The Big Relegation Thread

54 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I think there was a lot of similar conversation around the playoffs in the season we came up too. Regardless of quality in the squads the one aspect that's not talked about enough is the unity in a squad that's likely been pushing for a title vs a team that's had a season of calamity and likely are low on morale/motivation. 

The Partick team we faced looked absolutely gormless at times even when they had Doolan and Erskine playing their heart out trying to bail them out. You just need to look at the chaos of a St Johnstone right now, who've lost the heart they had last season when they won the playoffs. 

Aye, I'd agree. It's the same conversation at the end of every season, and it always depends on how much either team can keep it together, it being the momentum for the Champ side and the morale and fight for the Prem side.

I vividly remember dreading Killie being our playoff opponent in 2021 because unlike the other teams in play such as County, Killie had that recognisable bit of quality, particularly Lafferty during his mad first scoring run with them. The fact is though that we had the momentum and had found a hard grafting style of play that had wore teams out for months, and Killie were very worn out before those games even happened.

That being said, it became only harder to imagine a team from 3rd or 4th managing to get promoted last season, as Caley got as close as anyone has to doing that until they finally hit their wall with 45 minutes to go in Perth. You could probably argue the opposite of that given how close they got, but that 2nd half collapse proved to me that the brief break for 2nd was vital to get back enough energy for the task, and us pipping Raith on the final day for 2nd was crucial.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Aye - you also just need to look at the Kilmarnock side and the championship standard players they continue to give regular game time to. They didn’t even deem the likes of Polworth good enough for them in the championship. The top league sides obviously have the better sides, but it’s nonsense to suggest it would be a stroll for the top league side. 

It was never about ability with Polworth, he just didn't seem to fancy it last season. We did still win the league last season too, even if we made heavy weather of it a bit.

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It was never about ability with Polworth, he just didn't seem to fancy it last season. We did still win the league last season too, even if we made heavy weather of it a bit.

Absolutely, and the current Kilmarnock side would most likely still be the best side in the championship. My only point was that any playoff wouldn’t be a foregone conclusion as there are a few poor players at some of the lower Premiership clubs too. 

I agree with you on that. There are some very bad teams in the Premiership this season - Celtic and Livi are the only two teams I've been impressed with at Rugby Park this season (Rangers the only ones still to visit). I would expect the Premiership team to be favourites, but they're definitely not so far ahead that it would be a clear win against the Championship side.

14 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

When I look at St Johnstone I can at least see some kind of quality there, and they were obviously going well just a few weeks ago. More so with Dundee United though. Then you look at the County/Killie sides and there just isn’t much there. Not that the top four in the championship have much of Premiership quality either 

4 hours ago, the west curve said:

Killie are steadily improving and with Lafferty and Robinson back and a new striker in Vassell, they have more firepower now. Away form needs improvement and if that’s done, a top 6 place is still possible. A couple more signings in this month could be a major factor. 

To be fair though, an ageing Kyle Lafferty and Scott Robinson is barely a ground breaking couple of options up front at Premiership level though. Beyond a purple patch up front with us, Robinson is fairly lucky to still be at Premiership level

Edited by ATLIS

4 hours ago, the west curve said:

Killie are steadily improving and with Lafferty and Robinson back and a new striker in Vassell, they have more firepower now. Away form needs improvement and if that’s done, a top 6 place is still possible. A couple more signings in this month could be a major factor. 

A top 6 place is still possible 🤣

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I agree with you on that. There are some very bad teams in the Premiership this season - Celtic and Livi are the only two teams I've been impressed with at Rugby Park this season (Rangers the only ones still to visit). I would expect the Premiership team to be favourites, but they're definitely not so far ahead that it would be a clear win against the Championship side.

Over 2 legs i think they'd have the edge. Also the play offs are brutal on the players playing 2-4 games against Championship teams before meeting the Premiership team, takes a lot out of them physically. By the time we got to the final all we had up front was a battered Lee Miller sporting a black eye and other bruises, i know we still won them but i think we're only the 2nd or 3rd Championship team to have done so?

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

5 hours ago, the west curve said:

Crazy People Memes: Go Sell Crazy Somewhere Else | My Crazy Email

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Over 2 legs i think they'd have the edge. Also the play offs are brutal on the players playing 2-4 games against Championship teams before meeting the Premiership team, takes a lot out of them physically. By the time we got to the final all we had up front was a battered Lee Miller sporting a black eye and other bruises, i know we still won them but i think we're only the 2nd or 3rd Championship team to have done so?

Yes; they were playing on fumes at the end at Partick. De Vita was on crutches; Hardie was phuqued as well wasn't he?

As I recall the playoff's were two a week as well weren't they.

7 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Yes; they were playing on fumes at the end at Partick. De Vita was on crutches; Hardie was phuqued as well wasn't he?

As I recall the playoff's were two a week as well weren't they.

Hardie got injured before the playoffs but you're right about De Vita, pretty sure he got injured in the semi final second leg at home to united. The players were absolutely out on their feet for the last 20 minutes at Fir Hill

11 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Hardie got injured before the playoffs but you're right about De Vita, pretty sure he got injured in the semi final second leg at home to united. The players were absolutely out on their feet for the last 20 minutes at Fir Hill

Happened right in front of me, one of those injuries you just know it's bad when you see it happen

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

An accurate representation of the relegation battle. Everyone is so bad that we all might survive. Invincible.

mr-burns-door.gif.88fd501e243522cc8f30ad62649da9fe.gif

Precisely this.  It’s like Lake Woebegone in inverse - all our kids are below average.  

Beating St Johnstone removed Aberdeen from this conversation. You'd pretty much need to not win a game for the rest of the season to end up in the bottom two now, and even if Goodwin survives January then showing signs of going full Terry Butcher would see him sacked before the split.

Down to 7th place (whodathunkit?) after a tough few games - time for us to show some of that improved resilience we've shown this season.

Hadn't quite realized the cup game against Dundee was quite so soon, they'll be well rested and I've got "the fear" now.