The Big Relegation Thread

Dundee Utd, not just for the size of club, have to be by far the biggest surprise to go down and have as bad a season as they did. Last July everyone was raving about their squad although I know some of their fans had concerns about the lack of defensive cover.

3 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Dundee Utd, not just for the size of club, have to be by far the biggest surprise to go down and have as bad a season as they did. Last July everyone was raving about their squad although I know some of their fans had concerns about the lack of defensive cover.

I had just assumed that once they punted Ross they'd spend big cash in January and take a comfortable 10/9th. Instead they appointed Fox, didn't address the goalkeeper issue and fell to bits.

On paper signing guys like Levitt and Fletcher indicated they were in for a great offensive season, if not a bit iffy at the back. Even having Watt was a big thing too and he just spat the dummy as usual when he isn't first choice or has to actually work to get into a side

Signing Fletcher - good player, not a great scorer - when Watt - good player, not a great scorer - was already there, was odd.

Signing McGrath as an attacking midfielder was nice but a strange priority compared to a six when Levitt was already there.

Given the defence was ok-ish last season I can understand not making massive changes there in summer but not fixing that in January was mental.

And as for not finding a GK then, when it was clear the summer moves were a disaster, that was absolutely criminal.

It takes a lot to relegated in Scotland tbh... managing it with United's financial advantage compared to many is really quite something.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

I had just assumed that once they punted Ross they'd spend big cash in January and take a comfortable 10/9th. Instead they appointed Fox, didn't address the goalkeeper issue and fell to bits.

I was genuinely surprised (relieved) in January when Utd (and to a lesser extent Killie) didn't do more in the window. Including bringing Max Johnston back from loan, we basically signed an entirely new defence as it was killing us on a weekly basis (even if we weren't getting humped). County tried to address their problem getting goals by bringing Brophy and Murray in - but Utd did more or less hee-haw which now looks like a textbook example of a false economy.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Cracks me up still that United could have kept Carson, and could probably have signed Gogic, and those two players would almost certainly have been the difference and kept them up.

Letting Carson go was one of the least farcical decisions we've made. Carson was pissed off after being signed last season to replace Siegrist who subsequently wasn't sold. Carson then wanted to join up with Robinson again this summer after he'd already reunited with him on loan at Morecambe.

Choosing to let go a player who had only a year left on his contract and had made clear he wanted to leave was not a bad decision. It's the wisdom of replacing him with a keeper who offers about as much resistance as a piss-soaked sheet of newspaper that I take issue with.

Edited by captainkev

1 hour ago, captainkev said:

Letting Carson go was one of the least farcical decisions we've made. Carson was pissed off after being signed last season to replace Siegrist who subsequently wasn't sold. Carson then wanted to join up with Robinson again this summer after he'd already reunited with him on loan at Morecambe.

Choosing to let go a player with only a year left on his contract and had made it clear he wanted to go was not a bad decision. It's the wisdom of replacing him with a keeper who offers about as much resistance as a piss-soaked sheet of newspaper that I take issue with.

What's mental is that apparently we were close to signing Carson that season as we had doubt with Stryjek and wanted to let him go. He chose Utd over us and sat on the bench for a summer. Always seemed like a really top keeper whenever we played against him, and he had one standout game in particular against us that had me in disbelief.

8 hours ago, Swello said:

I was genuinely surprised (relieved) in January when Utd (and to a lesser extent Killie) didn't do more in the window. Including bringing Max Johnston back from loan, we basically signed an entirely new defence as it was killing us on a weekly basis (even if we weren't getting humped). County tried to address their problem getting goals by bringing Brophy and Murray in - but Utd did more or less hee-haw which now looks like a textbook example of a false economy.

Can probably all be put down to one thing - giving too much credence and responsibility to Tony Asghar.

12 hours ago, ATLIS said:

On paper signing guys like Levitt and Fletcher indicated they were in for a great offensive season, if not a bit iffy at the back. Even having Watt was a big thing too and he just spat the dummy as usual when he isn't first choice or has to actually work to get into a side

Makes beating us in a game where a win would've got us into the top 6 all the more annoying. Esp with their dodgy defence, and even dodgier keeper, and Shinnie was the only player to have a shot on their goal. 

Though for sporting integrity reasons we didn't turn up against County and Killie either so they both took 3pts from us too.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Tony Watt on about £7k a week in the Championship is some laugh.

Especially when the average away gate will be about 250.

12 hours ago, Swello said:

It's worse than that, we actively got rid of half a dozen players including the second choice keeper and the only other senior centre forward at the club. Absolutely criminal.

13 hours ago, Swello said:

To be fair we signed Vassell in January, who has pretty much saved our season.