The Big Relegation Thread

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

'Sup guys? Missed this place and I am delighted  - DELIGHTED, I tells ya - to be back in the mix.

We are stuffy and hard to beat (opponents' PPG is about on a par with Hearts on the below), but those draws and our inability in front of goal could kill us. We've lost the same number of games as Dundee in the last 8 but they have found a killer touch and won where we've drawn 4. Popular stat doing the rounds is that we've had well over 100 shots in the past six games and scored three goals*. 

image.png.d2dd2d215c575473fd4fa12c7f364f96.png

Overall table for reference:

image.png.94f561d90ab591e81e0236f61a1d752d.png

* Paging @craigkillie and @Sortmeout to the thread: they may have Brophy-related comments to add at this point.

I don’t have anything too negative on Brophy, I was a fan of his at Kilmarnock and he scored a fair number of important goals for us. Steve Clarke trusted him which is enough for me.

However with Brophy the issues are:

Never seems to be really fit. Can’t remember him having a run of 10 starts in a row for example.

Shoots when sometimes he should pass (but that’s not really the worst trait to have).

Goes down looking for fouls too often when he would probably be better staying on his feet.

Brophy also had the luxury of playing in a team with either an on-form Kris Boyd, Greg Stewart, Jordan Jones etc buzzing around him helping to free up space and chances. I know you have a few players at St Mirren you are happy with and with big potential but I doubt any of them will have had as big an impact on your team as those 3 (and others) did for us under Clarke.

On 02/12/2021 at 11:29, capt_oats said:

This is how the league looked at (very roughly) the same stage last year. It's obviously a bit fucked because of the Covid call-offs so I've added 19/20 below as well.

1758135429_ScreenShot2021-12-02at11_23_04.thumb.png.3e306d85e84b336aacfacce81485f8a1.png

292850934_ScreenShot2021-12-02at11_25_40.thumb.png.fe45d8cc09db601ff27fdb259518ba16.png

Tbh, it's not massively different. County are still currently bottom on 11 same as both Accies and St Mirren the two years previous. Aberdeen are 7th on 18 compared with St Johnstone and County on 17.

Currently there are 7 points between 12th and 7th. Compared with 6 points in 19/20 and 20/21.

Having said that, it feels like a massive January coming up for a couple of teams. 

Interesting that we're on almost the same points as the last two seasons currently and have finished top 6 in both of those seasons

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Interesting that we're on almost the same points as the last two seasons currently and have finished top 6 in both of those seasons

Aye, both seasons prior saw Livi's big unbeaten streak begin right at the start of December as well, and last until the start of February. No team seems to enjoy the tight December schedule and subsequent January return more than yourselves, so Martindale will need to get it going once again.

2019/20:

image.thumb.png.648e69dd742855aa906e277e9690e738.png

2020/21:

image.thumb.png.714b4e151894c486915d3c57b89df0fb.png

Big acts to follow imo, but if it can happen twice it can happen a 3rd time.

I'd like to think our last 2 games is evidence of us heralding a similar stretch, but of course I would think that...

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

On 02/12/2021 at 12:08, Coventry Saint said:

I'm clinging to our 'hard to beat' status as the only positive sign at this stage. The worst teams in those two tables you've posted have usually lost a good chunk more than five games at this point. 

St Mirren will be fine. You guys have been probably to most impressive/steady side I have seen us play in the bottom 6 this season. Everyone else will trundle along and have ups and downs, but Dundee are the side that could be the most entertaining to watch. They will either do some incredible run and make the top 6 or they will completely crash and burn and finish bottom. There will be no middle ground with them. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

Just now, Theyellowbox said:

St Mirren will be fine. You guys have been probably to most impressive/steady side I have seen us play in the bottom 6 this season. Everyone else will trundle along and have ups and downs, buy Dundee are the side that could be the most entertaining to watch. They will either do some incredible run and make the top 6 or they will completely crash and burn and finish bottom. There will be no middle ground with them. 

Can I order the top 6 one please?

16 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I'd like to think our last 2 games is evidence of us heralding a similar stretch, but of course I would think that...

3 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

They will do some incredible run and make the top 6

See? Not just me 😏

27 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Aye, both seasons prior saw Livi's big unbeaten streak begin right at the start of December as well, and last until the start of February. No team seems to enjoy the tight December schedule and subsequent January return more than yourselves, so Martindale will need to get it going once again.

2019/20:

2020/21:

I don't see it happening, and that's why I feel like we're in trouble tbf. A lot of Livi fans seem to be defending Martindale with the "look where we were last year" despite the fact it was this exact form that ended with Holt walking away (before he was pushed tbf). 

Then again, we could beat Hearts and things would look a lot better. We have enough strength in our squad to be above where we are but there's a lot of strong squads this season

50 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

No, although could you imagine the scenes if LG scored vs Rangers on the last day of the season to hand the title to Celtic. The scenes and sheer rage would be worth seeing you guys up there. 

Or Charlie Adam doing it would leave them quite miffed.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

I don't see it happening, and that's why I feel like we're in trouble tbf. A lot of Livi fans seem to be defending Martindale with the "look where we were last year" despite the fact it was this exact form that ended with Holt walking away (before he was pushed tbf). 

Then again, we could beat Hearts and things would look a lot better. We have enough strength in our squad to be above where we are but there's a lot of strong squads this season

Hibs also have a game in hand on you in 6th so if they were to win that 6th place would actually be 21 points. No guarantee they would win it but you know what I mean. A gap of 8 points between Livi and the Top 6 is a wider margin than in either of those other two seasons.

The other thing is, as @Ron Aldo mentioned further up the page, you also had Killie absolutely crash and burn in the way they did. On top of the runs Livi had as @RossBFaeDundee mentioned, this was also Killie from December onwards last season.

2 wins in 18 and 11 without a goal is pretty special and the way the league seems set at the moment I don't really see any team replicating that.

14992357_ScreenShot2021-12-03at16_29_24.thumb.png.86790355ddcce966a5cd1e7bbe52e306.png

Edited by capt_oats

31 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Hibs also have a game in hand on you in 6th so if they were to win that 6th place would actually be 21 points. No guarantee they would win it but you know what I mean. A gap of 8 points between Livi and the Top 6 is a wider margin than in either of those other two seasons.

The other thing is, as @Ron Aldo mentioned further up the page, you also had Killie absolutely crash and burn in the way they did. On top of the runs Livi had as @RossBFaeDundee mentioned, this was also Killie from December onwards last season.

2 wins in 18 and 11 without a goal is pretty special and the way the league seems set at the moment I don't really see any team replicating that.

14992357_ScreenShot2021-12-03at16_29_24.thumb.png.86790355ddcce966a5cd1e7bbe52e306.png

We could 100% replicate that the way we're going. I think statistically we're one of the longest long ball teams in the world.

“The lowest values for the average length of passes attempted were recorded for two teams with a well-defined style of play: Roberto De Zerbi’s Shakhtar Donetsk and Mauricio Pochettino’s Paris St-Germain (15.7 meters in both cases). Three British teams are at the opposite end of the table: the Scots of Livingston FC (24.4 m) and Motherwell FC (23.2 m), as well as the English side Birmingham City (23.4 m).” (Pass masters: Celtic on top of the world - Inside World Football)

A bit ominous given those long balls are going to 5ft 8 Bruce Anderson up front.

Edited by ATLIS

50 minutes ago, JockyPeebles said:

Saints are going down thanks to Steve f**k-up Brown

Christ. I wish the board would get some credit for managing us so well through a pandemic, or even for providing an environment over the last decade to attract decent footballers and be the second most successful club in Scotland while our support remains tiny, if in some cases moronically critical.

Steve Brown has almost nothing to do with our predicament right now. We were just as shite before the September transfer window; and we've had no chance to spend money since it closed.

Doesn't stop your easy narrative though, which I notice you've essentially been punting for years.

Edited by Mr Heliums

On 03/12/2021 at 15:04, RossBFaeDundee said:

2019/20:

2020/21:

They're fucking doing it again 😠

Aye, nobody else needs to worry about 12th, I think we've got that all sewn up just now.

3 shots on target inside the area in the past 5 games, and I don't think a single one has actually worked a keeper.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, nobody else needs to worry about 12th, I think we've got that all sewn up just now.

3 shots on target inside the area in the past 5 games, and I don't think a single one has actually worked a keeper.

With the bigot brothers in subsequent weeks I'm afraid we'll be challenging for that particular spot.