The Big Relegation Thread

7 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

We will be strong favourites after that shitshow of a window 😫

I'd say we are certainties now.   I thought before the season began we'd go down as McInnes had not strengthened the team as much as I was expecting, and by the end of August there was little improvement.  

I honestly thought he'd have had at least 3 players ready to come in at the beginning of January, especially after getting his recruitment manager in place.  To be worse off up in the forward area than we were at the beginning of the month is completely negligent from all involved.  McInnes has been banging on for months about bringing extra pace into the team and again does absolutely zero about it. 

After this month's shambles maybe the problem previously was not James Fowler, like a lot of folk suggested, and there are bigger issues at play.   

Anyway we have to forget about it tonight and focus on winning (I don't think we will TBH) and hopefully get some sort of run going. 

I'm surprised how bad this season has been as I was expecting far more from McInnes when we employed him but I can't say I have enjoyed watching his teams that much.  I have been to the least number of away games the season (2 so far) since the mid-70s. 

Unfortunately we are stuck with McInnes and co. as there is no way we can afford to pay off another load of management and coaches, however we also can't afford to go down, so Bowie is in a quandry. 

Edited by paul wright scores
Friggin' predictive text

McInnes went with a relatively weak squad at the start of the season and suggested the aim was to stay in touch with a few other teams and reassess in January. He seems capable of getting the most out of his squad but still surprised that he didn’t strengthen. Losing 3-0 at County didn’t suggest that the team is good enough to stay up.

United have not exactly went for it in the transfer window.  Loaned out Watt (amongst a few lesser players) and got in an inexperienced defender.

Fox must see something I don't as for as much we have improved we are still in the mire.  Maybe the fact we have played the two uglies he is hoping we get a wee run to pull clear. 

Bottom half if the split could be very interesting come the end of the season.

Edited by Sugar_Army

On 01/01/2023 at 21:17, bunglebonce said:

I’d say they need to sign four players who would genuinely improve their first XI. Roy will surely sanction half a dozen signings. I’m not convinced they will get what they need and I think they’re down. 

Five out (none of them strikers). Four in (three of them strikers).

Kenneh definitely improves the first XI.
Brophy does too.
Murray? Yes, but there are way too many strikers now!
Josh Stones is a 19 year old striker, who is built like a bull and could be a handful. He could be an asset to the squad, but with Brophy and now Murray, I don't see him getting more than 10 mins here and there.

Malky got rid of two wingers when he should have looked for an upgrade on at least one of them. The defence is light. There are squad balancing issues now and strikers are going to be shoe-horned into systems to give them all minutes. However, that window just about makes the squad competitive enough to aim for 10th...

Edited by bunglebonce

21 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

United have not exactly went for it in the transfer window.  Loaned out Watt (amongst a few lesser players) and got in an inexperienced defender.

Fox must see something I don't as for as much we have improved we are still in the mire.  Maybe the fact we have played the two uglies he is hoping we get a wee run to pull clear. 

Bottom half if the split could be very interesting come the end of the season.

I like Fox but am totally baffled by lack of movement in the transfer window. Loaning Watt out was also a bit of an off one. Have United got some long term injuries coming back that could tip the balance?

Some intriguing games coming up in February should show whether he was right or not.

9 minutes ago, Durnford said:

I like Fox but am totally baffled by lack of movement in the transfer window. Loaning Watt out was also a bit of an off one. Have United got some long term injuries coming back that could tip the balance?

Some intriguing games coming up in February should show whether he was right or not.

Suspect Fox didn't have much choice. The summer spending and Jack Ross' payoff will have stretched the budget. 

13 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Suspect Fox didn't have much choice. The summer spending and Jack Ross' payoff will have stretched the budget. 

You're meant to be receiving a £3m windfall for Souttar but expect it came too late to make any difference.

Still don't understand the Watt situation; loaned to St Mirren but United still picking up most of the wages? Has there been a falling out there?

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This thread will either be filled with Saints fans or Motherwell fans tonight. Already feels like a massive game psychologically. 

From our point of view we are obviously desperate for a win, getting the three points tonight would bring the Saints back into the dogfight and we have a game in hand. However going back to the Killie game before Christmas, loads of great opportunities started to present themselves but we kept blowing it, we played all the city clubs in October with the only favourable result being a win over Dundee United, this then setup a run of fixtures against sides you would fancy yourself to beat but we ended up gift wrapping a point each to County and Killie and missed a few sitters against Livi which frustratingly ended in a draw. St Mirren and Hibs were on poor runs and we were extremely generous to them, positive results would have brought both back within touching distance. St Johnstone have lost seven on the bounce, albeit three were against the Old Firm, I just hope we aren't particularly generous again s the goals we are conceding are ludicrous. Madness to think a win for the Saints and you will have plenty breathing room but a defeat will no doubt have the stress levels rising. Looking forward to the game now that we have plenty new options.

We’re fucked. 

Billy Bowie spent the summer of 2019 telling us how we could challenge for the Premiership title one day but when the club is in the shit you never hear a peep from him or any of the directors.

My wild prediction for the next 7 days is McInnes to resign citing lack of backing from the board, which I think the board would be happy with to avoid sacking him potentially, only to rock up at Aberdeen again with a nice signing on fee to cover what he lost by resigning. 

16 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

We’re fucked. 

Billy Bowie spent the summer of 2019 telling us how we could challenge for the Premiership title one day but when the club is in the shit you never hear a peep from him or any of the directors.

My wild prediction for the next 7 days is McInnes to resign citing lack of backing from the board, which I think the board would be happy with to avoid sacking him potentially, only to rock up at Aberdeen again with a nice signing on fee to cover what he lost by resigning. 

Hearing that Killie were following the new trend of Japanese players coming to Scotland and made an ambitious move for a long-serving forward from the J-League but were just pipped at the post...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64488275

Two fairly tough ones to call tonight. Feel Utd might sneak a win against Killie and the other game? Christ knows. Motherwell are on a honking run as are St. Johnstone.

image.png