The Big Relegation Thread

The bottom two will come from County, Motherwell and Killie.

Those above struggling may have a miserable time to come but are basically safe already...they will scramble another 10-12 points even if they make a mess of the window and there's no way all those at the bottom will turn it round to the extent of hitting the high 30s.

8 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Those above struggling may have a miserable time to come but are basically safe already...they will scramble another 10-12 points even if they make a mess of the window and there's no way all those at the bottom will turn it round to the extent of hitting the high 30s.

I agree with all of that. 

Kilmarnock have won 4 of their last 5 home games, with one of their only 2 home defeats all season being against Celtic. If they maintain that home form they aren't going down, they can keep ticking over with wins while the rest of the bottom four and some above it have the potential for lengthy winless runs in them.

1 hour ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Dons in trouble once again. 

10 points in it and I don't see where the next win comes from. 

Huge month this. 

Two home games against County and St J and then we've got two away games to Edinburgh. 

Worrying times.

not to be dismissive but I think this is a little over dramatic. 

It’s perfectly reasonable to think the next win could come from a home fixture with Ross county. 

35 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I don’t see how anyone could remove United from the equation. We’ve had a few decent results lately, but annoyingly they tend to be matched by the teams around us. 

5 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

I don’t see how anyone could remove United from the equation. We’ve had a few decent results lately, but annoyingly they tend to be matched by the teams around us. 

You've got by miles the best squad on paper and will spend most money in January, I'll eat my metaphorical hat if United don't end up ninth or better.

I thought anyone above 20pts was safe tbh, especially those near 25, as it only really needs 4 wins from that tally to be uncatchable.

Ill have the absolute fear for us if United win on Monday though, even more so if County beat Aberdeen too.

We'd find ourselves 6pts off the bottom, back into a rut we couldnt get out of last season, and January window which seems to be identified as one we can cut the squad size down in and actually use to try and build something from.

20 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I thought anyone above 20pts was safe tbh, especially those near 25, as it only really needs 4 wins from that tally to be uncatchable.

Ill have the absolute fear for us if United win on Monday though, even more so if County beat Aberdeen too.

Yeah, the thing about the only four wins logic is how quickly that target can slip away if a team in that group gets caught in a rut and you suddenly can't see where those wins come from.

If St Johnstone lose on Monday that'll be three defeats in a row with their most winnable game of January on paper out the way, and that could easily turn into freefall.

Hibs have only won one of their last six, which unsurprisingly was against 10 men. If they come out of their next three (Hearts at home, Motherwell away, Dundee United at home) without a win then you can again start asking where the wins come from.

Aberdeen have lost four in a row already, if they don't take four points from the next two (Ross County & St Johnstone at home) then Goodwin is probably out of a job and who knows where Cormack's incredible track record of managerial appointments is going to lead them next.

23 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

County will go down automatically and it's Motherwell that look most likely for the play-offs at the moment for me.

Agree with this, based on Killie's home form (in addition to Well's) at the moment.

A lot will depend on what the window brings for clubs in the bottom half though

On 29/12/2022 at 16:05, Junior_Arab said:

I can't be too optimistic about United, but I will say that our recent home form has been decent. Our away form utterly stinks though. I hope we will make signings in January as we really need to.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

United have shown in the past that they will throw money they can't afford at improving the team in order to buy their way out of a hole, and I'd expect them to do it again.

We might not want to be throwing stones in that particular area given our rather chequered financial history.

I think I’ll make a prediction once each team has finished their business in January. I believe that whoever has the worst window between ourselves, Killie, Motherwell and United will be down. Think whoever finishes 11th will be safe no matter who it is, though.

Edited by Matty-RCFC