The Big Relegation Thread

6 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Surely even the most pessimistic St Mirren fan will be thinking that future visits to this thread for us will be along these line…

I keep clicking in but it's basically just been force of habit for the past couple of years. Obviously being this safe by Feb 1st is new territory. 

My preference for who goes down is now dictated by which outcome will be the funniest. Aberdeen would be funniest, followed by St Johnstone, but they'll be safe.

So I'm going to go United>Motherwell>Killie>County in order of hilarity. 

Everything about Motherwell screams relegation tbh.

Was their form in calender year 2022 not near the worst in the league? Rookie manager, shit soft squad, and a poor transfer window leaving them reliant on free agents floating about in February.

Gamblers choice for who joins them in the bottom two but think McInnes keeps Killie safe.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Everything about Motherwell screams relegation tbh.

Was their form in calender year 2022 not near the worst in the league? Rookie manager, shit soft squad, and a poor transfer window leaving them reliant on free agents floating about in February.

Gamblers choice for who joins them in the bottom two but think McInnes keeps Killie safe.

If McInnes keeps a Killie side with that squad up then it'll be his greatest ever managerial achievement IMO.

They'd better hope Armstrong doesn't get injured.

I thought Dundee United were a reasonable looking team who lacked a real cutting edge when they beat us last month. They had orders of magnitude more about them than Motherwell did last night.

Aberdeen are surely too far ahead and have too many good players to be dragged into even a fight for the playoff spot. There's too many teams below them who will do well to get past 35 points. Aberdeen probably only need two wins and two draws to be safe, which they'll get easily. Especially if we have to travel to Pittodrie again.

Fairly crap set of fixtures for the bottom four this weekend - if any of them manage a win that'll be massive. Hopefully none do, giving Saints a free hit at Celtic on the Sunday.

51 minutes ago, Hendo said:

If McInnes keeps a Killie side with that squad up then it'll be his greatest ever managerial achievement IMO.

They'd better hope Armstrong doesn't get injured.

I was thinking this about Killie. They have absolutely blagged it if they stay up. Fair play if they manage it. Big rebuild needed in the summer if they survive, and probably if they don't. As we have found in the past, the problem is it's hard to plan when you don't know what league you'll be in.

2 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I thought Dundee United were a reasonable looking team who lacked a real cutting edge when they beat us last month. They had orders of magnitude more about them than Motherwell did last night.

Aberdeen are surely too far ahead and have too many good players to be dragged into even a fight for the playoff spot. There's too many teams below them who will do well to get past 35 points. Aberdeen probably only need two wins and two draws to be safe, which they'll get easily. Especially if we have to travel to Pittodrie again.

Fairly crap set of fixtures for the bottom four this weekend - if any of them manage a win that'll be massive. Hopefully none do, giving Saints a free hit at Celtic on the Sunday.

To be fair that was out worst performance of the season last night. And by some distance. We have been competitive in most games inc home games. But that was a new low. 

The million $ question is that now the level we are at. Is that where our season is headed. If so then we will finish bottom and comfortably adrift. No ifs no buts. 

We have been reliant on other teams losing but most are starting to pick up the odd win. I would say our squad is also the weakest in terms of numbers and depth. We now apparently have one fit CB. We have a midfield that is as strong as wet paper. 

I am not sure changing Manager would make a difference. But I think we need to do it and hope by some miracle a new man can get a tune out of the squad. 

38 years in the top flight is nothing short of surreal for a provincial club. It was always going to happen at some point. And with the 2 Saints clubs investing more in wages and Livi doing what they do best then it is no surprise we would run out of steam at some point. 

Edited by welldaft

Aye, it's over. 

We won three of the first four games of the season. In the following 19 games we've picked up 11 points so our position is totally skewed by a good start to the season. No matter how you look at the form tables, we're fucked and there's zero evidence to suggest Hammell can turn it around. If anything, the last few games would suggest we're continuing to get worse.

It's definitely time to grace the Championship with our presence. 

2 hours ago, CoF said:

Aye, it's over. 

We won three of the first four games of the season. In the following 19 games we've picked up 11 points so our position is totally skewed by a good start to the season. No matter how you look at the form tables, we're fucked and there's zero evidence to suggest Hammell can turn it around. If anything, the last few games would suggest we're continuing to get worse.

It's definitely time to grace the Championship with our presence. 

Are Motherwell likely to stick with Hammell no matter how bad things get? I don't think United will be changing manager any time soon 

8 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Are Motherwell likely to stick with Hammell no matter how bad things get? I don't think United will be changing manager any time soon 

Who knows is the answer. I would say 90% of fans thinks it is time for change. If as expected we lose again on Saturday then that will be 95%+.

I think he should go after last night and indeed the last few months results. But last night was a real wake up call for the fans and even possibly for Hammell. We look like we are only headed in one direction. 

If we are to harbour any hopes of a Houdini act we need someone to come in who can motivate this sorry shower of players to at least resemble a football team. 

12 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Just popped in to see what it’s like in here. I’ll make myself comfy. 

Give me a couple of weeks to get safe and you can have my wee cave in the corner. 

It’s where I go to cry over poor manager decisions.

26 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

We’re generally not trigger happy with these things but we definitely know when it’s a lost cause.  

I reckon they’ll give him a few weeks to see if the 7 new signings make a difference. We’re well on course for the drop, if there’s not signs of improvement I don’t think they have a choice.

29 minutes ago, CoF said:

We’re generally not trigger happy with these things but we definitely know when it’s a lost cause.  

I reckon they’ll give him a few weeks to see if the 7 new signings make a difference. We’re well on course for the drop, if there’s not signs of improvement I don’t think they have a choice.

We don’t have the luxury of a few weeks imho. Lose Saturday and he should be gone. 
Give us time to try and find the messiah that will lead us to the play off spot or more unlikely 10th and above.

50 minutes ago, welldaft said:

If we are to harbour any hopes of a Houdini act we need someone to come in who can motivate this sorry shower of players to at least resemble a football team. 

Motherwell's form wasn't great under Alexander but it seemed a strange time to sack him as you'd just let him assemble a squad over most of the summer.

Hamill doesn't seem the type to rant at the players and get them performing . 

County are turning into a "blooter it and play for percentages" side as although we were generally honking against Hibs (who did not play well but dominated chunks of the first half) we may just have enough to get out of the bottom two if our defence stays fit.

6 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was thinking this about Killie. They have absolutely blagged it if they stay up. Fair play if they manage it. Big rebuild needed in the summer if they survive, and probably if they don't. As we have found in the past, the problem is it's hard to plan when you don't know what league you'll be in.

Gauranteed either way a huge rebuild, as it stands DM will have 23 players out of contract come 1st June and free reign to shape his own squad as he has signed or extended the 5 who'll be left, Armstrong, McInroy, McKenzie, Watson & Wales.

6 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

They'll have managed it with an even worse squad than we had in 2018, fair play to them if they do it.