The Big Relegation Thread

'Sup guys? Missed this place and I am delighted  - DELIGHTED, I tells ya - to be back in the mix.

We are stuffy and hard to beat (opponents' PPG is about on a par with Hearts on the below), but those draws and our inability in front of goal could kill us. We've lost the same number of games as Dundee in the last 8 but they have found a killer touch and won where we've drawn 4. Popular stat doing the rounds is that we've had well over 100 shots in the past six games and scored three goals*. 

image.png.d2dd2d215c575473fd4fa12c7f364f96.png

Overall table for reference:

image.png.94f561d90ab591e81e0236f61a1d752d.png

* Paging @craigkillie and @Sortmeout to the thread: they may have Brophy-related comments to add at this point.

Edited by Coventry Saint

13 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

It’s hard to believe there are teams in the league in worse form than us.

11 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That was exactly my thought!!!!

This league is mad this year. We're still clinging to 8th with just three games won. It's nuts.

We’re only four points off sixth as well. The margins are razor thin right now. Win on Saturday and suddenly we have some breathing space over County and are back in the mix for moving upwards.

However, a win would require scoring a goal and that seems very unlikely just now.

We're one of the worst sides in the league, and have been all season. 

Any talk of the top half is just complete delusion and I'd be surprised if we're not adrift of the top half by January. Nothing about us so far hints at anything but us finishing in the bottom three.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We're one of the worst sides in the league, and have been all season. 

Any talk of the top half is just complete delusion and I'd be surprised if we're not adrift of the top half by January. Nothing about us so far hints at anything but us finishing in the bottom three.

You do this every year mate.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Usually they have something about them but they are horrific this year. Passed it players in midfield with no legs and strikers who hate scoring goals. County and St Mirren are both quite a bit better than them and we proved last night that we are as well. 

Edited by RossDee01

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

This year is different. We have absolutely nothing about us, and we've just lost Wotherspoon for the season. 

We've not had a good transfer window for about 2 years but need 4/5 quality signings to hit the ground running straight away.

Just now, Chewing Taffies said:

This is true but we have some really tough fixtures coming up and could easily end up back at the bottom. 7 games before the winter break where it will be difficult to pick up many points.

Cuff the lot of they diddies mate.

39 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

We’re only four points off sixth as well. The margins are razor thin right now. Win on Saturday and suddenly we have some breathing space over County and are back in the mix for moving upwards.

However, a win would require scoring a goal and that seems very unlikely just now.

We're not beating County on Saturday.  The lad Hungbo will ravage us when we try to camp in and in every area of the park we have neither the will or the quality. 

Not losing the faith quite yet but we will be bottom by Christmas. If there is an upside it's that we should be a financial position to buy our way out of trouble or at least give ourselves a fighting chance, probably, but our parsimony will be our downfall and also it being the January window which should be for fine-tuning not emergency surgery. 

It will end not with a bang but a whimper.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

This league is mad this year. We're still clinging to 8th with just three games won. It's nuts.

An early streaking ahead by the top 5 has been unusually maintained, as the dross* swill around the bilge water, cutting each other's throats.

*Sorry, but no FFC related jibes will be accepted at this time thanks.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

This is how the league looked at (very roughly) the same stage last year. It's obviously a bit fucked because of the Covid call-offs so I've added 19/20 below as well.

1758135429_ScreenShot2021-12-02at11_23_04.thumb.png.3e306d85e84b336aacfacce81485f8a1.png

292850934_ScreenShot2021-12-02at11_25_40.thumb.png.fe45d8cc09db601ff27fdb259518ba16.png

Tbh, it's not massively different. County are still currently bottom on 11 same as both Accies and St Mirren the two years previous. Aberdeen are 7th on 18 compared with St Johnstone and County on 17.

Currently there are 7 points between 12th and 7th. Compared with 6 points in 19/20 and 20/21.

Having said that, it feels like a massive January coming up for a couple of teams. 

Edited by capt_oats

Will be interesting if county do their usual splurge of signings in Jan to try and stay up.

I'd hope Saints would add a few bodies to improve the squad, so the relegation battle might come down to who recruits and who recruits well. Livi for example msy not have the finances, but tend to find some gems that do the job.

A lot could come down to how fit squads stay. For St Johnstone, a lot of the key influential players are now the wrong side of 30, which would possibly indicate more time on the sidelines. 

This is how the league looked at (very roughly) the same stage last year. It's obviously a bit fucked because of the Covid call-offs so I've added 19/20 below as well.
1758135429_ScreenShot2021-12-02at11_23_04.thumb.png.3e306d85e84b336aacfacce81485f8a1.png
292850934_ScreenShot2021-12-02at11_25_40.thumb.png.fe45d8cc09db601ff27fdb259518ba16.png
Tbh, it's not massively different. County are still currently bottom on 11 same as both Accies and St Mirren the two years previous. Aberdeen are 7th on 18 compared with St Johnstone and County on 17.
Currently there are 7 points between 12th and 7th. Compared with 6 points in 19/20 and 20/21.
Having said that, it feels like a massive January coming up for a couple of teams. 
I hadn't realised how badly Killie shat the bed last season. Sitting in 6th with a + goal difference at the beginning of December to then go down via the play-offs takes some doing.

St Johnstone also start mega slowly. I haven't seen much of them this season outwith our games with them and the European qualifiers but don't think they should be panicking just yet.

36 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm clinging to our 'hard to beat' status as the only positive sign at this stage. The worst teams in those two tables you've posted have usually lost a good chunk more than five games at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm clinging to our 'hard to beat' status as the only positive sign at this stage. The worst teams in those two tables you've posted have usually lost a good chunk more than five games at this point. 

You'll be fine.

It's between us, County, Livi, and Dundee.

Dundee In the best position and just need sustained performances to cruise to safety.

County the best side of the other 3.

Livi will dredge points from nowhere.

We're genuinely in danger of getting cut adrift before the January window is even out. Saturday is massive.