The Big Relegation Thread

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

United lost to the old Rangers at Tannadice and Celtic at Parkhead in two of these matches, the game in Glasgow being the more annoying in that a 'contentious' penalty late on, among other things, gave Celtic the two points. There was a four point difference at the end of the season, but I don't think many (any) United fan thought the title was on after the Tannadice loss to Rangers. It had been a bruising encounter to say the least, yet I don't think the referee booked a single player.

Surprised to read about a "contentious" penalty...

Aren't Ayr United in a similar position with the condition of Somerset Park?

Edit - just read the following "It was confirmed that the SPFL statutes only required grounds to have 'bronze standard' facilities (500 covered places), meaning Somerset would be accepted as a Premiership venue with minimal improvement" - Confused!

11 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Aren't Ayr United in a similar position with the condition of Somerset Park?

Edit - just read the following "It was confirmed that the SPFL statutes only required grounds to have 'bronze standard' facilities (500 covered places), meaning Somerset would be accepted as a Premiership venue with minimal improvement" - Confused!

Pretty sure it was at the time of the SFL and SPL merger that the stringent rules were abolished. 

Somerset would be fine for the top flight. Same applies to Cappielow and Gayfield (had Arbroath been promoted last year).

That's not to say those grounds aren't in need of improvement in places, but terracing is much better and would make a welcome change to the top flight's all seater stadia. 

St Johnstone well and truly throwing their hat into the relegation ring with a home thumping by Livingston today. Five defeats on the bounce for the Saintees now. They’re just four points above 11th and they’ve played a game more than the three teams below them. Can Davidson survive this latest setback?

Motherwell and United both conceding late equalisers today. A draw is not a good result for any of those four teams involved really. County need wins soon, or they will be cut off at the bottom. Johnson’s Hibs still look more than capable of doing a Butcher. United and Motherwell still in the thick of it.

65BA1DA0-A89F-44D7-BA03-711C0B535986.jpeg

581573B2-5703-4871-9D04-2F171913E957.jpeg

34 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

St Johnstone will be very lucky to finish 11th.

Not a chance. Our game with County today would get football stopped. 

Us and County will be the bottom 2. It just remains to be seen in what order. 

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

image.thumb.png.70905f3a265fd2ea51b7fa7bf592c66b.png

It would appear County are done and dusted, Killie clinging on. Could probably see Motherwell, St Johnstone or Dundee Utd slip into the playoffs if any of them hit bad form

So I take it Atlis,the Lions are out of this equation, even in January 🤣🤣🤣.

1 hour ago, Troy.1995 said:

So I take it Atlis,the Lions are out of this equation, even in January 🤣🤣🤣.

Wait, is that 538? When the f**k did they notice Scottish football exists? And why?

Anyway, if Nate Silver says County are down then I reckon we'll go on to win the league.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Absolutely seems like it, we're at about 78% for a top 5 finish which carries a good chance of European football

31 points in January means there is essentially a 0% chance you'll be in bottom two. It would take a biblical collapse by Livi and a mental run by both County and Motherwell to haul you back, not factoring in every team below you all performing better than you between now and season end.

Its still incredibly close. County have two games at home against Hibs and Killie coming up. Win those and they're probably out of the bottom 2. Any of the bottom 5 could still go down IMO though United are probably the one side out of them that could go on a run and even make a late push for top 6.

25 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Wait, is that 538? When the f**k did they notice Scottish football exists? And why?

Anyway, if Nate Silver says County are down then I reckon we'll go on to win the league.

It is, they've done it for a few seasons. No clue why, but it seems to be decently reliable in the time I've followed it :D