The Big Relegation Thread

20 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

We seem to be on a similar pattern - here's hoping we get the same spike.

While we've had a bit of a covid "bump" this season it's nothing compared to last season. You see that in our progress between weeks 9 and 15.

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Is that through to the end of the season? Motherwell finished above Dundee United.

It's from this...

https://flo.uri.sh/visualisation/4950575/

..I grabbed the link form the Herald, but it's nothing to do with them, just a visualisation tool hooked up to league data. Where they got that league data from I am unsure, perhaps they didn't bother updating the final day.

I used it a couple of times last season for stuff, and it was right then, but if you look at the final standings you see that both you and St Johnstone are in the wrong position, yet it shows us dropping down to 7th from 6th which happened either in the last game or the penultimate one (can't remember which).

So, yeah, bit odd, in terms of position every other team is in the correct place except for, as you mentioned, United and Motherwell, and, St Johnstone and Livingston.

On 30/12/2021 at 16:34, Mark Connolly said:

4 of our next 5 league matches are against County, St Mirren, Dundee and St Johnstone. The other is our traditional defeat away at Celtic Park.

We could be comfortably safe or in serious trouble after that, and current form suggests the latter.

United are a funny lot. Your results at the start of the season totally went against the script written for you with the team and manager you have, ground out some great 1-0s which have gave you a nice cushion. Definitely catchable though but surely have enough to get to the magic maker, about 38 points?

Odds are interesting, any value for money there? 10er on StMirren at 14/1? 

Screenshot_20211231-192753_bet365.jpg

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

United are a funny lot. Your results at the start of the season totally went against the script written for you with the team and manager you have, ground out some great 1-0s which have gave you a nice cushion. Definitely catchable though but surely have enough to get to the magic maker, about 38 points?

Screenshot_20211231-192753_bet365.jpg

Of course United can be relegated. 

20 hours ago, Ric said:

For reference this was the relevant weekly positions of the two teams that were relegated..

Ms4ZW9L.png

(click image for zoom)

Had honestly forgotten Killie was basically a mid-table team until falling off a cliff the last 2 months. Bit of a gut-punch for their fans.

13 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I do not gamble, so this might be completely wrong, but for "value" surely Motherwell is the best bet there? Not saying Motherwell will be relegated, just that at 250/1 it's surely the best value. I could be completely wrong here, I really know next to f**k all about gambling.

7 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Had honestly forgotten Killie was basically a mid-table team until falling off a cliff the last 2 months. Bit of a gut-punch for their fans.

While I think the last day's results weren't added in, it still shows the two classic paths to relegation. A Hamilton bumping along the bottom for most of the season, meanwhile Killie did their dying swan act.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

I do not gamble, so this might be completely wrong, but for "value" surely Motherwell is the best bet there? Not saying Motherwell will be relegated, just that at 250/1 it's surely the best value. I could be completely wrong here, I really know next to f**k all about gambling.

Motherwell could lose every one of their remaining 18 games and still have a reasonable chance of avoiding bottom spot. It's not value if it's definitely not happening.

On 31/12/2021 at 12:04, Ric said:

And for clarity, here are the positions from the rest of the bottom six..

UHQdxWW.png

(click image for zoom)

I think it's only counting the pre-split games, which would explain St Mirren dropping from 6th to 7th as that obviously couldn't have happened any later than that.

Screenshot_20220101-130729__01.thumb.jpg.0b2763d7f369c2c89f126b1c51f2a623.jpg

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think it's only counting the pre-split games, which would explain St Mirren dropping from 6th to 7th as that obviously couldn't have happened any later than that.

Screenshot_20220101-130729__01.thumb.jpg.0b2763d7f369c2c89f126b1c51f2a623.jpg

Yeah, I think you are right. As a "quick glance" guide it gives an idea of who was doing well and who wasn't in terms of a whole season, but clearly not the run in.

Edited by Ric

37 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Motherwell could lose every one of their remaining 18 games and still have a reasonable chance of avoiding bottom spot. It's not value if it's definitely not happening.

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, going by fivethirtyeight, as it stands, there's a <1% chance of Motherwell being relegated.

Reveal hidden contents

520466285_ScreenShot2022-01-01at12_53_30.thumb.png.a75a40091d1af4ed254b22f996d1e7c9.png

"reasonable chance", is the operative word there. Isn't that the point with these things? You are making a judgement call based not only on the team involved but the odds being offered. At 250/1 it's the largest jump and clearly from the money already placed, it's the divide between who is likely to be involved in the relegation dog fight and who isn't.

As I say, I don't gamble, I see little point in throwing money away.

Just now, Ric said:

It could very well be. I think as a "quick glance" guide it gives a good idea of who was doing well and who wasn't.

Yeah if anything it should probably cause more concern for the midtable teams, there's still a long time left to get dragged into it.