The Big Relegation Thread

57 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Motherwell's form wasn't great under Alexander but it seemed a strange time to sack him as you'd just let him assemble a squad over most of the summer.

Hamill doesn't seem the type to rant at the players and get them performing . 

Half the problem is that we didn't - we half-arsed it and pretty clearly didn't trust him with the full pot. We dithered in the summer and that contributed significantly to where we are now.

43 minutes ago, Swello said:

Half the problem is that we didn't - we half-arsed it and pretty clearly didn't trust him with the full pot. We dithered in the summer and that contributed significantly to where we are now.

I mean half arsing it is probably better than letting someone ruin a squad, I'm thinking Stubbs and Craig here! 

15 hours ago, Hendo said:

If McInnes keeps a Killie side with that squad up then it'll be his greatest ever managerial achievement IMO.

They'd better hope Armstrong doesn't get injured.

I don't disagree with you too much there, although I wasn't overly impressed with Dundee Utd last night (albeit they had 3 good chances in the last 15 minutes). 

I was of the opinion that we were doomed to go don, however when you see the way we played against Aberdeen and Dundee Utd we're as good as they are, however we need to start taking our chances more often.  

I don't know who will go down as teams start winning games you don't expect them to win when relegation becomes a serious reality. 

If I was a Motherwell fan though I would be extremely worried as they have been poor now for months, worse than us. 

On 29/01/2023 at 09:18, djchapsticks said:

Aberdeen's early season victories are enough to keep them out the conversation I feel.

Watch their squad of 'professionals' respond on Wednesday night against us now as well now that they have had Goodwin emptied.

Very prescient.

We're in this, and lose on Saturday and we are very much in this.

On 02/02/2023 at 07:53, Jamie_Beatson said:

I thought Dundee United were a reasonable looking team who lacked a real cutting edge when they beat us last month. They had orders of magnitude more about them than Motherwell did last night.

Aberdeen are surely too far ahead and have too many good players to be dragged into even a fight for the playoff spot. There's too many teams below them who will do well to get past 35 points. Aberdeen probably only need two wins and two draws to be safe, which they'll get easily. Especially if we have to travel to Pittodrie again.

Fairly crap set of fixtures for the bottom four this weekend - if any of them manage a win that'll be massive. Hopefully none do, giving Saints a free hit at Celtic on the Sunday.

And where are these coming from?

23 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Their home form is completely different though, a real Jeckyll and Hyde team.

Having watched Killie fail to beat 10 man St Mirren for 85+ minutes at Rugby Park in full HD, going to need a citation here.

The two worst teams in the league are Kilmarnock and Motherwell.

I’d be astonished if that wasn’t our 2023 bottom two. No idea who’ll be 11th or 12th, though. 

Motherwell - Shite team, shite manager

Dundee United - Decent team, shite manager

Ross County - Shite team, decent manager

Kilmarnock - Shite team, very good manager

So aye, for me, as it stands Motherwell look standouts for 12th.

I think McInnes can drag Kilmarnock to safety, likely through a collection of shitfests after the split. 11th a shoot out to decide whats more important, manager or squad. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Motherwell - Shite team, shite manager

Dundee United - Decent team, shite manager

Ross County - Shite team, decent manager

Kilmarnock - Shite team, very good manager

So aye, for me, as it stands Motherwell look standouts for 12th.

I think McInnes can drag Kilmarnock to safety, likely through a collection of shitfests after the split. 11th a shoot out to decide whats more important, manager or squad. 

Random guy - fuckin w****r.

On the basis he gave Ross County - decent Manager tag. Shame on you. 

This is why there was no real danger of Aberdeen going down. They are low on confidence and brittle but there are five stinking sides below them in the form guide.

Screenshot_20230205_162356_Chrome.thumb.jpg.891c0edcd99e7875fcf33e884f004e63.jpg

38pts absolutely guarantees safety, IMO

Safe to sat the top 4 here are safe, needing at most 2 wins from 13 games.

Id say we're safe too tbh. Our record v bottom half sides is great and thats the majority of our games now, with none v the OF. Sitting at ~34 points by the split is realistic and leaves just 1 win needed to guarantee it. If we are relegated from there then itll have taken a monumental collapse of about 6pts from 13 games.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20230205_162356_Chrome.thumb.jpg.891c0edcd99e7875fcf33e884f004e63.jpg

38pts absolutely guarantees safety, IMO

Safe to sat the top 4 here are safe, needing at most 2 wins from 13 games.

Id say we're safe too tbh. Our record v bottom half sides is great and thats the majority of our games now, with none v the OF. Sitting at ~34 points by the split is realistic and leaves just 1 win needed to guarantee it. If we are relegated from there then itll have taken a monumental collapse of about 6pts from 13 games.

You've probably jinxed it now.