The Big Relegation Thread

I do quite like our song of acceptance we have in the Derry, after years of being the yo-yo...

Going up, going down, Dundee FC,

Going up, going down, I say,

Going up, going down, Dundee FC,

Playing football the Yo-Yo way.

After 23 games..

Hibs 13/14 - 7th, 1pt off 6th and 8 clear of 11th.

St Mirren 21/22 - 7th, tied with 6th, 10 clear of 11th.

I don't think it'll happen again, neither us or Dundee will win enough, but the fact there's even a chance reflects horrendously on Robinson.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

After 23 games..

Hibs 13/14 - 7th, 1pt off 6th and 8 clear of 11th.

St Mirren 21/22 - 7th, tied with 6th, 10 clear of 11th.

I don't think it'll happen again, neither us or Dundee will win enough, but the fact there's even a chance reflects horrendously on Robinson.

P&B will be the Wasteland again if it does

19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

but the fact there's even a chance reflects horrendously on Robinson.

smug the hustler GIF by Maudit

Some of those amongst us pointed out he was a horrendous waste of money.

1 hour ago, Hoose Rice said:

Sorry to hear of the impending relegation Dees.  Makes it worse being replaced by Killie. 

GIF by Leroy Patterson

I think a lot rides on next week. 6pts and a worse goal difference is a huge thing to turn around in 5 games, so Dundee need to narrow both before the split.

We're away to Celtic while they play United in the last game, so there's your chance.

I think I'll relax a bit more if Dundee lose that game as it effectively makes it a 7pt gap, so we'd be fine with one win and not losing against them. 

It's still just between us two, I can't see St Mirren going 5 games without a single win and that's all they'll need.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think a lot rides on next week. 6pts and a worse goal difference is a huge thing to turn around in 5 games, so Dundee need to narrow both before the split.

We're away to Celtic while they play United in the last game, so there's your chance.

I think I'll relax a bit more if Dundee lose that game as it effectively makes it a 7pt gap, so we'd be fine with one win and not losing against them. 

It's still just between us two, I can't see St Mirren going 5 games without a single win and that's all they'll need.

If we get to the split with only six points to catch up on one or two teams ahead a bit of scoreboard pressure could come into it. Cut the gap to three points on someone in the first game and who knows what happens. Might come down to how the fixtures come out.

Unfortunately it’s the same thing with Dundee catching us up… 

2 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

If we get to the split with only six points to catch up on one or two teams ahead a bit of scoreboard pressure could come into it. Cut the gap to three points on someone in the first game and who knows what happens. Might come down to how the fixtures come out.

Unfortunately it’s the same thing with Dundee catching us up… 

Goal difference will play a part maybe.

Dundee are almost an extra point behind due to the difference, not the situation with us and St Mirren.

I think we'll know for sure after the first set of split games what chance we have of either 10th or 12th.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Optimistic & say we get 10 points? Means everyone else needs 5 points which is probably going to happen. 11th is still where we'll be.

Up until the last couple of games, I thought our results were matching performances. We've been very fortunate to take 6 points from our last two fixtures though. 

That's taken us above a point per game but really, our form is more like that of a team earning that benchmark. Should hopefully mean we can reach 36 points.

Obviously that won't be enough to catch anyone but means Dundee will need 4 wins and a draw from 6 games. 

33 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Optimistic & say we get 10 points? Means everyone else needs 5 points which is probably going to happen. 11th is still where we'll be.

I think 9/10 is the absolute maximum we can reach, and that relies on our defence being shit hot and Hendry continuing to score every game despite getting no service.

I'm not sure we'll win more than 2 as we're not playing well enough to put a sustained winning run together.

One of the things that struck me, is that say we do finish 11th, we’re going into the games with form. There’s not many teams in recent years who’ve done that. The form table shows us in a good light and whilst I agree with Radford that we’ve been poorer recently, we’re still getting results and you can see more confidence on the team. Compared with the Hibs and Killie teams who lost in the playoffs, they were bereft of confidence and on awful runs without winning games. That’s not the case for us and if Dundee catch us, it won’t be the case for them either as they’ll need to pick up some good form to overtake us. 

A positive from our last two matches has been we have got wins against two teams who are pretty much bottom six standard in scrappy close matches.  

I expect every game post-split will follow a similar pattern so the ability to win those is vital. And the same amount of luck could be just as crucial!

I think Dundee have to win next weekend as well to close the gap, otherwise having to gain 3 wins over us post-split is a tall order, though obviously not impossible.

The optimist in me thinks play Dundee first, get the win to practically confirm we’re safe from automatic relegation, and put major pressure on the team in 10th, but then the pessimist (realist) thinks f**k that they could beat us, close the gap and have 4 more matches to make up 4 points. 

So I’m thinking play them last in the hope they’re already confirmed in 12th and we still have a chance of catching 10th.