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Aye - you also just need to look at the Kilmarnock side and the championship standard players they continue to give regular game time to. They didn’t even deem the likes of Polworth good enough for them in the championship. The top league sides obviously have the better sides, but it’s nonsense to suggest it would be a stroll for the top league side. 

I think there was a lot of similar conversation around the playoffs in the season we came up too. Regardless of quality in the squads the one aspect that's not talked about enough is the unity in a squad that's likely been pushing for a title vs a team that's had a season of calamity and likely are low on morale/motivation. 

The Partick team we faced looked absolutely gormless at times even when they had Doolan and Erskine playing their heart out trying to bail them out. You just need to look at the chaos of a St Johnstone right now, who've lost the heart they had last season when they won the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

I think there was a lot of similar conversation around the playoffs in the season we came up too. Regardless of quality in the squads the one aspect that's not talked about enough is the unity in a squad that's likely been pushing for a title vs a team that's had a season of calamity and likely are low on morale/motivation. 

The Partick team we faced looked absolutely gormless at times even when they had Doolan and Erskine playing their heart out trying to bail them out. You just need to look at the chaos of a St Johnstone right now, who've lost the heart they had last season when they won the playoffs. 

When I look at St Johnstone I can at least see some kind of quality there, and they were obviously going well just a few weeks ago. More so with Dundee United though. Then you look at the County/Killie sides and there just isn’t much there. Not that the top four in the championship have much of Premiership quality either mind. 

10 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

When I look at St Johnstone I can at least see some kind of quality there, and they were obviously going well just a few weeks ago. More so with Dundee United though. Then you look at the County/Killie sides and there just isn’t much there. Not that the top four in the championship have much of Premiership quality either mind. 

Easy solution is just expand the league to 16/18 teams and everyone gets to be happy :D 

10 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Enough there to beat Ayr 3 times last season. You won't need to concern yourself with the play offs  Ayr won't get through the 2nd v 4th tie. 

2 minutes ago, KTID26 said:

Enough there to beat Ayr 3 times last season. You won't need to concern yourself with the play offs  Ayr won't get through the 2nd v 4th tie. 

That's not how the playoffs work is it? 3rd v 4th, winner v 2nd, winner v 11th?

3 minutes ago, KTID26 said:

😂 I was making a general point about the standard of some of your players, no need to be so defensive. 

I’ll happily admit to Ayr’s failings in terms of trying to finish in the top four, but I’m not sure what relevance the Ayr side of last season has to this one.