The Big Relegation Thread

I know highlights aren't always a true reflection of a match, but having watched Sportscene, it seems Motherwell are in serious bother.

From what was shown, it looked like no exaggeration to say they could've shipped 6 or 7 goals.

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

I know highlights aren't always a true reflection of a match, but having watched Sportscene, it seems Motherwell are in serious bother.

From what was shown, it looked like no exaggeration to say they could've shipped 6 or 7 goals.

You have to take I to consideration that we have around d 15 or so players out eight now. Nearly all the starters are not our starting 11. I do hope we can pick up from here and I do believe Kilmarnock are currently In  the worst position (lost there last 9 games running).

Goodwin and Highes are Celtic daft if you

Goodwin grew up as a Liverpool fan he certainly isn’t ‘Celtic daft’. Guess you’re just assuming that because he’s Irish he must be. He certainly won’t be leaving us to be an assistant.
Anyway, this weekend showed that County - like Hamilton - are capable of pulling a big result out the bag. Both of them have taken points off the Old Firm in recent weeks.
Then you look at Killie and they’ve lost their last eight and haven’t even scored in their last five. They’re clearly the worst team in the league at the moment and Tommy will need to turn it round very quickly if he’s going to keep them up. And he doesn’t even have a transfer window to work with.

5 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

You have to take I to consideration that we have around d 15 or so players out eight now. Nearly all the starters are not our starting 11. I do hope we can pick up from here and I do believe Kilmarnock are currently In  the worst position (lost there last 9 games running).

Rangers fans are like Americans. Live in their own bubble. 
That team we put out on Saturday would have struggled to beat a Junior team. It is misleading because the front 3 are all 1st team picks. The rest would struggle to get a game in Scottish League One.

We we’re down to the bare bones with 7 or 8 guaranteed 1st team picks missing. Rangers would possibly even struggle with that. 

What is true is that if that situation does not improve and soon we would imho be favourites for the drop. 

Edited by welldaft

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree I think it’s ideal for us as well.

Disagree about doing it after 22 matches though, far too early and would be too much of the same thing if you finished bottom half.

12 team leagues boring and ot hampers the development of Scottish footballers young guts that would be given the chance to test there metal against the best

It's boring to for the fans denied a wee trip to the seaside or to big long hawler job up to Inverness the set up is awful and setting football in this country back for years

Think of the national team even if it's only for u19 or u21 levels there the future and bigger league means game time for a lot of boys that age

Making them for experience for it and making them.better all round players in years to come

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

Goodwin grew up as a Liverpool fan he certainly isn’t ‘Celtic daft’. Guess you’re just assuming that because he’s Irish he must be. He certainly won’t be leaving us to be an assistant.
Anyway, this weekend showed that County - like Hamilton - are capable of pulling a big result out the bag. Both of them have taken points off the Old Firm in recent weeks.
Then you look at Killie and they’ve lost their last eight and haven’t even scored in their last five. They’re clearly the worst team in the league at the moment and Tommy will need to turn it round very quickly if he’s going to keep them up. And he doesn’t even have a transfer window to work with.

Goodwin played for Celtic he never played for Liverpool players usually have a deep love for the team that gave them there chance

I have heard him use we many times talinh about Celtic as well and most people have a Scottish and English team growing up

And Jim Goodwins Scottish team is is most certainly is Celtic always has been always will be

28 minutes ago, AJF said:

We were as bad as you suggest however the second goal was offside and the third was Polworth deciding to charge in and kick someone I.e a needless penalty.  The game could have finished 0-1 which would have been a deserved defeat but I wonder if the optics would have been different.

in summary we were guff.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

We were as bad as you suggest however the second goal was offside and the third was Polworth deciding to charge in and kick someone I.e a needless penalty.  The game could have finished 0-1 which would have been a deserved defeat but I wonder if the optics would have been different.

in summary we were guff.

I am going to give up on Saturday after this post. 

But no exaggeration to say that probably for the 1st time ever as a Motherwell fan I saw the line up (minus Campbell and OHara who many fans expected to play) and knew we would lose by a minimum 2-3 goals. Even when we are playing a full strength side v the Old Firm I have misplaced optimism that we may get something. But Saturday was something else. 

That defence and midfield (Polworth and Carroll maybe) are not anywhere near top flight class. The goalie yes. The young RB will hopefully come good but he just turned 17 FFS. Lamie we know all about. Can head the ball all day long but the moment he has to play with his feet. Car crash. The fact he is a starting CB when he should be 2nd if not 3rd choice sums up our predicament at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

And Jim Goodwins Scottish team is is most certainly is Celtic always has been always will be

Typical "He's oirish so he'd crawl over broken glass to be associated with Celtic" nonsense post.

If any team is Goodwin's Scottish team it's St Mirren. A club he spent far longer with than Celtic and a club where he has been both player and manager. Would Goodwin take the Celtic job if offered? Of course he would. Would he take the Rangers job if offered? Equally, of course he would.

9 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Rangers fans are like Americans. Live in their own bubble. 
That team we put out on Saturday would have struggled to beat a Junior team. It is misleading because the front 3 are all 1st team picks. The rest would struggle to get a game in Scottish League One.

We we’re down to the bare bones with 7 or 8 guaranteed 1st team picks missing. Rangers would possibly even struggle with that. 

What is true is that if that situation does not improve and soon we would imho be favourites for the drop. 

I live in my own bubble because I said Motherwell are in bother (which you seem to agree with) and that they could've conceded 6 or 7 goals?

Of course teams struggle when they are missing players, I never argued otherwise, but does that mean I am living in my own bubble because I said they are in bother?

Also looking at the Motherwell starting 11 from Saturday, all but 3 of those players have made more than 10 league appearances this season and 1 of those 3 players is your keeper who only signed in January and is first choice. The average number of league appearances would be 15 which is more than 50% of your matches.

So while you no doubt had players out, it suggests that the vast majority of them have featured in a lot of matches and make up a large part of your squad which is intended to be used when injuries occur. I was just surprised at the manner of the defeat going by the highlights.

Many teams are struggling with injuries, not just Motherwell. St Mirren have a much smaller squad than Well and due to injuries have not had enough players to fill the bench many times this season. In the last few games we have 2 keepers, 3 boys who have never started a first team match and only 2 experienced players on the bench. We have five first team players out. Certainly need a bigger squad for next season.

As an aside what happened to Foley - is he injured?

Presumably, yeah.

There’s been no official word on why he’s been missing but he made a 30 sec cameo appearance against Dundee Utd a few weeks ago and hasn’t been seen since. At least we know he actually exists though, which can’t be said for some of our other January signings.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I heard Jim Goodwin was the biggest spender in the Glasgow Celtic shop which was located at St Mirren home ground. 

"Gutted Rangers didn't need to use Dens, resulting in Dundee going into administration", type post. :whistle

22 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I heard Jim Goodwin was the biggest spender in the Glasgow Celtic shop which was located at St Mirren home ground. 

Is your club not due another administration? You could go for the hat trick. Now away back to the seaside league. 😂 

6 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Our squad was so bare a few weeks ago that we had to name two keepers on the bench.

Exactly, that's Hamilton, St Mirren and St Johnstone all failing to fill a bench with players this season, let alone senior ones. At one point we had 3 senior players on the bench (1 a goalie) and zero options. Every team has had issues and Covid problems affecting their squads. I get Motherwell's are a little extreme, but their squad is substantially larger than all the other bottom half teams to say the least. 

9 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Many teams are struggling with injuries, not just Motherwell. St Mirren have a much smaller squad than Well and due to injuries have not had enough players to fill the bench many times this season. In the last few games we have 2 keepers, 3 boys who have never started a first team match and only 2 experienced players on the bench. We have five first team players out. Certainly need a bigger squad for next season.

Yep, Foley's apparently injured.

We also couldn't fill our bench on Saturday. Morrison, Cornelius and Devine have never started a first team game. 

We have an official list of 11 players injured or ill. Plus guys like Foley, Smith and Nolan so aye. An injury list of pushing 14 players plus we had O'Donnell suspended so were missing at least 15 players from our massive squad.

Were we pish on Saturday? Absolutely. Did our manager trying to get them to play the way the team had been playing contribute to that? Absolutely. Was it a surprise given our back 4 had literally never started a game together? Absolutely fucking not.

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 19.38.05.png

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

Exactly, that's Hamilton, St Mirren and St Johnstone all failing to fill a bench with players this season, let alone senior ones. At one point we had 3 senior players on the bench (1 a goalie) and zero options. Every team has had issues and Covid problems affecting their squads. I get Motherwell's are a little extreme, but their squad is substantially larger than all the other bottom half teams to say the least. 

Our squad is larger because we had the injuries, we have signed a keeper most months and we padded the numbers out in January with people who are subsequently injured.