The Big Relegation Thread

We are certainly involved. If we had anything resembling a normal situation at the club we wouldn't be, but we don't. We have a manager who's came in and absolutely destroyed the normality we had. He's told the team that he's going to be getting rid of a lot of them in the summer and plenty of players have downed tools. His bizarre behaviour and rambling post match interviews are clearly indicative of a guy who's losing the plot. When he arrived it was all the next level, top six and Europe and good squad of players chat etc. A few weeks later he always knew we were in a relegation battle :D

The best case scenario from here is we somehow scrape 10th. We will obviously lose next week and i assume St Johnstone will too, so we hopefully go into the split six points ahead.

image.png.d057326974d95f28a20d2c3d1bf06a07.png

The first post split game will probably be us visiting Perth. If we lose that we will be three points ahead with a worse goal difference and four games to go. In that position we become favourites for 11th IMO.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's still just between us two, I can't see St Mirren going 5 games without a single win and that's all they'll need.

I think that may come down to the mentality of the other three bottom sixers. 

Based on the way we're playing, we could end up on the right side of a 3-1 and get ourselves almost over the line. But it's far more likely that better organised, more motivated teams will continue to find it very easy to score against us.

If everyone we play feels they have something to play for still then we could really struggle. Will be interesting to see when we play each other, for example. If it's soon after the split, I think you'll turn us over.

17 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I think Dundee have to win next weekend as well to close the gap, otherwise having to gain 3 wins over us post-split is a tall order, though obviously not impossible.

Dundee don't need a 3 game swing, only 2 and a draw and that assumes the GD (currently 6 in your favour) isn't whittled away next weekend and when we beat you.  If we don't beat you, everything else is immaterial.  

5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Dundee don't need a 3 game swing, only 2 and a draw and that assumes the GD (currently 6 in your favour) isn't whittled away next weekend and when we beat you.  If we don't beat you, everything else is immaterial.  

The goal difference, difference, is 12 goals.

Unless we're absolutely thumped next week (which can happen) I can't see Dundee overhauling that.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

The goal difference, difference, is 12 goals.

Unless we're absolutely thumped next week (which can happen) I can't see Dundee overhauling that.

Yep, I misread the table on the GD.

Regardless,  point still stands that it's not 3 wins but 2 plus a draw to overtake, all things being equal. 

10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yep, I misread the table on the GD.

Regardless,  point still stands that it's not 3 wins but 2 plus a draw to overtake, all things being equal. 

Yeah I think your chances rest on next week.

3pt gap going into the split and there's every chance. Just beat us then gain 1pt more and you're grand.

6pt gap going in and you can only really afford to lose one game after the split.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I genuinely can't see us moving out of 11th. Up or down. There's still too many issues there. 

The management being the main one.

The biggest positive is we seem to have fortunately stumbled onto a confident goal scorer at just the right time. One that might just be enough to see us through a playoff and then we'll see what summer brings.

33 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

I genuinely can't see us moving out of 11th. Up or down. There's still too many issues there. 

The management being the main one.

The biggest positive is we seem to have fortunately stumbled onto a confident goal scorer at just the right time. One that might just be enough to see us through a playoff and then we'll see what summer brings.

If you do finish 11th (as opposed to higher: Dundee are finished) I think you'd skoosh the playoffs. If that happens, is anyone making a case for Davidson staying? 

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

If you do finish 11th (as opposed to higher: Dundee are finished) I think you'd skoosh the playoffs. If that happens, is anyone making a case for Davidson staying? 

To me I think the club have decided Davidson will get the Summer window now regardless of if we go up or down, due to the upturn in results since January. 

I've a nagging feeling we could've done even better if he wasn't so fucking determined that keeping a clean sheet is more important than winning, but it is what it is and you'll get slaughtered for moaning about the run we're on results wise.

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Aye. The chairman and the happy clappers.

The best case scenario for me is that another club comes in for him following the cup double and a relegation turnaround. 

Whoever finished 11th is safe.  Arbroath, The Caley, Partick or Raith ain't beating the Premiership team over 2 legs.  All 4 are very average.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Whoever finished 11th is safe.  Arbroath, The Caley, Partick or Raith ain't beating the Premiership team over 2 legs.  All 4 are very average.

How about if Killie were the team? Looking less likely now but you never know.

9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

How about if Killie were the team? Looking less likely now but you never know.

They're just as average but put a run together at the right time to slightly pull away.  St Johnstone would see them off no bother.

2 hours ago, The Saintee said:

A lot of our fans class the 'three amigos' signed by McInnes on deadline day 31.1.21 as equally horrendous excuses for footballers.

Of the three (a reminder the other two were Fraser Hornby and Florian Kamberi), Callum Hendry was the only one that offered us anything. I think he scored three goals, and was also very good in a 1-1 midweek home draw with Celtic - holding the ball up really well in a manner that is the polar opposite of what Ramirez currently offers us in that respect.

Interesting that he now seems to be consistently showing that, and the timing could hardly be better for Saints.

34 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Interesting that he now seems to be consistently showing that, and the timing could hardly be better for Saints.

Our issue is how long it can last.

We literally create nothing for him, maybe one chance a game at most, and nobody else is doing anything. It's 5 or 6 games since anyone else had a shot on target from inside the box.

Unless that changes we have no chance of 10th.

35 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

A lot of our fans class the 'three amigos' signed by McInnes on deadline day 31.1.21 as equally horrendous excuses for footballers.

Of the three (a reminder the other two were Fraser Hornby and Florian Kamberi), Callum Hendry was the only one that offered us anything. I think he scored three goals, and was also very good in a 1-1 midweek home draw with Celtic - holding the ball up really well in a manner that is the polar opposite of what Ramirez currently offers us in that respect.

He was outstanding for us from winter 19-20 up until the season ended that March. 

He started 20-21 as one of our most promising players but couldn’t score and Davidson’s preferred 5-2-3 didn’t suit him at all.

It’s no surprise to most how he’s doing just now, he’s a very good striker with few weaknesses to his game other than his mentality when things are going against him, but even this looks to have improved as he’s matured.

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

He was outstanding for us from winter 19-20 up until the season ended that March. 

He started 20-21 as one of our most promising players but couldn’t score and Davidson’s preferred 5-2-3 didn’t suit him at all.

It’s no surprise to most how he’s doing just now, he’s a very good striker with few weaknesses to his game other than his mentality when things are going against him, but even this looks to have improved as he’s matured.

Completely agree with this and I think the maturity point is really important. Saturday was a prime example where he was booked early and a couple of years ago I would have had the fear of him getting sent off but he’s showing the maturity to get himself through games in that situation now. 

he’s always going to play on the edge and pick up bookings and red cards but I see a real maturity and discipline in his game now that wasn’t there before. 

Don’t think anyone can realistically say any team will walk the play-offs, though it seems to get said every season.  We are a team who lost to kelty just 9 weeks ago, and only squeezed past Arbroath on pens in the league cup, so there’s no guarantees, despite our improved results recently.

Those games are all about who handles the pressure best. Other than killie putting 4 past Falkirk in the second leg a few years back, and Motherwell humping rangers, they’re mostly close affairs.

Premiership team written first:-

2013-14

Hibs 2 Hamilton 2 (Accies on pens)

2014-15 

Motherwell 6 Rangers 1

2015-16

Killie  4 Falkirk  1

2016-17

Hamilton 1 Dundee Utd 0

2017-18

Partick Thistle 1 Livingston 3

2018-19

St Mirren 1 Dundee United 1

(st Mirren on pens)

2019-20

none. 

2020-21

Killie 2 Dundee 4

4-3 to the Premiership teams as things stand.