The Big Relegation Thread

45 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Macgennis is one of our best players.  Of course he would get a game for St Mirren :lol: 

Not ahead of McGrath and Ronan. Then again I'm using the StMirren version as a comparison, not seen him much for Hibs.

I wonder if he'll ever fulfil his full potential. Rarely plays over 30 games a season. 

Anyway back to the thread, just now it appears to be a 2 horse race at the bottom but with covid still lingering it could only take an outbreak or 2 to change the whole dynamics. 

44 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Bottom of the league is already sorted.

St Johnstone are capable of mounting a recovery. 

Dundee aren't. 

I would say that the bottom 2 are sorted, easily the poorest 2 teams in the league. Not too sure about the Billy Daintees capability of mounting a recovery though. 11 goals from 22 games, only 8 from open play, is a real indicator of where the problem lies. Nothing to suggest the recent activity in the transfer window will address this.

54 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Bu@@er - found it....

Killie were just beaten by Livi 2-0 this time last year. They were on 24 points in 8th, 6 points off Accies at the bottom. It was the 2nd game of a run where they went 7 defeats and a draw. This year that gap would be 9 points so it was bit tighter.

59 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Lex said:

I see he’s not been in the match day squad for a while. Take it he’s injured again?
Nice fella and a decent player, but probably the most injury prone footballer I’ve ever seen at Saints.

Was Dargo before your time ?

I’ll see your Dargo and raise you a Twaddle.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I feel like that is largely underrated as an escape, beyond Saints fans, of course. I still cant quite make sense of how we stopped up.

Yes, as @Lex says, Dundee were rotten that year- they got 4 points between middle of Feb and the end of the season.

Kearney got a guys in during January that strengthened us, got points at Pittodrie and Tynecastle and the team and fans seemed to have belief and we got on a sort of run. We got a some breaks and a few late goals. I actually felt we were unlucky to go into the playoff as well.

At this point of the season, I'd say it's not impossible for teams in the middle to implode or the ones at the bottom to suddenly improve. I doubt many would have given us much of a chance that season.

It was another bad weekend for the bottom two, despite neither of them playing.
Both County and Livi extending the gap between them and the danger zone, despite having tough games they were favourites to lose.
That’s a great win at Easter Road at Livi. Some job Matindale has done yet again. I fancied them for top six before the start of the season and I still do.
County are clearly a handy dangerous side and were well worth their point against Rangers. Their goals for column is ridiculous. They are 10th and have 34 goals. That’s five more goals than the bottom two combined [emoji28]
Another full midweek card incoming:
IMG_7564.jpg
Livi will be out the mix if they beat the struggling Saintees at Spaghettihad IMO. County will fancy themselves to beat Aberdeen in Dingwall, the Dons are hopeless away from home. Theres more winnable home matches for a fresh Dundee and St Mirren against teams who had tough, tiring losses today.

Livingston are already out of it.

It's between us and Dundee, and has been for at least a month.

Two absolutely shit sides, with clueless managers, fighting over who gets to suffer through an extra couple of games before their inevitable relegation.

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We're down. For a team usually so prudent with money, I'm surprised St Johnstone have spent 250K in transfer fees alone just to still finish in the exact same position of 11th.

We're on the march to relegate Malky now.

Bair to score the winner on the final day to plop them into 11th then throw him over the stand onto the A9.

30pts the cut off? I think if you reach that you're safe, bottom two with lots to do to reach it.

Screenshot_20220202-080848_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c0391ff4b4a2973569ca16be904a1656.jpg

County will be getting a bit twitchy with both sides having games in hand. They've been by far the best side of the three so should still be fine. Above that you're looking at sides just a win or two away from apparent safety, they'd need to completely collapse and only pick up 4/5 points in 14 games to be in trouble.

To me it's still a straight shoot out between the bottom two.

Screenshot_20220202-080905_Chrome.thumb.jpg.81ba59669dd5fb33be37c0b368d3dab0.jpg

Dundee v County huge. A win for Dundee puts County right in the shit, a win for County virtually scores their safety from 12th.

St Johnstone need to win then say how the land lays. Either be closer to County or further away from Dundee.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

30pts the cut off? I think if you reach that you're safe, bottom two with lots to do to reach it.

County will be getting a bit twitchy with both sides having games in hand. They've been by far the best side of the three so should still be fine. Above that you're looking at sides just a win or two away from apparent safety, they'd need to completely collapse and only pick up 4/5 points in 14 games to be in trouble.

To me it's still a straight shoot out between the bottom two.

Dundee v County huge. A win for Dundee puts County right in the shit, a win for County virtually scores their safety from 12th.

St Johnstone need to win then say how the land lays. Either be closer to County or further away from Dundee.

I still think it's a bit early to say the bottom two are definitely gone, especially with the number of games left, but they do look the favourites.

We were dogshit for most of the game last night, and Dundee didn't really lay a glove on us, that's got to be worrying for them, but it is still close enough that a couple of wins for anyone down there and it's game on even as far up as Aberdeen and Hibs depending on who ends up in the bottom 6.

From a United point of view, as long as we keep matching the result of one of Dundee and St Johnstone, tbh, I'll be happy enough. If that gaps starts closing, it will be worrying. 12 points becomes 6 by the split, and I'd be shitting myself. On the other hand, if we win at McDiarmid at the weekend, we're about one more win from definitely being over the line