The Big Relegation Thread

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

I mean 9 points from 5th to 11th shows we're all as bad as one another.

Livi will be fine now they are onto 31 points. Killie and Dundee United look to have improved too. 

Still, 9 pts is a lot to make up when it's almost half your total after 22 games, so i think St Mirren will be fine too.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Still, 9 pts is a lot to make up when it's almost half your total after 22 games, so i think St Mirren will be fine too.

Possibly but lose a couple of games and you can end up drawn in a bit. Some teams have a habit of improving in January and wouldn't put it past County to get there. 

Dundee and St Johnstone had 29 and 35 points last year and I don't think there is a team as bad as Dundee when when they appointed McGhee. Easily see it being 35/36 points for safety. 

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Possibly but lose a couple of games and you can end up drawn in a bit. Some teams have a habit of improving in January and wouldn't put it past County to get there. 

Dundee and St Johnstone had 29 and 35 points last year and I don't think there is a team as bad as Dundee when when they appointed McGhee. Easily see it being 35/36 points for safety. 

Thing is, we're actually playing well. Goals are an issue, but there was one goal between us and Hearts over 180 minutes. I genuinely don't fear anyone at home.

I remain unworried, and I'm normally a knickerwetter of the highest order. We'll be fine.

3 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Unlikely in the extreme, but Hibs and Aberdeen are hardly safe… Would be glorious if they both shit the bed and went down. 😄

I want Aberdeen to go down for two reasons:

1) it'd be hilarious if Jim Goodwin went down and

2) it'd be hilarious if Aberdeen went down.

On 15/01/2023 at 19:20, No_Problemo said:

😂 I was making a general point about the standard of some of your players, no need to be so defensive. 

I’ll happily admit to Ayr’s failings in terms of trying to finish in the top four, but I’m not sure what relevance the Ayr side of last season has to this one. 

Well, McInnes is the manager...

7 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

No one other than Motherwell and County need to worry about being in the bottom 2 for me. 

Of course other teams will have bad results between now and then end of the season but they all look capable of winning the odd game, which Motherwell and County appear to not know how to do. 

Some of us still have hope but I have to say I am jealous of your stress free days given that you have reconciled yourself with reality.

19 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

The split means that clubs down the bottom always pick up more points in the latter part of the season.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t understand the logic of that.

Bottom six teams will have a much higher proportion of games v the dross from now. They've played two thirds of their games v top six already but only half of their total games v bottom six.

22 games so far (12 v top six, 10 v bottom six)

16 games left (6 v top six, 10 v bottom six)

2 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Bottom six teams will have a much higher proportion of games v the dross from now. They've played two thirds of their games v top six already but only half of their total games v bottom six.

22 games so far (12 v top six, 10 v bottom six)

16 games left (6 v top six, 10 v bottom six)

I’m not buying that.  The bottom six teams are effectively the dross so are trying to get points from each other.  Post split each can get a maximum of 15 points.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not buying that.  The bottom six teams are effectively the dross so are trying to get points from each other.  Post split each can get a maximum of 15 points.

I think the original point is that there's more scope to go on a run and pick up points at a higher rate in the remaining games. That doesn't mean it'll definitely happen for any particular team, but it's more likely.

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It doesn't matter whether you buy it or not, it's true.

The only thing that's true is that your post is ambiguous at best and plain wrong at worst. There are a finite number of post-split points available which cannot conceivably be won by all the clubs down the bottom, given that those clubs only play each other.

Edited by Squonk