The Big Relegation Thread

27 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Me sitting back to enjoy St Johnstone potentially nipping at the heels of Aberdeen and St Mirren because it would be funny, only to realise that my team's only feasible chance of staying up involves St Johnstone shitting the bed completely.

Joey meme Blank Template - Imgflip

Reveal hidden contents

This of course is a joke. I've believed we were relegated since February.

You've more chance of catching us than we have of finishing 10th.

Callum Hendry is literally our only goal threat (only goalscorer for 2 months, only player to hit the target from inside the box in 2 months) and our manager is of the mindset we can draw our way to 11th and draw our way through the play offs. It won't end well.

Edited by RandomGuy.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You've more chance of catching us than we have of finishing 12th.

Callum Hendry is literally our only goal threat (only goalscorer for 2 months, only player to hit the target from inside the box in 2 months) and our manager is of the mindset we can draw our way to 11th and draw our way through the play offs. It won't end well.

We have Mark McGhee as manager (who also believes that a draws will see us safe) of a squad of players signed by James McPake. You say Callum Hendry is your only goal threat when he's a goal threat by himself. We need Charlie Adam to be on the pitch for us to even have a goal threat and he plays in approximately fewer than 50% of our games.

Come on, get planning for the play-offs.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We have Mark McGhee as manager (who also believes that a draws will see us safe) of a squad of players signed by James McPake. You say Callum Hendry is your only goal threat when he's a goal threat by himself. We need Charlie Adam to be on the pitch for us to even have a goal threat and he plays in approximately fewer than 50% of our games.

Come on, get planning for the play-offs.

I honestly don't think you realise how bad we are. Think about how shite Dundee are then understand your "underlying numbers" are far better than ours and its literally only because Hendry is scoring from absolutely nothing every week that we're ahead of you. You're due an upturn in results and Adam returning to regular games will be that catalyst, we'll more than likely see Hendry drop off in form and have no answer to it.

You'll win the head to head unless Clark/Hendry has a stormer and/or Adam is out simply because you actually create chances and ones bound to go in eventually, you're lucky if we get a shot on target a match.

Both Dundee and The Sainties have more dig and belief than St Mirren. Thats the most worrying thing for me.  We were utterly devoid of ideas or any form of cohesion at the Motherwell game the other week.  

An inept performance agains Rangers (Club and/or company) is nothing unexpected but the lack of fight is obvious.

I honestly don't think we'll win another game this season. It's now about hoping Dundee and St Johnstone continue to drop points rather than believeing that we'll take anything out of our remaining games. 

You can live with misery, but hope really fucks you up. Seems a very long time ago since there was talk of top 4 being a realistic opertunity... 

Despite the cynicism about him that is displayed on here, I’m finding myself admiring Mark McGhee a tiny bit. A few of my DFC chums are thinking Dundee “might, just might, have a chance” and are getting behind McGhee’s “we can still do this” rhetoric. That’s quite a trick after 0 wins in his first 8 league games.

He could hardly come out and say “We are totally f*****” of course, but until the next game, at least, he has stirred a little something in Dark Blue hearts.

I wish to — honestly, not taking the P — register a smidgeon of respect for that.

He would help himself in his quest to be a resurrection rallying point if he stopped saying numbingly stupid things, of course — Charlie Mulgrew made him look like an absolute tit on Saturday.

Read somewhere that the form (number of wins) for the bottom six sides for 2022 is:

Aberdeen 1

Dundee 1

Hibs 0

Livi 6

St Johnstone 4

St Mirren 5

If these stats are correct then I really struggle to see St Johnston's "were going to finish" bottom line - unless of course its a double bluff and they're heading for 9th?

St Mirren seem to have really struggled since losing their manager but the results show that they surely have the team to do it comfortably.

53 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

You can live with misery, but hope really fucks you up. ... 

Like this? 

11 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

Despite the cynicism about him that is displayed on here, I’m finding myself admiring Mark McGhee a tiny bit. A few of my DFC chums are thinking Dundee “might, just might, have a chance” and are getting behind McGhee’s “we can still do this” rhetoric. That’s quite a trick after 0 wins in his first 8 league games.

He could hardly come out and say “We are totally f*****” of course, but until the next game, at least, he has stirred a little something in Dark Blue hearts.

I wish to — honestly, not taking the P — register a smidgeon of respect for that.

He would help himself in his quest to be a resurrection rallying point if he stopped saying numbingly stupid things, of course — Charlie Mulgrew made him look like an absolute tit on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Read somewhere that the form (number of wins) for the bottom six sides for 2022 is:

Aberdeen 1

Dundee 1

Hibs 0

Livi 6

St Johnstone 4

St Mirren 5

If these stats are correct then I really struggle to see St Johnston's "were going to finish" bottom line - unless of course its a double bluff and they're heading for 9th?

St Mirren seem to have really struggled since losing their manager but the results show that they surely have the team to do it comfortably.

Hibs have 1 win I believe 

For the bottom 6 fixtures, it's a bit complicated. 

Screenshot_20220411-111318_Sheets.thumb.jpg.0a0870c2aae053d54228c63256a654b3.jpg

See the table above. St Johnstone have 20 home and 18 away games scheduled if it remains as is. Dundee meanwhile only have 18 home and 20 away.

An easy way to resolve this would be to switch the St Johnstone and Dundee game right? Well unfortunately that tie is already scheduled to take place at Dundee (thier only scheduled home game right now) so it will means the other teams will be impacted.

I haven't bothered to identify what fixtures could be changed to accommodate Dundee and St Johnstone.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Tbf anyone below 3rd making the top 6 would've had a chance at it, and it was only last week St Mirren were one of the teams vying for a top 6 place.

If you discount the basic fact that they are St Mirren, and they don't do Top 6

31 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

If you discount the basic fact that they are St Mirren, and they don't do Top 6

Well there is that right enough, close but no cigar the last 2 seasons. Unfortunate to lose Goodwin when they did or i think they'd have made it this season, but alas Aberdeen came in and pinched him, and it did neither club any good in the end.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

3 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Charlie Mulgrew made him look like an absolute tit on Saturday.

Did he? Claiming the manager of a team who came from 2-0 down to draw at their rivals is raging is just wee boy patter I'd expect on here.

39 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Did he? Claiming the manager of a team who came from 2-0 down to draw at their rivals is raging is just wee boy patter I'd expect on here.

"Patter"? You know, we all know, that a sarcastic, or clever (or even appearing to be clever) comment rebutting criticism gathers quite a bit of power in the Scottish football goldfish bowl. That "Raging" quip from Mulgrew will become a meme to be trotted out by United, and probably all other clubs', supporters as a stick to beat McGhee with in the future.

Juvenile? Unwarranted? Possibly. But true. There will be very few people seeing the McGhee interview followed by the Mulgrew quip who won't think Mulgrew won the exchange.

The diplomatic way to conduct yourself in interviews is to not show a chink in the armour that allows such jibes to hit. The managers are offered media training that preaches diplomatic language and should warn them against this. It makes for anodyne interviews, but protects them.

Mark McGhee isn't by nature a diplomatic man.

I don't think he is a bad manager, though. I think he would have kept Dundee up if he'd been given a whole season in which to do so.